8 replies to this topic

#1 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

I tried searching without luck, so I am posting my question here.

I am on hole 17 of my first course and I am trying to make a dogleg that is greater than 90 degrees.  This results in a tee to green distance of 245 yards.  As a result, when I place the tee it points towards the green.  I assume the game sees the whole as a par 3?   I will have many trees blocking a tee shot to the green, so there is no way a reasonable person would go for the green.  The shot should be to the fairway and then to the green.

The hole is set up as a par 4 and I tried using a 1st shot marker, but the tee still points towards the green.  I even tried making the 1st shot marker distance less than 245 yards, but the tee still points to the green.

Is there a way to make the tee point to the fairway?  Or maybe its silly to make a dogleg that is greater than 90 degrees?  It doesn't look all that out of wack to me?  Although, I've never played a real golf hole that bends more than 90 degrees...

i-7wLXfpg-X2.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

No.   The game logic will override your shot points when the pin is close enough for a club in your bag to reach.  This was done in the early days because people were complaining on short par 5's that the camera wasn't pointed at the green for a reachable 2nd shot.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

No.   The game logic will override your shot points when the pin is close enough for a club in your bag to reach.  This was done in the early days because people were complaining on short par 5's that the camera wasn't pointed at the green for a reachable 2nd shot.

If I understand you correctly...  The default yardage on a driver is 276 yards (If memory serves me right), So, in my picture above, if I place all pins 277 yards or greater, the shot marker will make the tee point to the fairway?

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

Not quite: The magic number here is 250 yds: The distance to pin at which the game automatically shifts from aiming at shot points to aiming at flags (this is based on the 3W as being the highest club that players can reasonably select to go after the green in 2 on par 5's). Either move your tees a bit back or towards the top of your image to gain those few yards and achieve the desired effect.

Make sure that you measure the distance to the nearest flag to the tee, not the center of the green. Also, your forward tees of course will still be afflicted by this, since they are all closer to the target.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

Not quite: The magic number here is 250 yds: The distance to pin at which the game automatically shifts from aiming at shot points to aiming at flags (this is based on the 3W as being the highest club that players can reasonably select to go after the green in 2 on par 5's). Either move your tees a bit back or towards the top of your image to gain those few yards and achieve the desired effect.

Make sure that you measure the distance to the nearest flag to the tee, not the center of the green. Also, your forward tees of course will still be afflicted by this, since they are all closer to the target.

This is great news.  Well, until I consider your second point about the other tees.  I've been trying to make a set of tees usable for the simulator guys (50 yards shorter than the back tees).  Re-aiming into the fairway will be a pain for them because they will not be able to use the overhead view to re-aim.  The overhead view of the hole doesn't capture where the shot marker is.  It captures tee to green.  I wish we could control what that shows.  If I could just zoom out a little...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:46 PM

You can't zoom out, the top view is an automatic in-game mechanism. It is what it is and we have to make do with how it is.

Your basic choice is to keep your original hole and risk aggravating/inconveniencing players OR change the entire hole layout to bring it more in line with less extreme golf design practices. If you want that particular hole to be shaped that way, just go ahead and leave it as it is: No matter if players will be bothered to spend 3 seconds to figure out what to do. You are the creator, so just create to your heart's desire. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#7 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I decided to scrap the whole and start over.  Going with a more conventional dogleg that will be darn close to 90 degrees.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#8 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

Solely from a design standpoint, doglegs greater than 90 degrees are beyond "typical" design. In the above example, It would seem the land would allow a better designed hole layout and still provide risks and rewards.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#9 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

With a fictional course it's probably not too much of an issue to readjust the layout but without thinking much about it I can find at least a dozen examples of real world courses in my immediate area where it would be an issue. I guarantee there are a good number more if I would actually give it a lot of thought. When I have my 8 person scramble I'm sure there is going to be some ribbing coming my way about the tee shot pointing into the trees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users