Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Sky is not the limit - the end of television.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

I just read this: Sky will not broadcast the 2017 PGA Championship:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/13/rory-mcilroy-scottish-open-golf-poulter-fowler

With television, tv channels and programming schedules being more and more replaced by the internet and VOD - and with content douchebags clamouring for more modern distribution formats and multi-platform access - one trusty and beloved staple of our life-long golf worship, following a major on the telly, is on the brink of extinction. At least as long as we refuse to fork out yet more cash for yet another subscription to yet another grubby little video pimp.

Which I shan't.

Thoughts?

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

As they go for a money grab for PPV streaming, it just means fewer people will get to see their product.  I guess the advertiser sponsored model is dead or dying.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

It's been dead for a while in the UK,  we used to have many sports on TV...all the golf majors are now on subscription, boxing is non existent, its all PPV and box office, formula one is gone...the lions tour to new zealand i managed to watch online thru live streams, not the best though, and premier league football on PPV and subscription started the grubby ball rolling.  We hardly get any highlights now either...I'm a huge sports fan, but they can keep it for all i care.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#4 Harald

Harald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNuremberg, Germany

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

I also use Sky Sports in Germany and we can see all Tournaments live in TV:

Faszination Golfsport – exklusiv live auf Sky

Der kleine weiße Ball kann einen zur Weißglut treiben. Wenn er partout nicht dorthin fliegt oder rollt, wo er hinfliegen oder -rollen soll. Aber genau das macht auch die Faszination beim Golf aus. Egal, ob man selbst auf dem Platz steht oder den Profis zuschaut. Bei Martin Kaymer, Jordan Spieth, Jason Day, Rory McIlroy und Co sieht das Spiel manchmal so leicht aus. Aber selbst die Top-Stars sind vor Schlägen in den Bunker oder ins Wasser nicht gefeit. Mit Sky können Sie Kaymer und Co exklusiv live bei den Turnieren der European Tour und der US PGA Tour sowie den Majors und alle zwei Jahre beim Ryder Cup verfolgen. Außerdem zeigt Deutschlands Golf-Sender Nummer eins die Highlights der European Challenge Tour und der US Champions Tour. Der Turnierplan für die kommenden Wochen:

Der Turnierplan der kommenden Wochen:  13.07. –  16.07. Aberdeen Asset Management Scottish Open  13.07. –  16.07. John Deere Classic 20.07. – 23.07. 146th Open Championship 27.07. – 30.07. Porsche European Open 27.07. – 30.07. RBC Canadian Open 03.08. – 06.08. WGC – Bridgestone Invitational 10.08. – 13.08. PGA Championship 17.08. – 20.08. Saltire Energy Paul Lawrie Match Play 17.08. – 20.08. Wyndham Championship 24.08. – 27.08. Made In Denmark 24.08. – 27.08. THE NORTHERN TRUST

I7-6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream 8GB,16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200, Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W ATX 2.4, SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Eizo Color Graphic CS270 - 27", Win 10 Pro (64bit)

#5 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

The traditional ways of watching and advertisers reaching consumers are changing dramatically, thus highlighting the need for content sources to have some flexibility in how they position their product, and importantly, a modicum of control.

Jeff Price seemed pretty clear that they want to be everywhere, including TV, but are still working on it and can't share the details of it yet.

“Broad distribution, multi-platform distribution is the key objective for us,” he said. “I’m not in a position yet to share all the details but we want the ability to engage golf fans of all ages across all platforms."

In this century, TV is set to simply be one of many platforms and is quickly moving away from being the dominant one.

As the world turns basically...things are a changin'..

#6 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

I stopped watching all sports 15 plus years ago.  The athletes are arrogant, overpaid fools these days.  It is now about the money and mass marketing.  Long ago it was about the game.  I have not missed it one bit.  So much more time for more interesting things I have now.  Others might enjoy the same.  :)

#7 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

And the BBC shows "SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR' work that out.

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#8 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

I just read this: Sky will not broadcast the 2017 PGA Championship:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/13/rory-mcilroy-scottish-open-golf-poulter-fowler

With television, tv channels and programming schedules being more and more replaced by the internet and VOD - and with content douchebags clamouring for more modern distribution formats and multi-platform access - one trusty and beloved staple of our life-long golf worship, following a major on the telly, is on the brink of extinction. At least as long as we refuse to fork out yet more cash for yet another subscription to yet another grubby little video pimp.

Which I shan't.

Thoughts?

What's the difference between paying Sky to watch the golf or paying someone else?

• RobC likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

What's the difference between paying Sky to watch the golf or paying someone else?

Well said..

..and perhaps even paying more directly to the content source

(which is one of the main points that content owners are angling towards...bigger/better cut of action)

#10 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

None, I would say. Only like subscribing to BT Sports to watch the Moto GP.

Wonder if any of the US TV broadcasters like NBC, CBS, FOX Sports etc. will be showing the USPGA on TV?

#11 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:18 AM

I guess I didn't realize Sky is pay per view.

#12 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

TNT-CBS airs the 2017 USPGA (Aug 10-13) and I don't think that will change in the coming years (unless NBC or FOX negotiate a better deal to show it).  That is, if you call it covering the golf tournament....

http://www.cbssports.../golf/schedules

#13 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:37 AM

Why watch any sport live these days?  I go straight to YouTube after a major sports event and watch the best shots, hits, hoops, goals etc.

Couldn't sit through a live event anyway, too boring.

• GoldenBear likes this

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#14 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:45 AM

Why watch any sport live these days?  I go straight to YouTube after a major sports event and watch the best shots, hits, hoops, goals etc.

Couldn't sit through a live event anyway, too boring.

I'm an NFL freak.  Nothing better for me than plopping myself down on a Sunday afternoon and watching some Footbow.

#15 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

I guess I didn't realize Sky is pay per view.

It's more a subscription channel. Pay your monthly fee and watch as much or as little as you prefer. Like you do with phones, pay monthly sub and use as little or as often as you see fit.

So yes, you are paying to view, but not for individual Golf events.

#16 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

From what I hear, Sky's offering itself is changing as well in time. Instead of the 8 or so channels it has, the idea is that each sport will have a dedicated channel (they have moved some way down this path already with for example the English Premier League on Sky Sports 1 and Golf on Sky Sports 4). What will be different is instead of the mid-sized and full-sized packages they currently offer, they are then instead looking at simply offering a channel. This would allow those with interest in only one sport to focus on that, most likely at a lower channel price, and not pay for sports programming they have no interest in. The model will most likely be like the way they sell NowTV, but instead of day rates, it will have channel rates.

https://www.theguard...ll-golf-cricket

#17 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

M,

Yes, that all comes in next Tuesday. The main sports will all have their own dedicated channels, there'll still be Sports News and Sports Mix which come with the normal Sky bundle. You'll now be able to just sub to say Golf and Football, instead of having to have the full blown Sky Sports package, but you will only get to watch what you subscribe for, but for some folks it will mean a potential saving.

Unfortunately the changes will make no difference to the decision taken by the USPGA about how they are making the USPGA available for viewing.

#18 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

I'm an NFL freak.  Nothing better for me than plopping myself down on a Sunday afternoon and watching some Footbow.

I think we all enjoyed that routine long ago. Times have changed our attention spans, watching highlights or sections of a particular sport at Youtube is enough for me, but I can relate to what you're saying.

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#19 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

Unfortunately sky have blown their budget on the very overrated English premier league and all their other sport coverage is suffering. The us open tennis went to Eurosport last year and now this. Time to ring up sky and threaten to cancel I think.....

#20 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

Unfortunately sky have blown their budget on the very overrated English premier league and all their other sport coverage is suffering. The us open tennis went to Eurosport last year and now this. Time to ring up sky and threaten to cancel I think.....

Yes, they (Sky) have overpaid to get the EPL coverage, but it is their biggest money spinner and yes some other sporting events have suffered and been dropped from Sky's roster.

They haven't lost the USPGA because they weren't prepared to pay for it, they have lost it because the current deal expired and the USPGA have decided not to offer Sky the opportunity to extend it as they want to move to different media platforms for folks to watch other than subscription TV.

* so you don't really want to cancel, just threaten to and try and get some money of your subscription, lol. Well, the Sky Sports subscription is changing from 18th July, so that might save you a few quid if you re-jig the channels you sub to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users