Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Sky is not the limit - the end of television.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

I guess the question now is how will the changes to Sky affect Perfect Parallel?

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#22 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

Why watch any sport live these days?  I go straight to YouTube after a major sports event and watch the best shots, hits, hoops, goals etc.

Couldn't sit through a live event anyway, too boring.

Oh no no no, has to be live for me, I love to watch as it happens broadcast action, I can get absorbed into certain tournaments more than others but live feed is the best option.

#23 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

I guess the question now is how will the changes to Sky affect Perfect Parallel?

Can't see it affecting this deal personally, as Sky still have a current contract to show the PGA Tour events live until 2022.

The deal comprises of:-

PGA Tour: 32 events live, including the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, The Players Championship from Sawgrass and the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard from Bay Hill.

Fedex Cup play-offs: All four season-ending events, The Barclays and Deutsche Bank Championship in August and the BMW Championship, and Tour Championship by Coca-Cola in September.

The Presidents Cup: The next four biennial matches between the USA and an international team representing the rest of the world minus Europe in 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2021.

I guess deals for the Masters, US Open and PGA Championship are all separate to the ongoing PGA Tour contract.

Masters is currently part of a multi-year deal (not sure when this is up for renewal)

US Open until 2019

PGA Championship - no TV deal from 2017

European Tour contract is currently set to run through 2018, so I guess they will be looking to do an extension of that in the coming months.

Open Championship deal runs through 2021.

• Acrilix likes this

#24 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

Sky haven't had their masters contract yet apparently. I have heard that money (or lack of) was part of the reason that the PGA contract wasn't renewed. I just hope that BT sport don't get a sniff of anything. I can't morally justify paying any money to Michael Owen (brits will get that joke lol) - sorry daz

#25 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

Sky haven't had their masters contract yet apparently. I have heard that money (or lack of) was part of the reason that the PGA contract wasn't renewed. I just hope that BT sport don't get a sniff of anything. I can't morally justify paying any money to Michael Owen (brits will get that joke lol) - sorry daz

He burned his bridges when he signed for Manure, so no apologies needed, lol. Also as a pundit he's as bad as they come.

Back to the USPGA deal, what I'd read was....

TV deal has not been renewed because a completely different media model is being pursued.

“We had a good partnership with Sky but the 2017 USPGA Championship will not be on Sky,” said the PGA of America’s chief commercial officer, Jeff Price.

“It was a multi-year deal that was up. Ultimately one of the key things for us is scale of distribution and obviously with all the new platforms that consumers are engaging with, we want to make sure we reach all of them.”

So appears it wasn't a money issue, but a change of media model.

#26 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

Interesting development in USPGA Championship coverage.

Despite USPGA stating they were looking at 'other media models' it appears the BBC TV have secured live rights to this years event at Quail Hollow. Sounds like covergare will be on BBC2 Red Button and then moving to main BBC2 for main live coverage.

From what I've been reading (Daily Mail Sport) Sky were not prepared to pay the high price USPGA and IMG wanted. BBC have stepped in and secured live coverage but at a fraction of what Sky were being asked to pay. I'm sure BBC will not have anywhere near the live coverage hours Sky would have done, but you have to wonder if Sky do get held to ransom sometimes. Why can they let BBC have it so cheaply?

Still, it's good for all golf fans, as the coverage is now on terrestrial TV so will allow a large golf audience to watch the action should they so wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users