#1 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

This may seem like a really basic question considering my experience, but I'm starting to rack up a rather sizeable chunk of data with all of my course files and I'm wonder if I have a lot of redundant files that are taking up a huge amount of my disk space.

Do you have different Unity scenes for every course? I do and I assume this is what everyone else does, but I'm beginning to tire of the laborious process of having to copy 2+ GB of files every time I start a new course, having to scramble through my notes for the correct lighting settings, etc, etc...

I noticed when looking at old course files (stored on an external drive) that I have multiple copies of every library that I've made in every course folder and many of my other asset files are repeated throughout.

Anyone have any suggestions that might help streamline this process? I was thinking of just creating a blank canvas with certain settings established and basic assets and using that every time.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#2 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

Yes Matt i see the same thing, it was diffuclt to do but i have decided to delete older course projects, i had so many on my drive that it started slowing my computer down.  I started to back them up to a flash drive but the first one was going to take a few hours to transfer! i cancelled it and deleted the whole project instead, so i now have courses out there that i can never go back to, this initially felt wrong, but hell its only a game, courses come and go and players move on to the next release so quickly, i'm no longer worried about deleting projects.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#3 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:24 AM

I've started putting incomplete ones on the external drive just because I need the space. There's some half-finished APCD conversions and other things that I don't see myself working on anytime soon. But I can't delete anything.... I suppose I'm the online equivalent of a hoarder.

Perhaps it is good discipline to limit myself to 3-4 course projects at a time anyway.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#4 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

I suppose when you have finished a project you could save the scene and terrain then move just these 2 to a holding folder.... start a new scene and make a new terrain and carry on with all the folders in place

#5 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Whilst Ive never tried it you could assume that all courses could be held in a single project,with each individual course having its own scene and terrain? 

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#6 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

Thats a great idea, never thought about just saving the scene and terrain, then you can just use the one library, is that right?

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#7 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

What you can do is create a new folder in your project view for each course. Move your scene, terrain and any other course specific assets (overlay image, raw file, etc.) into that folder. You can have a folder for each course. Just make sure your scene, terrain, overlay image.etc. are in that folder. To backup your course, create a Unity package of your scene, terrain and other related items. Before saving the package, remove the check mark from "Include Dependencies". Other wise it will include all of the other assets in your project.

You may decide to have several main projects (i.e. Ocean courses, Desert courses, etc.), that may have specific assets for those environments. That way you can group your courses with like assets in the main Unity projects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users