Photo

Golf simulation - what does the future hold?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 wjf67

wjf67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

Is virtual reality the natural progression? Wearing those VR specs to provide a 360 degree experience?

#2 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

It's one thing to play VR with fake clubs and a pretend swing like they have now, but when you are swinging real clubs I can't see how one could do that and wear any sort of device on your head and still not change the depth perception you need to hit the ball.

I think just getting all game physics to be accurate would be a huge advance in Simulator Golf.

#3 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

This is easy.

Perfect Golf 2 with 3D grass.   :)

• wjf67 likes this

#4 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

I can only imagine the number of injured wrists and broken simulator hardware.

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

I think full blown simulators are the height of golf simulation.

Yes, VR is cool and in the right situation is so immersive, like driving games, flight sims, FPS etc. With golf, while having the full 360 view would be cool, you only really need to be concentrating on the view where you're aiming, which is why golf simulators work so well and really don't require VR.

When playing a shot you only really need the view ahead and the periphery. You don't really need to be looking over your shoulder with a VR headset on IMO. Using real clubs, with real balls, hitting in to a rendered image of a golf course on a screen using a shot tracking device such as SkyTrak or Trackman for me is as good as it gets. 

#6 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

Daz,

Throw in scrambles online with 3 other guys from different parts of the world and using voice chat. It’s a blast. Only available with jnpg Simulator. :)

#7 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

Not VR - I've even tried playing JNPG in 3D with nVidia 3D Vision glasses - it just doesn't work for golf simulators as you get taken too much out of the club-ball world. Golfer needs to be in the real world, resulting strike in the virtual world.

The future is definitely higher poly vegetation to get that that photorealism back - that Links and WGT had despite the drawbacks with their 2.5D type worlds.

#8 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

A proper sim setup holds much more appeal than any VR experience and i have no room for sim so PG2 will be my future...hopefully :/

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#9 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:52 AM

As others have pointed out a 350 degree view really wouldn't add much to the experience not to mention the issues with not being able to see the actual ball and club. However, I think there is some merit to an expanded view. Say 180 degrees where the simulator capture is over head, you have a screen in front of you and one to each side (3 total screens) where you can turn and hit in almost any direction forward.

The problem I see, which is already a problem holding back the simulator market, is space. We need homes with adequate space which around my part of the world is hard to find at an 'available to most anyone' price point. Not sure we will ever get there.

#10 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:52 AM

Space is nice, but I use JNPG and even compete in OGT tournaments, especially long drive, at my local driving range - as I only have 8 foot ceilings at home.

There are quite a few guys who have cheap nets that they hit into in the backyard, and align and watch the result on a laptop. Was quite funny when one had to quit a round because it started raining.

#11 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

My home has 8 foot ceilings as well and I have a neighbor below plus to the side. No yard available and driving ranges are not open this time of year in my area. The only one open, that I have access to, would be limited to about 150 yard shots. Before I made the plunge I spoke with the owner of the company I work for and they were OK with me using some warehouse space as long as the sim can easily be removed in a relatively short amount of time. Right now it takes about 45 minutes to setup and another 45 to tear down. Thankfully I can leave it up for extended periods.

#12 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

Given the choice of 8' ceilings versus traveling to the simulator, I'd take the 8' ceilings. It's nice having it at home so one can just hit a few shots when there's a few minutes to spare.

I'm 6' tall - my ceiling has lots of marks on it from hitting on about 1 in 20 followthroughs, but it's just a bit a plaster and paint to fix.

#13 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:19 AM

Hmmmm ... I'm 6' tall as well and last time I tried, I could only swing a SW (comfortably) with 8' ceilings.  Different swings, obviously!

#14 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:41 AM

I had to modify the swing quite a bit :)

#15 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

We just need to learn to keep it compact

• Armand and shimonko like this

#16 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

I would go for this one. (If I had that kind of money..lol)

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#17 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:14 PM

It’s funny. I have a 270cm height and have never hit the ceiling but every visitor comes round and hits it with first wood shot they play. I’ve always said to just do a normal swing but even scratch players suddenly produce a seal culling swing and hit the ceiling. It takes a while to forget about the restrictions.

#18 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:09 AM

We lowly computer players worship you from below...but...of course...I don't have to get as much exercise. ;)

#19 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

“Lowly computer player”!!!! I’ve been a computer player for nearly 40 years going back to the days of Leaderboard on the Commodore 64. I still play mostly on pc but that’s the brilliance of this game. You can do both with equal enjoyment.

#20 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

I started on Leaderboard too! The one with no trees, just a crude fairway shape and green. I was being a little facetious in my post. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users