#1 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

So while I'm working on this for a very long time now (with a 8 month break because of PC Issues an RL demanding my attention) I thought i share this Work in Progress now before I never come out with this ;) lol. I'm circa 80% through with it but there is still a ton of things left to do ... 

18 Holes are laid out but still a lot of blending, terrain work, planting and revisiting of some greens and bunkers.

Hole 3 498 long Par 4

5eRP9ST.jpg

JTie9KL.jpg

R4n7bam.jpg

4qEW64H.jpg

3dwIdKL.jpg

Yes i know the rock gap at the lake needs more bumpy reworking love ... and I just have seen that I've forgot to recalculate splines on the beginning of the left side of the fairway lol ... 

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:44 AM

great looking screens, you just gotta love the look of the snow on the mountains.

will be looking forward to release .

thanks

• mistajam likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Ok, I'm sorry to say but I originally posted this in October to get me going on the last meters (when I had two weeks of holidays and tried hard to finish the course). You guys who design in Course Designer yourself know how much time and effort (HOURS) is invested to finish a course.

The original purpose off showing what I'm working on was to get some Feedback and to push my motivation on the last meters.

Sadly it seems NOBODY than Davefv92c showed interest or seems to care about what i posted (thank you Davefv92c for your comment :)).

So unfortunately the exact opposite happened and my motivation to finish found a new record low as nobody except Davefv92c had something to say. 

So it's now on ice and I consider not to touch the Course Designer again. This also affected my lust to play the game I have to say.

Sad but True.

But common guys I'm a grown up ... I didn't expect just bees and daisy's ... if formulated in a human manner and constructive I think i can handle criticism ...

But almost nothing ... I really didn't expect that. Is it so "not good" and "not bad" that nobody has to say anything?

Fell free to say what you don't like ... I'll try to handle it like a man.

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

mistajam, what I see on your images does not stink at all... It's very nice and I think you should absolutely persevere. It certainly belongs right up there with the good works of other designers and seems to be of the same, high standard as theirs. Silence from the community does not indicate rejection, I'd say: sometimes some posts do slip under the radar, I've had that happen to me as well. The world does not hate you, so do not hate the world back.

I did not realise at the time that universal approval was a pre-condition for the continuation of your project. Surely the sacred fire of the designer should burn bright enough for you to carry on. Man, really, are you that needy? Stop it, because again, I do not see anything wrong or technically poor or unpleasant in your above images.

But you're a grown-up, so let me quickly mention the few not-bees and not-daisies as humanly and constructively as possible.

1. Why is the snow on the background mountains so dark and grey, even when sunlight shines on them? Either your albedo texture is too grey, or you are using a grey fog that makes them look grey. If latter, try to make the fog a bit brighter a five it a blueish tint.

2. The terrain texture you are using for the rocky shore of the water body in images 1 to 3 is not good, lacks detail, and also the slope you have painted it on is too steep (stretching the texture and washing it out) and too round (The kind of roundness natural rocks never have). There are a few strategies against this. Send me a PM for pointers.

3. Your sand traps are a bit too white-ish for my taste. Ignore this is if you feel they are just right. Right now they are the brightest element in view, even brighter than the snow on the mountain. Feels not quite right to me.

4. More of everything, please: More and diverse terrain textures, more grass types, more different tree models. Right now your course feels still a bit too samey throughout, too minimal and non-diverse, as if constructed on a tight budget of just a handful of textures, objects and plants. Then again, I see this in a lot of other courses from other designers and more than that, I also am guilty of the same sin in some of my works. 

All of the above are personal opinions, totally unimportant. But you've got something good going there, so don't give up.

• mistajam likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

do your own thing dude ,don't let the crap here bother ya.

you have the talent it takes to get out some great courses.

i to have often wondered why more folks here are not very encourging.

if you do pick it back up give me a jingle when you got something to test i would be more then happy to help in any way i can.

but oh well.

listen if i did listen to these folks here on the forum or even give a rats butt about what they thought of me i would not be here

i have no fans here, hell i get insulting PM to just STFU,nothing i have to say is relivent, got people who make up bogus accounts in steam and slander my name to no end. and TBH i just laugh my butt off at these folks it is so unneeded and only shows how immature they are.

i say screw em and im here and not going anywhere.

what im saying is don't let any group of people steer you from what you want to accomplish.

• mistajam likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#6 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

I have to agree with K11. Sometimes one just slips by and I honestly never caught this one.

Please DO NOT give up, finish your course, put it into testing and then we can help you fine tune anything that may need it.

I don't really like to give opinions on pics, only to say what you got going looks pretty darn good. It is a massive but fun effort to bring a course to conclusion. Keep at it.

Are you putting in any cart paths/clubhouse etc?

Keep up the hard work and let's get er done. There is plenty of room for new designers, we welcome you mistajam! :)

I am always happy to test courses.

• mistajam likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#7 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Get a beta version up for play and I'll gladly give it a go on the simulator and let you know what I find. I like the look of it so far. I agree with above about making the mountains pop a little more with a bit more white snow. Make them stand out
  • mistajam likes this

#8 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

Right now your course feels still a bit too samey throughout, too minimal and non-diverse, as if constructed on a tight budget of just a handful of textures, objects and plants.

I thought a handful of those things is all most of us have...

• mistajam likes this

#9 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

IMO, if this is his first few designs, getting the mechanics of the course is top priority.Make sure it's a playable course!

The rest will fall into place as you get better. Just my opinion though, if anyone cares.

• Kimmer1947 and mistajam like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#10 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

I thought a handful of those things is all most of us have...

You can get more, if you want. There are many, many assets available out there, but you would have to go looking for them.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#11 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

there is a ton of unity stuff out there.

was wondering around some torrent sites one day and found

hundreds of unity assets on it,had a section titled unity assets.

did not figure any pirates where here so i did not list it.

Klipsch Sound System

#12 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

Ok :) thank you guys for your comments ... was on holiday the last couple of days ;)

Yes Kablammo11 I agree "I did not realise at the time that universal approval was a pre-condition for the continuation of your project. " ... it really shouldn't hehe.

I'm not really needy ...

But the situation was as the following ...

I work on this quite a long time (since the Course Designer was released) and was shy to come to light. Then I've read a post here in show and tell of a really shitty course (don't want to mention names sorry) with a lot of positive responses and I thought well, what I did so far is way better so why not post and get some comments/opinions on where I stand (to get me going to finish).

And you are right it seems that my post just slipped under the radar (did't see that coming), but I interpreted the silence as non interest or disagree (my fault). Sorry for that.

So thank you for your precious time on commenting Kablammo11

1. Why is the snow on the background mountains so dark and grey, even when sunlight shines on them? Either your albedo texture is too grey, or you are using a grey fog that makes them look grey. If latter, try to make the fog a bit brighter a five it a blueish tint.

Its a bought Unity Asset and no I'm not using fog in my course. I was wondering about that myself but I'm not that experienced with texture work and don't know how to fix this at the moment. Also in some special angles the sunlight let some parts of the mountains shine in a unnatural way. Got no plan what to do about it.

2. The terrain texture you are using for the rocky shore of the water body in images 1 to 3 is not good, lacks detail, and also the slope you have painted it on is too steep (stretching the texture and washing it out) and too round (The kind of roundness natural rocks never have). There are a few strategies against this. Send me a PM for pointers.

Yes good point there, thanks ... I also thought this rock must be bumpier or I need to find another texture.

3. Your sand traps are a bit too white-ish for my taste. Ignore this is if you feel they are just right. Right now they are the brightest element in view, even brighter than the snow on the mountain. Feels not quite right to me.

Yes I tried a lot of different Bunker styles in the Layers Library ... and found the bright white ones finally the best for my kind of mountain course but you are absolutely right with your opinion about them in comparison with the snow on the mountains. That's the kind of critic I was looking for thanks :)

4. More of everything, please: More and diverse terrain textures, more grass types, more different tree models. Right now your course feels still a bit too samey throughout, too minimal and non-diverse, as if constructed on a tight budget of just a handful of textures, objects and plants. Then again, I see this in a lot of other courses from other designers and more than that, I also am guilty of the same sin in some of my works. 

Yeah I know ... and again you are right :) I invested a lot of time (and some bugs) in learning and using Speedtree (you know how that is lol) ... and yes it's constructed on a tight budget (specially time-wise lol) I was about to fix that when I started this post hahah but then lost all my momentum.

All of the above are personal opinions, totally unimportant. But you've got something good going there, so don't give up.

Thank you TOP! That's exactly what I wanted to know :)

#13 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Thank you Davefv92c this is really encouraging :) thanks for taking the time

Your experience here sound really horibble wow. 

do your own thing dude ,don't let the crap here bother ya.

you have the talent it takes to get out some great courses.

i to have often wondered why more folks here are not very encourging.

if you do pick it back up give me a jingle when you got something to test i would be more then happy to help in any way i can.

but oh well.

listen if i did listen to these folks here on the forum or even give a rats butt about what they thought of me i would not be here

i have no fans here, hell i get insulting PM to just STFU,nothing i have to say is relivent, got people who make up bogus accounts in steam and slander my name to no end. and TBH i just laugh my butt off at these folks it is so unneeded and only shows how immature they are.

i say screw em and im here and not going anywhere.

what im saying is don't let any group of people steer you from what you want to accomplish.

Yes you are so right :)

#14 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

So, thank you a lot axe360, Jwheels9876 and jt83 for taking your time on commenting and your encouraging words.

The sad thing is ... i abandoned the continuation of working on this (80% trough) at that time and started working on other things (I just do this in my free time). 

But I hope I will find time in the near future to hop back on designing the rest of it. ;)

Thank you all !! :)

• axe360 likes this

#15 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Well, whenever you get back to it, PM me about the snow and the rocks if you need help.

No need to explain at length your personal situation, I was just using reverse psychology to jolt you into action. 

• mistajam likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users