8 replies to this topic

#1 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:19 AM

Was there a beta update in the last day?

This is from my partner's perspective - neither he or I could see my ball.

https://youtu.be/awtcNSWIi7I?t=3122

I took the putt, SkyTrak picked it up ok, PG seem to get it as the '3rd shot' indicator went off. But ball didn't show.

Same happened next shot.

I mucked around, and eventually the ball started its journey from near the hole instead of the putter.

Same happened to my partner - ball started from around the hole instead of the putter.

Then on the next hole, ball was above the green - again SkyTrak picked the putts up, the "4th Shot" indicator went off but no ball action. When I changed to chip it, this is what happened:

https://youtu.be/awtcNSWIi7I?t=4186

All shots floated over the green - including our opponents. Jase's looked like it went off the edge of cliff into the hole:

https://youtu.be/awtcNSWIi7I?t=4332

Upon exiting the game, turning off the beta and rejoining we had no more issues. I wasn't hosting btw.

I also noticed on the OGT Putting Combine did similar things last night - SkyTrak picks up the putt, PG receives it, but doesn't show or count the putt. That Combine I've done 4 times over the last week, same course, same putts, and had no issues before.

Another reason me thinking a beta issue rather than the course.

#2 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

Spyglass was updated recently, so maybe you had different versions of the course? What you're describing is similar to what we have experienced when we have had different course versions. 

#3 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

It definitely sounds like it Ian, as I see in the update notes for version 1.1 "Smoothing all 18 greens" - and what we saw was the ball missing (likely under the green) and above the green.

However we always find if someone has a different version of a course to the host, the course gets stuck loading for them.

That indeed happened to my partner and he had to update. I definitely had the latest version, as did the other non-host. Also as Spyglass has the version number in its name, I can't see how PG even would find the wrong version to load.

I also suddenly had issues with a course that I'd played a bit in the last week, that didn't get updated as well. Different issues, but putting related - PG often accepting data from SkyTrak but not acting upon it.

So I'd ruled out any course issue - but not so sure now you've mentioned it. Really need to know if a beta update occurred.

#4 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

It’s possible jase or you still had the previous 1.0 version folder. Hash checked good but game loaded previous version. It’s a bug. I played beta 2-3 days ago with no issues. Make sure all players are on beta.

#5 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

I definitely didn't have the old folder still around, nor did Thinny when I asked him (who was the other one to see things incorrectly).

Jase and Burner saw the ball ok.

Nor can I understand why at 

https://youtu.be/awtcNSWIi7I?t=3282

both Thinny and I saw our putts take off from the wrong place. If the course files didn't match I could imagine the putt starting underneath the green's surface and what we were seeing was the ball emerging, however neither of us (especially Thinman) would have overrun the hole by that much. It looked like the putt started where it was first visible.

Also I saw no issue with the beta 2 or 3 days ago either or months prior - it's since then.

#6 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

Well despite the host and his partner initially confirming they had the latest Spyglass and even telling my partner to download the latest, out of desperation I asked them to give me the version number and they had the previous version (arrghhhh), one even saying he downloaded it on the 31st (when it was released on the 30th).

So all explained (except for the Putting combine playing up).

Thanks Ian. And yes, Zmax, it must be a bug that allows different versions to be played together.

#7 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:24 AM

There was about 24 hours between versions 1.0 and 1.1; once the second one was posted, I removed the first one. If you aren't sure which one you have, I placed a small "v 1.1" in the upper right hand corner of the splash screen that is not present in the first release.

I did lightly smooth a few spots; one of the beta testers told me he was finding a stair-stepping slope issue on two holes that I thought was gone, but apparently wasn't. I was willing to live with that, but then somebody discovered a rogue extra tee placed on #13 that wasn't supposed to be there and messed up some of the tournament settings, as the "tournament" tee setting was coming up in the menu and confusing the heck out of people. Once I found this out I had to push a new build. So there are minor differences in the slopes on some greens and that might have been the cause of your discrepancies.

I hope everything's working smoothly for everyone now. Nothing stresses me out more as a designer than to put out a course to the public and have some weird technical thing that starts ruining people's experiences. It is especially frustrating when you feel like you've had it thoroughly tested (as all my courses usually are) and then something pops up only after the final goes out.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#8 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

No problem at all Matthew and I knew it wasn't anything you'd done as two players were seeing things ok, so didn't post it in your beta thread. Just inconsistency in the game's course validation and wrong info from the other two made it hard to solve - host and his partner had 1.0, didn't let Thinman join because he had beta but let me join with 1.1, then Thinman join with 1.1 and everything was good until we came across the smoothing.

#9 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:31 AM

Well, I take a little bit of responsibility as a very stupid and careless mistake got into the initial release. Three weeks of beta testing wouldn't have caught it either, because I added the challenge tees at the very last minute and that's when this happened. That's the lesson you learn when you forget to do a debug....

And of course, when someone discovers such a mistake, I generally rush like a headless chicken to get the corrected update up as quick as humanly possible.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users