Photo

Flag and Pin Visibility

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Flag Visibility (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the flag and pin to be more visible?

1. No, am happy with current visibility levels. (18 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Yes, flag and pin seldom seen in mainview. (10 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

3. Neither as I aim in Topcam view. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Asked a while back re how 'invisible' the pin and flag is from relatively short distances away in the MAINVIEW.

I really don't like using ALT P when the green is in view just seems way too false even after all this time. 

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

The flag and pin are correctly sized as it is now. And their colorisation is also realistic. Against a diverse and sometimes riotous background they are not easy to be seen, especially for those who are forced to play the game at a 720p screen res due to performance issues, when the flagpole quickly vanishes between individual pixels.

Still, any attempt to make flag and pin more visible simply must ask of you, as a player, to perform an additional and extracurricular action, like clicking on an icon or typing onto your keyboard. It's simply not possible to have the pin always clearly recognisable from far away, and if you want to see it more clearly, you would have to work for it. 

Whether the current solution with the approaching and receding flag is elegant or efficient, that is another question. You do know, I hope, that with the F4 and F3 key - I forget which one, sorry - you can see the green and the pin position instantly during your round. That's what I usually do if I want to scout out the flag environment. 

• Vernon520 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

There is already a spot pin feature, like Links had, to more readily see where the pin is.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#4 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

Well I'd like to see the Flag on the Pin wave realistically with the wind. ;)

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#5 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Hell, I can barely see the flag and pin IRL.   Maybe they could put sparklers on the top of the pin... :)

• SDS likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#6 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

sparklers...lol roman candles too lol.... You have the spot pin key (binocular icon) ,you can use f2 to see green, you can use f3 to zoom to your aim, and you have f5 to roam where ever you want.... there is also the AI computer player that will actually hit the shot for you as well if youd like that....

• RobC likes this
Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#7 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Hello,

One of the main things I always disliked about TGC is the billboard and white flag marker. I love the fact that you lose the flag in the background in JNPG and that it is done realistically. I know that Andrew or Mike have stated in the past they are not yet completely happy with the wind and I bet that includes the flag animations. Maybe they are happy with it now, I'm not sure. I voted to leave the realistic flag size and rendering. Better animations are well, better.

We'll see if the Unity upgrade brings some better animation capabilities. I hope so. STEAM gets the Unity upgrade as well if I'm not mistaken, right? The Win/10 is on the same engine but a different version of the game altogether to maximize DX11/DX12 capabilities and Xbox/PC cross platform play and better graphics and performance; plus additional graphical elements. That's my take anyway.

SC  B)

• Vernon520 likes this

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#8 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:23 PM

The flag and pin are correctly sized as it is now. And their colorisation is also realistic. Against a diverse and sometimes riotous background they are not easy to be seen, especially for those who are forced to play the game at a 720p screen res due to performance issues, when the flagpole quickly vanishes between individual pixels.

Still, any attempt to make flag and pin more visible simply must ask of you, as a player, to perform an additional and extracurricular action, like clicking on an icon or typing onto your keyboard. It's simply not possible to have the pin always clearly recognisable from far away, and if you want to see it more clearly, you would have to work for it. 

Whether the current solution with the approaching and receding flag is elegant or efficient, that is another question. You do know, I hope, that with the F4 and F3 key - I forget which one, sorry - you can see the green and the pin position instantly during your round. That's what I usually do if I want to scout out the flag environment. 

I play at 1920x1200 and can seldom see the pin in the mainview although moving the aiming point slightly can often make the flagstick appear more visible than on the first view.  Pity this sharper view is not available whatever the aiming point.

IRL I can see the flag (and pin) way more clearer than I can in PG and seldom have the issues of knowing where the pin is.  I certainly don't need a set of bins to see where the thing is.

I appreciate all the advice given about ascertaining the position but really I was getting at the view we see in the maincam rather than spotpin keys, F2 etc.. 

But I can see from the limited replies so far that there is no overwhelming desire to make the flag/pin more visible in the mainview.  Just the same as the last time I raised this issue.  Ah well so be it. :unsure:

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:34 PM

I'd love for the pin to be more visible without the use of aids.

Perhaps its' just a screen resolution thing?

Anyone playing at 4k?  Any better on that level of resolution?

#10 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

I play at 1920 by 1200 and I can see the pin usually on my approach, provided of course something isn't blocking it.

• StoneComet likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#11 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:16 AM

I play at 1920 by 1200 and I can see the pin usually on my approach, provided of course something isn't blocking it.

I'm pleased that you can. :)   But we shall have to agree to differ as usually I cannot see the pin on my approach without the aids mentioned in this thread and I too play at 1920x1200 resolution.  Shall we just agree to put it down to my eyes rather than a game limitation?  :lol:   

#12 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

I find that the current view of pin and flag is just fine.  I use the overhead camera whenever the flag is obstructed from my view.  Trees, rocks and other plants obstruct my view a lot.  LOL!     

Options are always a good thing.  I see no problem adding a view or two.  

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#13 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

It's fine imo too, last thing i want is to see some neon pin sticking out like a sore thumb, you have the tools to spot pin, just use it.

• erwildcat likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users