14 replies to this topic

#1 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

Great games gents but I am struggling with the mouse swing. The maximum ratio i can achieve is 0.10 and everything goes left and always out of the toe.
Any solutions?

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:42 PM

S,

Have you had a play with the Swing Meter Sensitivity? This option is in the SETTINGS > GAME menu.

Maybe trying a few different settings may make the swing more comfortable for you.

;)

#3 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

Also make sure your not taking the mouse to far back and slamming it forward to far, easy as you go, you only really need slight movements..

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#4 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

Great games gents but I am struggling with the mouse swing. The maximum ratio i can achieve is 0.10 and everything goes left and always out of the toe.
Any solutions?

Your downswing is much too fast relative to your backswing.  Getting the tempo correct is one of the more difficult things to do and then doing it consistantly is even harder.  It will take some practice but you will eventually get the "feel" for it.  It took me some time to get it as well.  Stick with it.   :)

• Charles likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#5 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:05 AM

Any solutions?

This motion swing is different than any other;  I played so much TW golf that I kept moving the mouse way to fast and far I couldn't help it - motor muscle memory - but anyway one day my brother visited and he played TW golf with motion swing he moved the mouse back hesitated a sec and hit the ball - he plays real golf  The Point is:

When I Slooooowly moved the mouse straight back then back up again it really helped. 

YOU HAVE READ THE GUIDE RIGHT - click on guides in Steam there is a motion swing guide 

This is from the guide:

Timing

This is the most difficult area to master in the motion swing. By watching real life pro golfers we determined that the ideal timing of the downswing in our motion swing should be 4 times that of the backswing. So for example if it takes you a second to swing to the top of your backswing, it should take you a quarter of a second to swing down and through the ball. If you time the swing correctly the clubface will be delivered on target. If you swing down too fast, the clubface will be pointed left and the ball will tend to start in that direction and vice versa if your downswing is too slow in relation to your backswing the ball will start right of target.

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#6 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

It should also be noted that any pause between backswing and downswing is counted as backswing time. The majority of people swing forward too fast thinking it will add more power to the shot - it won't but it might cause you to gain experience in new tree and bush types  :lol:

• Charles likes this

#7 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

It should also be noted that any pause between backswing and downswing is counted as backswing time. The majority of people swing forward too fast thinking it will add more power to the shot - it won't but it might cause you to gain experience in new tree and bush types  :lol:

Here is the Golfpro talking! :D And so true of course. Indeed, the only thing lacking in the MS is bodyturn from the waste down creating that good old club head speed. :) Anyway, TEMPO is the thing in MS, NOT swingspeed! Working on it is the only way to figure it out.

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#8 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

One question on the motion swing and that is the old Edgeing issue we had in Links. Will it still be an issue here as I hated this so much over there I only allowed classic swing. I love the fact that the motion swing magnifies your mistakes and want to use it or the xbox360 controller as it brings realism into the game. Just wondering.

#9 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

One question on the motion swing and that is the old Edgeing issue we had in Links. Will it still be an issue here as I hated this so much over there I only allowed classic swing. I love the fact that the motion swing magnifies your mistakes and want to use it or the xbox360 controller as it brings realism into the game. Just wondering.

Because the straightness of a shot is tied to both swing path and tempo using an edge doesn't really help.  Your swing path may be straight but if your tempo is off even the slightest (they calculate tempo out to 7 decimal places!) the ball will still move right or left.  And the fewer swing aids you use in your settings the more pronounced this becomes!  Any advantage to using an edge becomes minimal and nothing like it was in Links.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

#10 AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

Because the straightness of a shot is tied to both swing path and tempo using an edge doesn't really help.  Your swing path may be straight but if your tempo is off even the slightest (they calculate tempo out to 7 decimal places!) the ball will still move right or left.  And the fewer swing aids you use in your settings the more pronounced this becomes!  Any advantage to using an edge becomes minimal and nothing like it was in Links.

I understand this.  What I'd like to know is in what way the swing plane affects the ball.  Say I'm too fast on the backswing, meaning the ball will go left.  But then say my swing plane is out/in by 3 degrees, which would move the ball from left to right.  Would that then tend to straighten out the ball flight?

It would be pretty cool, I think, if the swing plane affected distance or maybe distance and a bit of direction.  Not sure how this meshes with the physics of golf, but such a thing might be interesting (or an interesting ability option).

So I suppose the question I'm asking is, how does the swing plane affect ball flight?

Alan

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Alan,

From the mouse-swing guide MJ added to the game, it says about the swing path:-

Swing path

The swing path is determined as you would expect by the vertical movement of your mouse as you swing back and through. if your swing path and clubface are perfectly aligned your ball will fly straight in the direction of your clubface. So in the case or a perfect golf shot, the clubface will be on target (because your timing was good) and you swing path was perfectly vertical causing the ball to fly dead straight. This perfect shot is a rare beast.

If your swing path is 'in to out' a golfing term which means in our game that the mouse swung back and through on a slightly tilted left to right axis, it will result in a negative spin axis. This means the ball will tend to curve to the left from where it started (draw or hook)

The opposite is true if you move the mouse on an 'out to in' right to left path compared to the clubface. This will result in a positive spin axis and make the ball curve to the right from it's starting line (fade or slice)

;)

#12 AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Alan,

From the mouse-swing guide MJ added to the game, it says about the swing path:-

Swing path

The swing path is determined as you would expect by the vertical movement of your mouse as you swing back and through. if your swing path and clubface are perfectly aligned your ball will fly straight in the direction of your clubface. So in the case or a perfect golf shot, the clubface will be on target (because your timing was good) and you swing path was perfectly vertical causing the ball to fly dead straight. This perfect shot is a rare beast.

If your swing path is 'in to out' a golfing term which means in our game that the mouse swung back and through on a slightly tilted left to right axis, it will result in a negative spin axis. This means the ball will tend to curve to the left from where it started (draw or hook)

The opposite is true if you move the mouse on an 'out to in' right to left path compared to the clubface. This will result in a positive spin axis and make the ball curve to the right from it's starting line (fade or slice)

;)

So in essence the swing path is the same as the tempo of the swing? 

In practice mode it seems the swing path has no affect on which way the ball goes.  Tempo does but not the swing path.  I'll need to recheck this but as far as I can see, if I go too fast on the tempo of my upswing (in relation to my backswing), making the ball go left; and then if  on the same swing I go out/in on the swing plane, making the ball go right, things just might even out, or at least the ball wouldn't go as far left as if I had hit an even swing plane.

This doesn't appear to happen.

I'll need to do more testing to see for sure.

Edit: Well, the swing plane does appear to have some affect on ball flight.  But am I right in saying that both the swing plane and the tempo do the same thing-- moving the ball either right or left?

I'd love to see something done regarding distance.  In real golf, even in the fairway you don't always get the maximum distance of a club, and this even with taking a full 100 % swing.  Again, not quite having a degree in Physics, is there any way of logically tying this (distance) to the swing plane?  Maybe along with an in/out and out/in left-right movement of the ball, couldn't the golfer lose a little distance-- not a substantial distance, but maybe two yards or so for each deviation from the plane. 

You could tie this to an ability level, conceivably?

Alan

#13 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

Alan,

Have you had a read of this yet?  It's a tutorial on the mouse swing that Mike Jones put together recently.  I think it should answer your questions.

http://steamcommunit.../?id=379449987 

#14 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

Hopefully this might help too - it's the same factors as real golf Alan.

http://grahamgolfaca...al-description/

To make it easy I'll simplify a little:

motion swing tempo = clubface direction = starting direction of ball

motion swing path = club swing path = spin axis (formerly known as sidespin)

Offset = heel or toe mishit = loss of distance

The calculations are slightly more complicated than this but this is basically the way it works both in real golf and in PerfectGolf

We have 2 swing aids that reduce the effects of the mistakes in the swing. If you turn all the aids off, it will be easier to see the true effects of your swing on the ball.

Love that you're digging into the motion swing and trying to figure it out. Hope this helps a little also read the guide again as posted above by JoeF. It will help :)

#15 AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:51 PM

Mike,

Thanks.  I think one of the first things I did was turn off the aids.  In the end they only make a person lazy and then by the time you're ready to go without them you've already developed unbreakable, bad habits.

Alan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users