11 replies to this topic

#1 Golfdoer

Golfdoer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEden Prairie, MN

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Just wondering when the backswing ratio timer stops and the downswing ratio timer begins.  If I have a slight pause at the top of my swing before beginning the downswing, does that count towards the backswing or downswing?  

In other words, does the downswing timer begin with the downswing movement "begins" or when the backswing movement "ends"?

I've tried experimenting with different pauses and backswing/downswing tempo, but haven't been able to conclude anything.  My results don't seem to be consistent with what I would expect.  

Hoping others can weigh in.   

Also, does ratio factor in on Tour Pro level putting?  I thought I read that this was the only level that it did, but when playing in practice mode where the ratios are listed after every swing and putt I see putting ratios all over the board that don't seem to affect the putt result like I would expect. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback gang . . . . ~Mike 

• Corsair RM850i
  • i56600K @4400 
  • Gigabyte Z170X UD-5
  • MSI GTX 1080 Gaming 8G
  • 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws4 @ 3,000
  • Noctua NH-D14
  • Fractal Design Define R5
  • Logitech G402
  • Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME 256GB

#2 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Downswing timer starts when you begin moving the mouse forward after the backswing.  Pauses are counted as part of the backswing.

Tempo affects Tour Pro putting only.

• worrybirdie likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#3 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Just wondering when the backswing ratio timer stops and the downswing ratio timer begins.  If I have a slight pause at the top of my swing before beginning the downswing, does that count towards the backswing or downswing?  

In other words, does the downswing timer begin with the downswing movement "begins" or when the backswing movement "ends"?

I've tried experimenting with different pauses and backswing/downswing tempo, but haven't been able to conclude anything.  My results don't seem to be consistent with what I would expect.  

Hoping others can weigh in.   

Also, does ratio factor in on Tour Pro level putting?  I thought I read that this was the only level that it did, but when playing in practice mode where the ratios are listed after every swing and putt I see putting ratios all over the board that don't seem to affect the putt result like I would expect. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback gang . . . . ~Mike 

From my experience with 'the pause' at RTS-M I invariably find the ball will go right depending on how long this pause is.  So I now find that if I feel that I have paused for too long and I'm too late to quit the swing, I feel I have to move the mouse forward a bit faster than normal.

• Armand likes this

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#4 Golfdoer

Golfdoer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEden Prairie, MN

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.  Mailman . . . .I too find that invariably the ball will go right if I pause a bit at the top. 

But that's counter intuitive to Joe's response that the pause counts as the backswing. 

You'd think that with a normal downswing after a backswing with a bit of pause at the top that the ball would go left!! (the downswing would be faster in relation to the backswing and the ratio would be less than .25). 

• worrybirdie likes this
  • Corsair RM850i
  • i56600K @4400 
  • Gigabyte Z170X UD-5
  • MSI GTX 1080 Gaming 8G
  • 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws4 @ 3,000
  • Noctua NH-D14
  • Fractal Design Define R5
  • Logitech G402
  • Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME 256GB

#5 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

I usually (always?) go well right as well when I pause too long at the top.  My only explanation (assuming Joe's comment is correct) is that there is a hint of left movement when I "stop" the back swing.  I haven't investigated it further, though - I've just tried not to pause too long!  :lol:

Edited by Armand, 24 May 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#6 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

If I take a fast backswing (with no pause) and my normal downswing the ball goes right, as it should since my downswing is too slow relative to the backswing.  If I take the same fast backswing, a longish pause at the top and my normal downswing the ball will go either straightish or left indicating that my downswing speed is now either near the correct speed ratio or too fast relative to the backswing.  This can only occur if the pause counts as part of the backswing.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

#7 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

If I take a fast backswing (with no pause) and my normal downswing the ball goes right, as it should since my downswing is too slow relative to the backswing.  If I take the same fast backswing, a longish pause at the top and my normal downswing the ball will go either straightish or left indicating that my downswing speed is now either near the correct speed ratio or too fast relative to the backswing.  This can only occur if the pause counts as part of the backswing.

I took 5 mins out on the range to see what is going on again.  I know my mouse speed is relatively quick I suppose so I tried slower and slower backswings with and without pauses.  Again what is fast for you and I are probably quite different and may depend on the mouse sensitivity settings (both in game and in the mouse software - mine is a Razer) .

The reason I don't like having the backswing time being on the slow side is the very real problem of dramatic loss of distance if the swing takes too long (2 or 3 seconds I cannot remember).  But I can confirm that with slower backswings (trying to maintain the same throughswing speed) the block slice to the right is less of an issue (with the pause) but then the loss of distance can be an even bigger problem esp over water if the swing time is too long.

My MO is a relatively brisk backswing with little or no deliberate pause at the top and I then try to judge the speed of the follow through based on what my senses are telling me especially in regard to any accidental pause.  The longer the pause the faster the follow through needs to be.  Adjustments for me are probably very very slight and nowhere near as extreme as I might think they are.

Slower or faster is a choice the OP needs to make and adjust accordingly. 

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#8 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:54 PM

Mailman, you have 3 seconds to complete the swing before loss of distance.

I generally take a slower backswing.  I've timed myself and my swings usually take about 2.25 - 2.5 seconds.  For the test above my backswing took about .25 seconds and then I would pause for a 2 count before downswinging.

#9 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

Just played a couple of rounds at Westhaven which has loads of trees both left and right.  Persisted with a slower backswing and even a slight pause at the top.   Went too much the other way on the downswing in Rd 1 (too quick for the slower backswing) and was rewarded with some early hooks in Rd 1.  So the slower backswing (with slight pause) has all but eliminated the push/slice but it has been replaced with a moderate pull/hook if I get the timing wrong.  Rd 2 saw nothing horrendous off the tee..... now if I can only get the irons going in a consistent direction!

#10 Vanessagox

Vanessagox

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

download from instagram
how to download instagram video
download from instagram
instagram downloader
download instagram video mp4

#11 Vanessagox