Photo

Can someone do a Speedtree Editor tutorial?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

Just found out from Mike that Speedtree assets cannot be traded (wow :blink: ). Guess my next option would be to subscribe to the Speedtree editor. Sure would like to see a tutorial on it to see whether I'm really interested in taking it on (and paying $19 a month to create trees for a course I'm going to give away).

#2 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

https://youtu.be/sbmQhdQ_2VI

Good Luck

#3 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

I never want to hold anyone back from trying but I would strongly recommend that Speedtree be any course designer's last hurdle to clear.

It is not horrendous once you understand the programming. But, it is a sizable learning curve or steep incline depending on your brain.
  • RobC likes this

#4 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

Thanks Rob! And thanks DP for the warning. Not sure how many options are left, other than just using the rather limited number of objects available now with the game (and the free ones available from Speedtree), or ponying up a considerable amount of money to buy them from Speedtree (and then getting 1 to 3 objects in the package that are appropriate for your course).

Well, back to individually setting trees into the ground so they kinda look like bushes. :angry:

#5 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:41 AM

I don't focus too much on trees when playing courses...depending on the type, they can look kinda samey.  Funny thing about the Links 2D trees, from a distance they still look pretty good.

#6 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:56 AM

Thanks JT. I wish I wasn't a perfectionist. I would get much more done...but not as well.

#7 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:59 AM

So far CourseForge has been a cure for my perfectionism !  Liberties have to be taken imo.

#8 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

It is a steep learning curve.... I have managed to figure out the randomizer button and a couple other features. I've learned just enough to be able to make one or two variations just using that and playing around with some of the size and leaf density settings.

But I have no clue how to make a tree from scratch; that looks like rocket scientist stuff.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#9 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

Seems like we need a website not connected to PP for this stuff.

#10 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

It is a steep learning curve.... I have managed to figure out the randomizer button and a couple other features. I've learned just enough to be able to make one or two variations just using that and playing around with some of the size and leaf density settings.

But I have no clue how to make a tree from scratch; that looks like rocket scientist stuff.

Any help in figuring the randomiser out.   I haven't come across that.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#11 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

It's in the Properties window; the button with the dice on it. I just click it over and over again until I like what I see, and save it as a new tree, usually sequentially (i.e. Broadlead_desktop2.spm, Broadlead_desktop3.spm, etc..).

I also go into Tree Properties and make sure the Level of Detail is set to 3 first. I had it on 1 when I first started and for whatever reason the game treats that as "cull" so they don't appear.

#12 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

Don't forget to adjust colliders after you randomize, or you'll have balls bouncing on thin air.

• RobC likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#13 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

I wonder how we're supposed to populate our course with miscellaneous items (ball washers, benches, etc.)? And what if you need a hedge or a bush that is unlike anything available in the game? (Short of buying assets)

#14 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

Well, you either make it yourself or ask someone else to, I suppose.  It's what everyone else does.

#15 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

Well, you either make it yourself or ask someone else to, I suppose.  It's what everyone else does.

But the common consensus seems to be that creating objects from scratch is very difficult. As for having someone else do it, who? I've seen no such access (and Mike insists Speedtree assets cannot be legally shared). As for what everyone else does, that's what I'm really interested in.

Not trying to give you a hard time Crow. Just getting a little frustrated. :wacko:

#16 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

There's a couple of free object packages users have made.... offhand I can't remember who made them. One had ballwashers and benches in it. DP made some tee markers. I've also made some simple tee markers using a program called AC3D and all my courses to date have featured them.

I get a lot of things from the 3D sketchup warehouse which are free and are adequate for my needs.... it is good for man-made things like bridges, road signs, etc... just keep an eye on polygon counts.

I took an evening to learn how to use the House Builder and it was very worth doing... also learned that you can make walls and other things with it. When you can start customizing the colors and surfaces of these things is when they become really powerful.

• worrybirdie and mistajam like this

#17 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

I needed structures and objects when I was designing for TW08 so learnt enough of 3dsmax for my needs

I also needed textures etc for TW designing so learnt enough of Photoshop for what I wanted

It took me about a week of constant evenings to learn enough of speedtree for my needs

Basically everything can be learnt with google and youtube and time

Cheers RobC

#18 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

But the common consensus seems to be that creating objects from scratch is very difficult. As for having someone else do it, who? I've seen no such access (and Mike insists Speedtree assets cannot be legally shared). As for what everyone else does, that's what I'm really interested in.

Not trying to give you a hard time Crow. Just getting a little frustrated. :wacko:

Well, it is.  You have to learn a 3d program to make stuff from scratch.  If I needed a ball washer, I'd just make a post, "Hey, anyone got a good ballwasher I can use?"  Someone would offer.  Speedtrees CAN be shared as long as YOU MAKE EVERYTHING from scratch.  There might be one or two guys good enough to do that.  Ask around, we're a community helping each other.

#19 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

#20 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:06 AM

Thanks Crow. I've been aware of the high caliber of the character of many of the  users of this forum for some time. All the help I've gotten since starting to climb "Mount Unity" has further reinforced that opinion. My course is still in its early stages, but will eventually need ball washers, waste baskets, benches, etc. if anyone out there has them to offer. I'd try to take on a 3D editor, but my legs are already tired from climbing Unity's learning curve, and I still can't see the top (well maybe...is that it?...nope...false summit). Someday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users