Photo

Cleaning unused assets from project in Unity?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

Hi :), as the title says,

as I tried out a lot of things in my first course (assets, textures, speedtrees and so on), I wonder if there is a easy way to search (search function) for objects/assets etc ... that are not in use on the actual project, so I could delete them and clean the whole thing up.

Couldn't find anything about it via the forum search, maybe someone does know more.

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

That would be swell, wouldn't it? I'm afraid there is no way, I looked for it, too. You would have to do this manually, one by one.

Be aware though, that when CF builds the game files, it only imports the assets actually used inside the project scene, meaning that all your unused assets will not appear inside the course file or affect its size. If that is the reason you want to get rid of them, that is not a problem.

Still, things indeed do tend to clutter up, I dislike dead weight and failed experiments, so I always try to keep my assets neat. That's why I usually delete all my excess files immediately, as soon as I have decided that I'm not going to use them. 

• mistajam likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

Good tips from k11

I create folders in Assets that are used for course and put each asset into its own folder , then do the same in Heirachy

In heirachy  i  create and put put all Rocks,Bridges etc into their own folders so i know whats being used and then  i know where they are and makes it neat and tidy, then under Assets and Hierachy i delete whats not  being used like k11 says.

• mistajam likes this

#4 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hey Kablammo :) thanks for your answer,

and yes indeed that would be smashing lol ... and logic too.

But anyway good to know that CF  only imports the assets actually used inside the project scene when I render out.

And Yes Kablammo this would be my strategy too, to keep things cleaned up because it suits my workflow, but i fear for this first course i will have to do it by hand because I've played around a lot with textures, assets and stuff ;) ...

A possible future creation of mine will be handled according to your wise suggestion.

Thank you for the answer and Happy Days :)

edit:

Hey pingzing,

thanks for your suggestions too, that's the way I will do it in the future. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users