some chipping stats for yous to go on....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:42 AM

Taken on the practice range at 100% power and averaged over a few shots I get the following results:

Pitching wedge:

Bottom spin: 47 yds

No spin: 53 yds

Top spin: 59 yds

56 wedge:

Bottom spin: 40 yds

No spin: 42 yds

Top spin: 27 yds

52 wedge:

Bottom spin: 45 yds

No spin: 48 yds

Top spin: 36 yds

Now some of you golfers can enlighten me a bit:

When you hit the ball with topspin it pitches higher and travels less, when you hit it with bottom it shoots lower and travels - to a none golfer that seems to be opposite to how I would envision it?

But for the pitching wedge hitting it with top makes it go further?

Ok golf heads time to teach deena a bit of the grand old game please......

oh just to say for the rookies to the game - if u r chipping it on to the green, you are best to chip around 1/3 to 1/2 the total distance to flag (depending on elevation, lie e.t.c. notwithstanding), as the ball will land and travel the rest on the green.

thanks

#2 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

I believe you are referring to adjusting the shot shape.  Moving it up causes a higher flight trajectory and moving it down causes a lower flight trajectory.  You aren't actually adjusting the spin on the ball.  To increase the amount of spin on a ball you need to overswing above 12:00 and to create less spin you underswing below12:00

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#3 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah

i see.

#4 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

Great tips!   Been messing around with these myself...  the practice range is just mint!  

#5 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

I believe you are referring to adjusting the shot shape.  Moving it up causes a higher flight trajectory and moving it down causes a lower flight trajectory.  You aren't actually adjusting the spin on the ball.  To increase the amount of spin on a ball you need to overswing above 12:00 and to create less spin you underswing below12:00

Thanks for that Joe. Helpful!  I'm going to make an assumption that you know what your talking about.  :D  :D  :D

Had never heard a soul say that overswinging gave you more backspin but I suppose it makes sense. ;)

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#6 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for that Joe. Helpful!  I'm going to make an assumption that you know what your talking about.  :D  :D  :D

Had never heard a soul say that overswinging gave you more backspin but I suppose it makes sense. ;)

That's what Mike said, lol.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#7 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

There is a bug on the spin reduction when you go to higher lofts but only for the 60, 56 and 52 wedges :)

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users