18 replies to this topic

#1 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

Request for lower stimp options. 8 is not nearly going far enough down. From what I have read the USGA, in 2001, recommended 4.5 as slow and 6.5 as medium from stimp readings all across the country. For Sim players it would be nice to be able to replicate the speed of some real world courses. I know many public courses around me that don't seem to hit that 8 mark if the sim is accurate.

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Stimpmeter

#2 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:25 AM

Playing at 4.5 would be lovely. I'd have to put a hole in the wall to hit one 40 feet

#3 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

Nothing wrong with more options, but as GC2 sim player, stimp 10 is about right to me. I find that I leave putts short on stimp 9. Can’t imaging stimp 6. The PGA I believe set stimp at 12.5 on average and LPGA is 11.5 average. My local public courses are around 9 on average.

#4 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Nothing wrong with more options, but as GC2 sim player, stimp 10 is about right to me. I find that I leave putts short on stimp 9. Can’t imaging stimp 6. The PGA I believe set stimp at 12.5 on average and LPGA is 11.5 average. My local public courses are around 9 on average.

I can think of only 1 local public course that plays faster than 8 feels on JNPG. There about 5 that play about the same and more than a dozen that are less. I know of at least one private club that is less. It's been a few years since I used a GC2 so I can't compare. All I really care about is being able to get the feel close to the actual golf course.

For the OGT online events is the Stimp pre-assigned or are the players able to choose individually?

#5 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Eeek!  I have not and won't play below 12 stimp for the last 2 years.  Even 10 stimp is painfully slow and reminds me of a round of miniature golf on a water logged course.

#6 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

For the OGT online events is the Stimp pre-assigned or are the players able to choose individually?

Pre-assigned.  Same with all other tournament settings such as wind speed and direction, etc..

This is to insure everybody plays on the exact same settings.  We have nearly 200 sim members with 50-60 playing each week.  Most rounds are set to either 9 or 10 stimp.

#7 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Eeek!  I have not and won't play below 12 stimp for the last 2 years.  Even 10 stimp is painfully slow and reminds me of a round of miniature golf on a water logged course.

10 stimp on a simulator is equivalent to 12 stimp for mouse/controller players

#8 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

10 stimp on a simulator is equivalent to 12 stimp for mouse/controller players

Interesting comment....  I did not know that the stimp speeds would play different as far as the amount of run out on a putt or the reaction of roll on a putt.

I am doing a test and waiting to borrow a stimp meter to test out what my carpet rolls out as on a real stimp meter.  Once I know that I can compare to what the Sim (GC2) show for the same carpet speed and compare numbers.  Right now the Sim (GC2) is showing about a 10 stimp which is very fast for a putt compared to what we play on all year on my home course.

#9 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

Interesting comment....  I did not know that the stimp speeds would play different as far as the amount of run out on a putt or the reaction of roll on a putt.

I am doing a test and waiting to borrow a stimp meter to test out what my carpet rolls out as on a real stimp meter.  Once I know that I can compare to what the Sim (GC2) show for the same carpet speed and compare numbers.  Right now the Sim (GC2) is showing about a 10 stimp which is very fast for a putt compared to what we play on all year on my home course.

It doesn't.  Run outs are the same.  I was referring to the difference in feel and how mouse/controllers movements are in distance vs sim players movements are in speed, especially with 3 click.  RTSM controller is a tad closer to sim putting.

#10 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Stimp numbers are generally fine for me - seldom does any stimp feel too fast or too slow.  Some pins can be inappropriate for the fastest stimps but that is down to the tourney admin and the set-up chosen.  However hardness of the landing areas deserves tweaking with either at least 1 additional pre-set or a scale of hardness like the stimp.

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#11 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

It's not about the current stimp settings being off. With a minimum stimp of 8 it means it is not possible to recreate the feel of any course with medium or slow greens.

#12 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

It's not about the current stimp settings being off. With a minimum stimp of 8 it means it is not possible to recreate the feel of any course with medium or slow greens.

Only problem is that our PG fairways stimp at an 8 so if they did make a green stimp of 6 or 7 it would be slower than the fairways roll when putting, however when hit punch shots on the same fairway they will not roll like that same 8 stimp would.  Every once in a while on a severe sloped fairway the ball will get into a roll mode where all of a sudden the effect is like an 8 stimp green and will roll to the base of a hill or roll off a fairway and stop only once it hits the rough.  The #10 fairway at Pebble Beach is one of those areas that a ball landing on the far left of the fairway will often roll off the fairway to the right.

I do agree with you that most public home courses are not playing as fast as most people think.  I am in the middle of getting a true stimp speed of my basement carpet which seems to be about a 10 so far with GC2 testing and that is fast and I would say is the fastest I would have ever played in real life.  However I have never been on a green that was said to be a higher stimp like a 11 or 12.

#13 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

I think threads like this need to be marked 'simulator request' as there is no separate section for them.

Many people replying here will be answering as a gamer, not a simulator user. For normal mouse and controller players I doubt anyone uses the 8 stimp at present, so they certainly wouldn't be pushing PP for lower ones! The game was supposed to simulate playing as a Tour Pro and no Tour courses would be using a stimp lower than 8 unless caused by severe waterlogging.

• GoldenBear likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#14 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

I think threads like this need to be marked 'simulator request' as there is no separate section for them.

Many people replying here will be answering as a gamer, not a simulator user. For normal mouse and controller players I doubt anyone uses the 8 stimp at present, so they certainly wouldn't be pushing PP for lower ones! The game was supposed to simulate playing as a Tour Pro and no Tour courses would be using a stimp lower than 8 unless caused by severe waterlogging.

However this is in the Simulator Thread so you could argue that most should pay attention to that and realize that this would be based on Simulator play.  It is easy to miss that when not clicking in the thread to respond and just the days posts on the right side of the forum.  True, this thread would make no sense to a PC click or controller play.

#15 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

However this is in the Simulator Thread..... 

Then it's either been moved since I made that post or I'm going mad!

There's probably arguments for either possibility.....   :lol: ... though I'm pretty sure it's the former.

#16 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:43 PM

I moved it after Acrilix made the point about it being a simulator request.

• Acrilix likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#17 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

tumblr_li5onz69ix1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

• Armand and SFR like this

#18 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Only problem is that our PG fairways stimp at an 8 so if they did make a green stimp of 6 or 7 it would be slower than the fairways roll when putting

Green Fringe and/or fairway fringe are available to be used for such areas. I assume they are slower. I have used larger fairway fringe in areas like you describe at pebble. If all else fails a little terrain modification to collect the ball as expected is pretty simple.

#19 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

Bringing up an old thread to give an update on testing putt speeds.  This is not a perfect way to test and is limited but shows an interesting result and may shed light on putting on the sim and thinking the speeds are too fast.

Using a real stimp meter to test a carpet speed I found it to be 11.5 to 12 stimp.  I used Pro V1 balls to test as I found that some balls have different shape dimples and that caused the ball to release differently and thus roll out more than average.

When comparing a GC2 putt speed of 4.25 mph, the real ball roll on the carpet was about 10.5 to 11 feet but when using the sim stimp of 11.5 to 12 that same putt would roll in game to about 12 feet or about 10% further in game than real life.

The problem I seen was when putting on the GC2 a ball speed of 4.64 mph in game that ball rolled 20% further than real life.

Then with a 5.85 mph putt, in game it was rolling 40% further than real life. Example the real roll on the carpet was 16' to 16' 6" on average and the roll the sim in game would give you would be about 22' 6".

So it may be possible the initial ball speed of 4.2 mph to obtain a 11 to 12 foot putt would be close and within reason, as the putt speed was slightly higher, the difference became way more exaggerated.

So if you think putts are rolling way to far for longer putts you may be right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users