#1 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:06 AM

Tonight I took my Graphics card out to clean the fan. After placing it back in I could not get a post and the ASRock Dr Debug on my Z97 Extreme 4 is not lighting up. As well only half my fans start up. I did a basic teardown to the MB and carefully rewired it. I tested without the Graphics card and still no post or lights. I can't decide if it's the power supply or the motherboard. Either way I might be taken a sabbatical from gaming. I have encrypted passwords on a Raid setup so I hope it's not the motherboard.

#2 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

My wife says if I can't fix it in the next month I can replace the motherboard and even upgrade the CPU. I'm clearing the CMOS right now. I was able to get the HDD's to boot, but no video signal from the graphics card or onboard video, fan power 4 and 6 or still not juicing my fans and I'm also still not getting post codes. I took the power supply out of my wife's computer and installed it and same issues so it's not a power supply issue. This is why I do networking and not hardware, lol. 

#3 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

Oh and I'm never buying ASRock again. It's always had trouble with initial boots. I'm now wondering if I had a defective board and it just decided to die on me now.

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

Bummer story man…
I agree with you about asrock also.

I had one bad experience with the only motherboard of theirs that I owned and I never went back

#5 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Sort of a separate issue from this, but these sorts of stories are why I really hope the game gets to console at some point…

I'm remotely managing a gaming PC for my uncle just for this game (huge pain).

If it were on console, he would simply play on that. At his age literally everything else he does computing wise is on his iPad or phone, so this whole PC setup is tremendous overkill, but currently necessary, just for a golf game.

#6 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

It doesn't help my case is just a bit too small. I might get a bigger case as well. I used to build computers with my roommate for extra cash in 2000-2001, but the components are so much more complex and they also don't seem as well made.

When I was rebuilding it this morning I noticed how much the board bent when putting in the 24 pin ATX power. I don't remember dealing with that crap. Granted we mainly built basic computers for the parents in our neighborhood for their kids, but even then I don't remember the few gaming rigs we built being such a pain in the ass. I have big hands so the biggest pain in the ass is putting in the pwrled, reset, and hddled pins. Can barely grip those bastards, lol.

#7 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

Bummer story man…
I agree with you about asrock also.

I had one bad experience with the only motherboard of theirs that I owned and I never went back

It is what it is. I built this computer 2 1/2 years ago so at least I got some time with it. I'm not going to complain too muchif I get to upgrade to an I7, ;) 

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

It is what it is. I built this computer 2 1/2 years ago so at least I got some time with it. I'm not going to complain too muchif I get to upgrade to an I7, ;)

My hackintosh build was with an Asus Republic of Gamer's board that I've been thrilled with… I have reconfigured it added and subtracted to that build about six times over the last 3 to 4 years and everything just keeps working wonderfully
  • Drgnslyr221 likes this

#9 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

My hackintosh build was with an Asus Republic of Gamer's board that I've been thrilled with… I have reconfigured it added and subtracted to that build about six times over the last 3 to 4 years and everything just keeps working wonderfully

I'm looking at Asus boards. I've heard good things.

#10 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

I'm looking at Asus boards. I've heard good things.

They are very good… Definitely worth the money especially for something so critical

#11 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

Do they have LED error codes? I liked that about the ASRock. Of course I'm not getting anything right now.

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

Do they have LED error codes? I liked that about the ASRock. Of course I'm not getting anything right now.

Pretty sure yes - there's a two digit LED display in there that shows status and I'm pretty sure it does show error codes also…

It's just been so long since I've had any reason to look in there or see anything wrong - basically never
  • Drgnslyr221 likes this

#13 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

I noticed that all the Intel boards at Microcenter only use DDR4 memory. Guess I'll have to go to Amazon because I really don't want to spend another $150 on memory.

#14 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

If it were on console, he would simply play on that. At his age literally everything else he does computing wise is on his iPad or phone, so this whole PC setup is tremendous overkill, but currently necessary, just for a golf game.

I'm finding that it's not just the older folks that are eschewing PC's for mobile devices but the younger generation too.  I would love to be able to play JNPG and TGC on my iPad.  :)

-MERACE

• Drgnslyr221 likes this

#15 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

I'm finding that it's not just the older folks that are eschewing PC's for mobile devices but the younger generation too.  I would love to be able to play JNPG and TGC on my iPad.  :)

-MERACE

I tried playing the game on my surface and I swear I heard in the distance someone yelling "not bloody likely, mate!" and they were right, lol. Guess I'll be playing poker for the next month unless clearing the CMOS works (not bloody likely either).

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

I'm finding that it's not just the older folks that are eschewing PC's for mobile devices but the younger generation too. I would love to be able to play JNPG and TGC on my iPad. :)

-MERACE

Do you mean streaming to your iPad or natively?
You can already do the streaming part, but for perfect golf at least the controller situation isn't working right. (iOS I mean)

I also agree about the console part…
Depending on performance, it's possible I would also be a console player as it's basically the only game I play with any regularity. Or at the very least I would also have a console version to take with me when I go other places for vacation and so forth.

#17 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

I really wish I could play JNPG on my Surface. I've had it for almost two years and it's the best thing I've ever owned. If I could play JNPG on it I wouldn't need a desktop.

• MERACE likes this

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

I really wish I could play JNPG on my Surface. I've had it for almost two years and it's the best thing I've ever owned. If I could play JNPG on it I wouldn't need a desktop.

What sort of specs?
Is the lack of a good enough GPU the problem?
  • Drgnslyr221 likes this

#19 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

What sort of specs?
Is the lack of a good enough GPU the problem?

Yeah. It's the I5 8Gb version. Basically onboard video. I put it on the lowest setting and I was getting single digit FPS and the meter clicks were delayed.

#20 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

http://www.bestbuy.c...p?skuId=4330739

They need to made something like this for the surface.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users