jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

Frank70,

I started to make last years PGA tour.  The database for that spreadsheet is also up on the Recorded rounds site (above), under Reference materials.  I stopped when I saw TribunXIII was doing the same thing, and went in a different direction (with the Majors only).

Also...if TribunXII would like to collaborate, we could combine resources (his macro skills and my database constructs).

#22 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

Sounds great.

Do yot think you might do that with the actual PGA Tour as well (rosters, schedule)?

I haven't found all of the courses on the actual PGA tour. If so, I would go back and start the season all over and play them.

#23 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

I haven't found all of the courses on the actual PGA tour. If so, I would go back and start the season all over and play them.

That's always going to be the limitation with a "true" career mode - not all courses will be available when you start your season.  Right now, for the Majors spreadsheet career, there are only 14 out of the 60 years that have courses for all 4 Majors (but an additional 23 years with 3 of 4).  So it's always going to be a work-in-progress.

#24 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

That's always going to be the limitation with a "true" career mode - not all courses will be available when you start your season.  Right now, for the Majors spreadsheet career, there are only 14 out of the 60 years that have courses for all 4 Majors (but an additional 23 years with 3 of 4).  So it's always going to be a work-in-progress.

That's all good, I guess. I can always substitute a course. I believe though when I didn't have a computer powerful enough to run this game that I played a tournament setting with Tiger Woods 08 (can't get it to run on this computer) that they had all of the courses. 

#25 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:45 AM

Yes, bgast1 - substitute courses work better in a PGA Season setting.  But for the Majors, only the real thing (exact course) is going to do it for me.

I went back through this thread and edited my plea for 1960's US Open data.  I found the Holy Grail of scores archive for golf's Majors.  It's a 1400 page pdf entitled "The Majors of Golf - Complete Results of The Open, the US Open, the PGA Championship, and the Masters, 1860 - 2008", by Morgan G. Brenner.  I'll put a link to this reference in one of my database files (MEGA site).  The first 25 pages is a good read on the research that went into it's production.

Edit:  The actual PDF in up in the Refence Material folder.  Help yourselves.  John

• Ted_Ball likes this

#26 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:35 AM

jmk59,   am i correct in thinking that you will be creating a tour system for us to use at some point, and will there be clear instructions on how to use it?  sorry i'm not clued up with spread sheets, massive thanks if you are and i look forward to it, i would love a reason to play more between tour rounds.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#27 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

DoGgs,

It's a stand alone spreadsheet APP (for lack of a better description) for SOLO play.  I envision something way less complicated than Greybeard's Virtual Career, but with all the same detail.  Playing against random scores can be fun for awhile, but playing against Historical scores, and knowing the stories that go with them, is much more immersive.  I should make this clear up-front - I'm making this primarily for my enjoyment (I've been kicking this idea around since I was 13).  If it turns out like I want, I'll freely share with others.

Whats missing is more of the British course (RLSA, Turnberry, RLiverpool).  Any ideas?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users