• PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

when you folks design a course who sets the drop spot on the 

CTPs rounds is that something that is worked into the design

or does the game pick the drop spots ?

drop spots = ball placement

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#2 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:05 AM

ctp = closest to the pin.. ball is on a tee unless it is a challenge tee.  Are you talking about haz drops?

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#3 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:16 AM

If CTP rounds use challenge tee spots, these are placed on the course by the designer and can be placed anywhere.... rough, sand, on a cart path etc. They were originally placed by the course designer for the challenge option in JNPG.

Maybe they are now being used for other things.  :unsure:

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#4 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:19 AM

skills challenge points

puts you within reachable distance of the green and is CTP .

i noticed while trying to test some a lot of courses you cant because

i dont believe they where set up starting spots for this challenge, the PP courses have them

and can be played. only checked a few of the designer courses bethpage black has them why do some and not all

and this MOP can not be set?

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#5 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:22 AM

you beat my post acrililx but you answered my question

i guess the designers are missing putting the start spots in

thanks

Klipsch Sound System

#6 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:25 AM

these tourneys are played at PGLS weekly

and i was trying to get to the bottom of why this weeks tourney

some the greens are not reachable even with a 20mph push

and located where there is just no way to even make the green.

Klipsch Sound System

#7 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

an open offer to the designers the testers at OGT more then likely have enough

to do if any of you guys who are setting these courses with the skills challenge drop spots need their's

tested just give me a yell i will be more then happy to test them out.

my finding are being posted here at PGLS as im testing courses over there along with MOPs.

http://pgls.golfladd...php?f=61&t=1747

Klipsch Sound System

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

you beat my post acrililx but you answered my question

i guess the designers are missing putting the start spots in

thanks

Not missing, it is totally the designers choice whether their course has challenge tees or not. They are optional, not mandatory.

#9 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

Not missing, it is totally the designers choice whether their course has challenge tees or not. They are optional, not mandatory.

i do understand that , just wish more would put them in. the MOP is a good one for tourney sites.

out of the 232 courses in the PGLS data base there are 52 have the challenge tee's set

seems like plenty to keep players busy

Klipsch Sound System

#10 dewman2854

dewman2854

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

that is a good question I was wondering that myself

#11 QBL_MrCobra

QBL_MrCobra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

i do understand that , just wish more would put them in. the MOP is a good one for tourney sites.
out of the 232 courses in the PGLS data base there are 52 have the challenge tee's set
seems like plenty to keep players busy

Hi Dave,

I just put them on my last course that will be out shorthly. If you want O could add the, on my other courses?

MrCobra

#12 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

Hi Dave,

I just put them on my last course that will be out shorthly. If you want O could add the, on my other courses?

MrCobra

sure will,do them as soon as it is out so it can be used in the tourney rotation.

your courses are very good and another is very welcome in my course folder.

thanks for the heads up and i will be looking for it.

davef

Klipsch Sound System

#13 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

on a side note to the designers, if you need a player to test these  for the skills challenge tee's

just drop me a line. i already do a little private testing for a few of the designers on pinsettings which im always up for to.

At PGLS we are also set up to do beta testing and the system is solid. any member there can test the beta's as all opinion's are welcome and 

of value to the designers.

thanks 

have a great eve

Klipsch Sound System

#14 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

doing a little private test for one of the designer's , who is making sure his

course will play well for members with mid to low end cards on the FPS scale he is not an PGLS member so i'm posting a pic here for him

of the settings i use to keep most of these courses playable with a midrange card, anyone else concerned with this and would like me to take a look before you put it in beta just PM me i would be glad to take a look.

wow all of a sudden the boredom is gone.

oNvUlz8.jpg

Klipsch Sound System

#15 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

Another question to the designers who are putting in

the challenge tees for the MOP skills challenge points.

has nothing to do with the CTP on the par 3s.

are there more that 1 tee spot being put in for this MOP?

been testing these for tourneys at PGLS

tia

Klipsch Sound System

#16 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

There is just the one challeng tee category available. This means one challenge tee per hole, that's it.

However, the designer can decide on the size of that tee zone. By default it is small, 1 x 1, but it can be enlarged to 10 x 10, so that a random tee location is selected by the game within that 10 x 10 square. Depends on the designer.

I usually make my challenge tees small (1 x 1), because any major deviation, in either direction, from the original tee spot could alter the complexion of the intended challenge quite dramatically.

Do keep in mind, also, that challenge tees rather close to a large green can seem different, because the player will be shown aligned to whatever pin difficulty happens to be selected. And these can be quite far apart. So although the origin of the challenge may remain the same, the target might be 25y to the side at a completely different angle, requiring a different shot with a different club.

Even if you have just the one challenge tee, you have as many different challenges per tee as there are pins to aim at.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#17 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

There is just the one challeng tee category available. This means one challenge tee per hole, that's it.

However, the designer can decide on the size of that tee zone. By default it is small, 1 x 1, but it can be enlarged to 10 x 10, so that a random tee location is selected by the game within that 10 x 10 square. Depends on the designer.

I usually make my challenge tees small (1 x 1), because any major deviation, in either direction, from the original tee spot could alter the complexion of the intended challenge quite dramatically.

Do keep in mind, also, that challenge tees rather close to a large green can seem different, because the player will be shown aligned to whatever pin difficulty happens to be selected. And these can be quite far apart. So although the origin of the challenge may remain the same, the target might be 25y to the side at a completely different angle, requiring a different shot with a different club.

Even if you have just the one challenge tee, you have as many different challenges per tee as there are pins to aim at.

there is a bunch of great info in K11s post here maybe it should be put in it's own post and sticky at the top maybe titled

challenge tee's. This is a just all around fun MOP to challenge one's self with tough approach shots, great learning tool for the short game.

i have not gone through all the course's but im betting when im done the playable list will only be in the 40s. some of the designers have tried to put them in but im not sure they understand the MOP there are a lot that have shots that just can't be made. going forward if they know how maybe more will put them in. and im not slighting any of you fine designer's because you guys do a great job, where else could we see the kind of work we see here, nowhere.

with these great courses which i find all very challenging as they are. just think of what the designers could do to really make some shots hard and challenging for some fun tourneys. we play these at PGLS and they are fun to see what you can do against the other's on the leaderboards in the mid to short game. we got the MOP let's use it.

Klipsch Sound System

#18 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

Hi Dave,

MrCobra

great job on the spottings #9 242yrd hard one to hold the green. 1 st shot across the green and in the drink, when i noticed that rough

around that trap right in front of the pin. next 2 shots i stayed on the green but you got to hit that long grass to slow ya down. good job

all are well done .the 280yrd 18th,may not be make able in gusty or windy conditions, needs set with moderate wind.  and thanks for putting these in i got within 4'' on that.

good job on the challenge tee's, off to play some stroke there looks like i real good job so far.

thanks again

Klipsch Sound System

#19 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

still not understanding, you designers who have never played the point's skills MOP

do so, so you are not wasting your time putting in challenge tee's that don't work.

the challenge is to be able to at least make the green from the challenge tee's

it is a CTP challenge and you loose points if you don't at least make the green.

not trying to insult anyone here, just trying to help you understand the MOP

so you don't waste your time while designing your courses.

i also understand it was more then likely just another thing you guys have to figure out yourselves.

sorry if any are offended.

Klipsch Sound System

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users