26 replies to this topic

#1 TribunXIII

TribunXIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hi everyone,

inspired by "Greybeard's Virtual Career", I have decided to create my own Career Sheets, that can simulate the Golf World, and you can be a Part of it. Like other Excel Career Sheets you only have to write your Score down and can simulate the Tournaments week after week. (Btw. I hope my english is understandeble)

In the following Download you can download a beta Version that only have the PGA Tour at the moment. You can Simulate a complete FedExCup Season including all Majors WGC's an the full working FedExCup Playoffs.

Instructions:

Home Menu:

- Creat your Player with changing the Player Name and maybe the nation (three literals like for Canada=CAN)

- click "Next Week" to go forward, now you will see the schedule of the next week

- choose the Tournament you want to play. You can take "MAJ" for a possible Major/WGC/Players Tournament, "PGA" for the PGA Tour Event, or nothing if you like to rest this week (I'm planing to create more Tours).

- click on "Play" to Play the Tournaments, please play any, even them you're not playing, to evaluate the season.

Tournament:

- click on "Round 1" to go to the 1st Round, now you can write your score down and then click on "Round 1" (but at the Round 1 sheet) now the Round is going to be simulated and you jump automaticaly back to the Tournament sheet.

- when you finished all 4 Rounds, click on "Final" and you jump to the FedExCup Standing.

If you like, you can Change the courses of the Tournaments in the schedule sheet and creat new courses in the CourseDB sheet.

https://mega.nz/#!bR...LRWr8VFF-pK_aXk

TO DO:

- Other Tours like European Tour, WEB.com Tour and the Challenge Tour (inicluding Promotion/Demotion)

- World Golf Ranking

- original qualification for the Majors

• Unique likes this

#2 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

nice. individual tracking... If you would like to have this all done for you, or would like to see how you stack up against others you could join OGT new season starts in just over a month.

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#3 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:33 AM

I finally got around to looking at this today ....  

It didn't work for me right away, as the macros insert formulas to the cells and the functions using German words didn't automatically work or translate to my English version of Excel.  So, I had to translate a few functions in VBA and change punctuation and then the sheet seemed to work OK.  The changes I had to make were the following:

• ZUFALLSBEREICH (German) to RANDBETWEEN (English)
  • WENN (German) to IF (English)
  • ISTFEHLER (German) to ISERROR (English)
  • SVERWEIS (German) to VLOOKUP (English)
  • SUMME (German) to SUM (English)
  • ; (German) to , (English)

If others have a similar issue, you could try the English version of the spreadsheet that I have created (TribunXIII, I hope it's OK that I did this with your spreadsheet program!) and made available for download at this link:

https://app.box.com/...lr95tf4wo6pta0g

When I clicked on "Final" (after finishing a tournament), the FedEx standings were completely blank - no players, no points, just the blank form.  I didn't look through the code to determine exactly how the FedEx points were determined and written to the sheet (and perhaps I messed up something in my trials to get the translations done!).

Is there a way to clear the data and start over?  Or just to start with a new spreadsheet?

Overall, well done, TribunXIII.   :)

#4 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

I'd like to try this but i'm not familiar with excell, a step by step guide would be appreciated, i looked at it but have no idea how to get the ball rolling.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#5 TribunXIII

TribunXIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

Hi everyone,

thanks for the Feedback. I thought Excel would translate always the forumala in english, but now I know better. Sry for that, I will fix it when i find the time. And i will have a look at your problem with the final.

A little update, I have alrady made the European Tour and the OWGR but i'm Not real happy with the Ranking at the moment.

When I have fixed the actual Problems with the language I will be post a new Version with a step by step guide included.
  • Unique and Acrilix like this

#6 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

Wondered if there was any progress on this VGA Tour excel spreadsheet and whether any other tours had been created as mentioned.

Here's hoping.

#7 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

Hi guys,

I'm also working on a career mode spreadsheet (Greybeard style), with a bit of a "twist".

The "twist" is that your career is played out against 60 years worth of historical scores, rosters, and rules from the four Majors ( Masters, US Open, the Open, and PGA Champ.) from 1960 thru the present.  Play any one tournament from any year, four tournaments from the same calendar year, or start a historical career beginning at any year and in any order. I'm still working out what gets stored and archived.  Play against exact historical scores and finishes, or use my "randomizer" slider to add more and more randomness to the scores and finish order.

I'm borrowing ideas from three spreadsheet sources - Greybeard's virtual career (GBVC), TribunXIII (VGT.01-beta), and PG-solo-tournaments_v10 (don't remember author).  Ultimately, the final package will be my own work.  If I see a piece of Macro code that's just too good to pass-up, I'll find the author and ask permission to use.

So far, I've cataloged scores and rosters for the Open (1960 to 2017), PGA Champ. (1960 to 2017), US Open (1970 to 2017), and the Masters (1960 to 1979, and 2000 to 2017).  I've got the data for the Masters (1980 to 1999).  I can't find the full US Open data from 1960 to 1969 (if anyone can help with this missing set, a big TY).  All of my progress can be looked at at the Recorded Rounds site on MEGA.  Once there, go to the folder:  z _Golf Library / 60 years of the Grand Slam / Majors.

I wanted to have this ready by the Masters, but there is still much work to do.  I'd also be up for sharing data and ideas, or even teaming -up.

edit:

LOGIN

Enter this email...

jnpgrecordings@gmail.com

and this password...

driveforshow

PLEASE LOGOUT

John

• Ted_Ball likes this

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:27 PM

Play against exact historical scores and finishes, or use my "randomizer" slider to add more and more randomness to the scores and finish order.

Is your randomizer slider going to use "perfect", "realistic" or "bumpy"?
:D (sorry - couldn't resist)

On a more serious note..
Where is the link to the site/folder on Mega?

Is it in a signature? Sorry if so as I have those turned off
  • jmk59 likes this

#9 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

Creamy

You deleted your response, Buck - now mine doesn't make any sense

I'll add the MEGA login info.

#10 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:11 PM

Ted - have you been rummaging through some of the folders at the MEGA site? (it's your site, why wouldn't you?).

If I had access to an API, I could really make this realistic with exact pins, tees, and weather.  Let me know if you get that feeling in your bones ( impending information via the "hot line").

#11 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

No John, I haven't been rummaging but I was thinking about it this morning - to play against some recordings.

#12 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:39 AM

John about a month and a half ago I went in and got a few recorded rounds to practice against and hope I was still allowed and have not gone where I was not supposed to be and if I did I apologize.  Couldn't resist some hardcore practice.

#13 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:53 AM

An idea I had, for this 60 Years of the Grand Slam, was to try and incorporate into the final round a Recorded round.  This would only work if you were playing in Historical mode, against actual known scores.  It might play out something like this:

1960 US Open at Cherry Hills.  This was back when rounds 1 and 2 were played on Thursday and Friday (as is today), but 36 holes were played on Saturday (morning rounds, then afternoon rounds).  Getting the format and cut rules of the day are important details to the realism and enjoyment of such an DLC.  Anyway...it was a low scoring affair with Mike Souchak (-5) ahead after 54 hole;  Arnold Palmer was sitting at +2.  What followed was Arnold's 65 in round four to win the Open by two.  I haven't done justice the the whole story, so here is the link.  http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/fortunate-eyewitnesses-1960-us-open-cherry-hills-recall-best-damn-open-ever.

So if I could go in and play a Recorded round (at Amateur level, with the Caliber ball) and re-produce Arnie's scorecard (I have it), you would have something worth playing against.  I would have to drive the green at #1, and chip in on #2 to make it real.  Getting all these details correct for 18 holes would be near impossible - unless I had access to an API that allowed me to save progress after each hole.  To my way of thinking, this would need to be a Developers tool (so I couldn't cheat in tournaments).

I've got a lot of ideas - I need to start focusing in on what I  would enjoy playing.

• Ted_Ball and Goran JoeMen like this

#14 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:59 AM

Greens - right in the main folder at MEGA I put a file labeled "Any thing I put here is for PP community use".  So any of the folders and files that are uploaded here are meant to be looked at, downloaded, and enjoyed by our golf community.  Go have fun.

John

• Greensboronclion likes this

#15 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

I really don't have a clue about this spreadsheet. Do I have to input the courses that I play or does the spreadsheet set up the schedule itself? I really don't have a handle on this game and all that it can do yet, anyway. When it first came out I did not have a computer powerful enough to run it so a couple of years passed by before I finally got one that would run the game. By that time it was old and some people were already disenchanted with it. Hence, I really don't know if this spreadsheet will help me. I still play on my own. I haven't played against anyone online ever. I suck at this game but I still play it.

#16 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

My spreadsheet is still a work-in-progress (the one based on 60 Years of the Grand Slam).  When finished, it will be a stand alone bookkeeping and score retrieval type tool.  The only thing tying it to Perfect Golf is the Course Database.  I could also create a Course Database to tie it to Link2003, or any other golf game.

The idea is to populate the main module with as much historical data (dates, course ID, actual player field, cut rules, playoff rules, etc) as possible so all the user does is pick a year, select which of the 4 Majors to play, then suggest tees, pins, weather, and other playing conditions.  You use these suggestions to set-up a solo game, play the game, then come back and enter your final score, round by round.  The spreadsheet archives your results, and keeps track over multiple tournaments.

When I get home, I'll PM you with more info.

John

#17 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

Thanks! I apologize for my ignorance. I'm not making excuses, just passing information. I am 67 years old (not really old) but understanding things comes harder for me these days than when I was a lot younger. As I understand it, I am the one that enters the information on the original spreadsheet, then I play that course, and then come back and enter the score.

#18 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

Yes - that's exactly how it will work, when finished.  The level of detail is what I want to make this fun to use.  Real rosters, scores, and courses from the 4 Majors, going back to 1960.  Not just random scores (although this will also be possible).

So far, I've got the databases for the Masters and the Open 100% done, PGA Champ. is ~95% done, and the US Open is ~85% done (I'm still missing data from 1969 to 1960).  The Course database is 100% done, then I need to write the Main module.

#19 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

Tribun,

This sounds amazing. I am looking forward to using your spreadsheet and enjoying the chance to take on the best players of yester-year.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work. Very much appreciated.

Regards

Ollybobbles

#20 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

Yes - that's exactly how it will work, when finished.  The level of detail is what I want to make this fun to use.  Real rosters, scores, and courses from the 4 Majors, going back to 1960.  Not just random scores (although this will also be possible).

So far, I've got the databases for the Masters and the Open 100% done, PGA Champ. is ~95% done, and the US Open is ~85% done (I'm still missing data from 1969 to 1960).  The Course database is 100% done, then I need to write the Main module.

Sounds great.

Do yot think you might do that with the actual PGA Tour as well (rosters, schedule)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users