#1 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

I've used several course designers before this, and this one reminds me of the level

designers for some of the shooters I've played. It's just an access into the same software they use as professional level designers, and just as unfriendly. The PP devs promised us an easily usable course designer. This is not it. Yes, I've done all the tutorials, printed out hint books, and I still can't do the most basic of tasks in trying to make my vision come to life. It's buggy, its quirky, and its not ready for primetime, though its been out for over a year. Maybe when the W10 version comes out it will be improved...because this version is for the hardest of hard core.

• erwildcat likes this

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

figured out way back it was not for me then i tried again, and again

this stuff is way beyond me i think people who are designing courses might 

have had a little education on computtering or something cause i have been on these things for a bunch

of years and can navigate the machine enough to not have many problems i can't figure out without to much help.

i just hate having to put up posts to try and get the guys who are designing to do some courses i would like to see in the game. 

Hey where them Trump courses fella's

just funning. lol

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

WB,

Just curious what exactly you find unfriendly about Course Forge?

#4 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

WB,

Just curious what exactly you find unfriendly about Course Forge?

Daz - item is headlined Unity is lunacy, so is WB implying that it is the reliance on Unity that is the problem, not Course Forge itself. I found that Course Forge was relatively easy to understand but Unity proved too complex for my old brain. I soon realized that I would never be able to design courses to anywhere near the standard of the ones already being made for this game and hung up my JNPG designer boots 

#5 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

I learned ALOT about Unity, doing one of their video tutorials on how to make a game in Unity.  I fear Unity no longer... lol.

• RobC likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#6 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

I only asked as majority of the work to layout the holes, place tees, pins, hazards etc is all done with CF.

Unity is basically required to sculpt terrain and plant 3D objects.

It just makes me wonder if he actually downloaded CF or is just trying to design using Unity alone, lol.

#7 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

A lot easier than APCD. Less buggy too.

#8 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

Daz I was speaking mostly of Unity. CF is for the most part similar to course designers I've used. Perhaps they could do what they did with CF to the rest of the Unity experience. Create a simplified interface that was specifically made for course design. They could also make it possible to still get directly into Unity to do some of the most sophisticated tricks.

#9 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:03 PM

Found this link to the original CF youTube (from Jan. 2013!) in order to respond to a posting in a different thread. It really belongs here. Notice the fundamental differences between the simple interface in the movie and what it ended up as.

(https://youtu.be/hmqEKRHzM-c)

#10 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Looks and works pretty much the same to me...I can create that same hole in the same amount of time

Course Forge now compared to then is even easier to use I would say...less menu's and more just clicking icons for what you want

#11 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:16 PM

WB, there are really only 4 main parts to the process to create a hole/course.

1 - sculpting terrain (Unity)
2 - outlining and planting desired aspects of the hole (green, fairway, rough, etc), tees, shot points, pins and hazards (CF)
3 - painting terrain textures and adding vegetation (Unity)
4 - Compile course build and play! (Unity/ CF)

You can make as easy or complicated as you wish.

Which of the above points is your hurdle? Might help identify CF or Unity issues.

The interface provided by CF is actually much more user friendly than several other peripheral assets that I have wasted money on. Many are basic text based boxes with limited/ no icons.

At least for me, CF is probably the best bang for buck on a hobby game that I have spent. Certainly has provided more than 30 bucks of entertainment.
  • Crow357, RobC, NoPutt and 1 other like this

#12 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

That's the kind of thing newbies need - a workflow.  I found one on OGT and it made starting out a lot easier.

I think people are running into trouble because all the different steps to making a course haven't been unified, unless you just want to play around in the tutorial terrain.  If that's all you want to do, then Mike's tutorials suffice.  If you want to make a real course, the steps would be something like - 

1.  Watch Mike's tutorials

2.  Follow Joe H's lidar tutorials or ask someone to make the heightmap, import it

3.  Use a workflow combined with the tutorial advice to build course

If you want to make a fresh course on flat terrain in Unity - well don't ask me!

#13 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:38 AM

I never dreamed I would design a golf course, but have now completed 14 holes.  There have been many bumps in the road, but if you stick with it the Unity/CF setup is definitely rewarding.  I can't thank the PP team enough for making this available to us. 

#14 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

I've used several course designers before this, and this one reminds me of the level

designers for some of the shooters I've played. It's just an access into the same software they use as professional level designers, and just as unfriendly. The PP devs promised us an easily usable course designer. This is not it. Yes, I've done all the tutorials, printed out hint books, and I still can't do the most basic of tasks in trying to make my vision come to life. It's buggy, its quirky, and its not ready for primetime, though its been out for over a year. Maybe when the W10 version comes out it will be improved...because this version is for the hardest of hard core.

I had never used any designer software and I could make my first real course (Kytaja Golf, South East) in three months. I downloaded lidar data by myself and made it usable and right size for Unity. Used lidar ascii files to find out the min and max heights of the course. I watched tutorials of lidar from You Tube and Mike's tutorials of Course Forge. Then posted some questions here when in trouble and then it's just patience and hard work. I could also make birds and butterflies fly in the course. There were troubles in all aspects but it was doable.

There are always many thinks that could be simplier and easier, but I think it's great that we can use the same gear as the pros and add our own personal style into it. It's just the question of will to get it done.

So, stop whining and go for it. You have already wasted half year.

• RobC and zmax - sim like this

#15 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

Found this link to the original CF youTube (from Jan. 2013!) in order to respond to a posting in a different thread. It really belongs here. Notice the fundamental differences between the simple interface in the movie and what it ended up as.

(https://youtu.be/hmqEKRHzM-c)

The video you linked only shows the Unity "Scene" window - the rest of Unity is there as well, but out of frame. If you look closely, you can spot Mike's cursor moving outside to set sculpting brushes in the nearby, hidden Unity terrain editor. 

You will never ever get a standalone CF app that looks as simple and sleek as the one you thought you saw in that video, sorry. Would be nice, though. But that's not on.

I do not subscribe to the notion that Unity/CF is only for some and not for others. It does require a bit of self-education, stamina and, dare I say it?, WORK. It's not all fun and games, nor is it intuitive, but where there is a will, there is a way. Also, it absolutely does get a lot easier very quickly once you pushed through the first few WTF-challenges. It's a rite of passage, yes. Do you have what it takes?

• axe360, RobC, Justin9926 and 1 other like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#16 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

If you want to make a fresh course on flat terrain in Unity - well don't ask me!

You can do this (sort of) by using the supplied terrain and selecting the "Paint Terrain" option on the terrain menu...the second button with the "Height" option. This is where you can paint terrain to be a certain height. You can put in a value in the height box and hit "Flatten"....and then you can remove all the trees. Obviously don't use "Flatten" if you've done any sculpting.

With regards to Unity/CF....I never managed to complete a course in any other design software (looking at you, APCD), let alone one I would release for other people to play. To be honest, I went very little off script and there are many many other things to play with (I've just started playing with Blender, watching DPR's fantastic tutorials....haven't even touched the layers library yet, or EasyRoads).

• Crow357 and jt83 like this

#17 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

My only gripe is the Layers Library. Man, need an tut for dummies. I have messed around and messed around and next thing you know, I lose all libraries.  I tried cloning, making new, I just don't get it.  Doesn't seem like you should be able to Lose all libraries cause you do something wrong.

And not to be rude, I really don't care what anyone else has to say about the Layers Library. I'm just telling you, it isn't as simple as some might say. At least not for me.

So the course I have now, will have the same old stock libs. Tough. Probably will be my last anyway..

Peace

Oh as far as Unity/CF goes, Awesome programs. Love it, beats the hell out of the old TW's Course Architect. Gr8 job on that!!

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#18 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

Larry, you probably saved your new library .cfl file somewhere where you shouldn't have, and probably you were tricked to do that without noticing. Unity is pretty anal about save locations (That actually would be a legitimate lunacy complaint, Unity truly is unbelievably and needlessly obtuse in this respect and should be slapped hard in the face for the next six months only because of this - and CF, as a result, is forced to follow suit to their poor example).

Since I usually drag and drop CF into a new project, this creates a conflict between the old project location where CF thinks it should save the .cfl file and the new project location where it does save it into. So it dumps the save into one location (new project folder) then goes looking for it in another one (Perfect Parallel depository outside the project folder) - and comes up empty. By now I pretty much have to load my library .cfl manually at the start of each session and even click on the Cancel button when CF sends me an error message, just to recover it. 

But NO WAY your work is lost. Data don't just vanish into thin air, unless you do not click the confirm button on a delete command. Use the search function on your PC to locate the wanted .cfl file and reconstruct the file path in the load window that pops up. Same as you would do with any other file on your PC that you need to conjure up from underneath a pile of folders and subfolders.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#19 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

Thank you Chris, much appreciated. The good thing is, it was only on a Practice Course that I did this.

I think I will try baby steps.

So don't anyone take me for my earlier comments that this course textures will just have to stay stock. Lol

I have something in me, that doesn't want to settle for just 2nd best. ;)

Peace

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users