• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

I thought it might be nice to start a thread so people can post a bit of info about themselves if they want to, what kind of golf games they have played in the past and indeed what games they are currently playing. Anything they want to say about their history which has brought them here to share the PerfectGolf experience.

#2 LasseThid

LasseThid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMölndal, Sweden

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Well, I'm a 48 year old golfer in real life with a personal best of 69 shots for 18 holes in real life and a 3.5 handicap as the lowest-

I've played golf since Leaderboard on the Commodore 64 and Amiga. I've also played Links 386 and Links LS 99 to 2003 in every available version. I've also tried various TW versions, Golden Bear, TGC and a few online versions, but Links has been my main golf game.

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz 8GB GPU: MSI GeForce 970 GTX Gaming 4G Sound: Creative Soundblaster Extreme Gamer SSD: OCZ Agility 3 64GB HDD: 1x 2TB, 1x 1TB, 1x 320 GB Western Digital PSU: Corsair CX 600W Chassi: Thermaltake Aguila

#3 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

Just replace his above (LasseThid), with my name too...lol..

except the real life scoring... lol.. nearly got away with it

#4 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

I am 47 years old and also golf in real life... certainly do not get out as much as I used to, but that is ok.   I play when i can.  

If my memory serves me correctly, the first golf game I played was Intellivision golf.   Leaderboard on the Commodore 64 and Amiga.  PGA Golf on Sega 16bit.    MS Golf and all versions of Links!   I still have all my versions, course add-ons, etc,  Tried TW04, didn't like it.  Tried it again in 2008, I enjoyed it.   One surprise golf game for me was John Daly's ProStroke Golf.   Wasn't very popular, but I though it was fun.. loved the "first person" view of your arms, looking down at the ball.. physics were decent as well.  Game play was terrible, which is why so many didn't like it. 

Latest purchases were TGC, however, have not played in a while.  I am still playing Links 2003 as courses are still being released and one of the reasons why I have been following and now playing PG! 

#5 Superstar

Superstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, U.K.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Right, I'm 43 years of age and apart from having played 18 holes about 10 years back, have never played golf in real life.

I've been playing computer golf since 1992 (MS Golf) and then carried on with Links 2003 until now. I reckon that I will split my available gaming time (whatever my two young girls allow me to have) between Links and PG. I'm exited to see how PG will evolve and can't wait to upgrade my PC soon, so I can take full advantage of the beautiful graphics.

Have always loved playing MJs and Andrews Links 386 courses, so had no doubt about their commitment to this PG when I signed up for the game.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4 GHz

ASUS MAXIMUS VII Hero mobo

16 GB of G.Skill Trident X F3 2400MHz

ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 980 4GB RAM

Logitech Z5500

AOC U3477PQU

Fractal Design Define R5 case

Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview Build 10130

"It's in that place where I put that thing that time"

#6 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

I'm in my mid 50's (age not scoring :) ) took up the real game at 16 and played often 5 rounds a week.  Basically I was obsessed with the game spending hours on the driving range and putting greens. Never took lessons but spent hours reading different books and articals on swing improvement. Played to an 8 hdcp in my prime with a 73 being my best round ever.

Back issues the last few years has kept me from playing on a regular basis now but still get out as much as I can. Never played golf games until about 2006. Heck never had a pc until then as I spent all my money on real golf :).  Started with TW and loved it and discovered the ability to create courses for the game and this became my new passion. Tried a few console games but just found them as an entertainment thing more then a golf sim which isn't a bad thing either. 

Still play TW08 about 4 times a week but look forward to course forge coming soon and hope to dive into it up to my eyeballs.    

#7 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Okay, here I go. I'm 58 and still a kid deep down. ;) My golfing started when I was around 13. Taught myself and played up till I was 18. Then a big gap and picked it up again at 30. Took it up real serious, lessons etc, and played fanatically right up to 2007. Couldn't get beyond 16 hcp but gave it my all anyway. Had to quit because of a nagging right hip which kept pulling my shots, driving me nuts, so that was that. In the meantime I picked up sim-golf around 1998. Started with Microsoft Golf 99, then bumped it up to the Jack Nicklaus6-GBC game to land it with Links'03 in 2004. Never looked back since. The RTS swing did it for me. Best thing out there. Play the elite level around 5 hcp (under par). Play only off line through LTS files and also against recorded rounds with friends. On line is too much fuss for me. Since last year I also play on the UK off line tour (OTUK) managed by the one and only Dazmaniac. B)  When Links'03 was eventually upgraded with the 1.07 'Mod' version and the coursedesigners started producing stellar -real and fictional- courses, with Mike Jones gloriouslly leading the way, I thought I'd never look elsewhere. I was wrong... :rolleyes: Since today I have seen the birth of it's succesor and it's name is Perfect Golf. When finished and polished, it's going to be a monster! Let's go to the mountain top Mr Jones!!! We're all waiting...

• KenR likes this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#8 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Missouri

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

I'm 44 and started playing golf at the age of 5, my dad taught me and it just came natural to me. My parents dream was for me to be a pro but I lost interest in that idea when I started high school. Should of listened to them..lol. I'm a scratch golfer and have been playing ever since the age of 5. I love golf games and the more realistic the better, don't care for arcade style golf games. I started out playing Links: The Challenge of Golf in 1990 and that's what really got me hook on video golf. I played links off and on over the years and have always wanted an updated version of it or something like it. I've played some TW games and of course some others on the PS1,2,3 and 4. I also play TGC some but not that much, just isn't my thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how PG grows and matures. I also hope it becomes the game that we are expecting it to be....Perfect Golf.  :)

Courses Created with Course Forge:

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#9 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hi I'm deena, an eccentric visionary and recluse. Always seeking ways to escape reality or find a reality that suits me - I have an obsession with reality itself from quantum mechanics to biocentrism (the universe dies with me kind of thing), but I won't expand any further because you will probably call the cops in or summut, lols.

I think I played a golf game on someones digital watch when I was 9 or something....?? anyway it's not really golf that brings me here, it's more an escape thing - I love the scenery from the very first time I saw Augusta when Larry Mize did that amazing chip in, it was those rich glades of nirvana that captivated my soul, a real escape in to paradise. I will certainly be buying course forge but with as much interest in recreating those heavenly glades just to put on screen and fall in to as much as creating any golf courses.

I have a real long-wave view of life, day-to-day society is just an irritation and i always seek to escape it, everything is trivial realy because it takes a photon of light 1 second to circumnavigate the globe 7 and a half times and 120 thousand years to go from 1 end of the milky way to the other!!!

Nothing matters, take your time, no pressure :D 

ok deena your 60 minutes is up, see you neext week says the shrink lolololos

haha

:lol:  

#10 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

I am 59 years old, and have been an avid arcade and simulated golfer for over 20 years.

My first video golf game was called Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf on the Nintendo system.

In 1989 I bought an IBM PC with a whopping 100mb hard-drive and with that purchase

I bought LINKS the Challenge of Golf. I still have the 5 floppies it took to install the game

and the Torrey Pines course. I was captivated and addicted to the flight of the pixelated

ball, and even more astonished when LINKS386 had a round ball. In I think 1998/99 I joined

Cases Ladder, Links Corner, and played a ton LINKS in the old MSN ZONE. I have followed

Mike,Ian, and Andrew for many years, and now that I have put LINKS to bed, I will follow them

wherever their Golfing Gods lead as I am sure there will be exciting things to come.

• IanD likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

45 years old (going on 20). Like sports, TV, films, music, gaming and all the other usual stuff you'd stick on a dating site bio, lol.

Like most sports especially golf, football (LFC fan since '77) and motorsport. Play golf IRL in weekly club competitions and with work golf society, still playing off 5. Got down to 3 in mid 90's and represented home club for the scratch team in local and regional union events and league matches. Played against Lee Westwood 3 times when he represented Worskop as a young amateur before he turned pro, unfortunately losing on all 3 occasions.

Have played all the Links series since Links: The Challenge of Golf. Currently still running my Offline Tour for Links 2003, which is now in it's 7th year as a stand alone tour (ran it for 3 years prior as part of the now defunct Wire LS site for Links).

Gaming wise I like golf, driving/racing, turn based strategy and point click adventure. Play games mostly on PC and PS4. Current go to games are :- Perfect Golf (EA), Links 2003, Assetto Corsa, iRacing, DriveClub, The Crew, Skyrim, Endless Legend, Blackguards to name but a few.

Got interested in the Perfect Golf project when MJ posted on LinksCorner about the possibility of a new PC golf game utilising their Perfect Parallel golf simulator software. Realising both he and AJ were involved (knew MJ from his great visualization work and Links 2003 courses and AJ from my time over at apcd-courses.com playing on the OWGC Tour) so knew the passion that would be in the project. When the Kickstarter failed I thought the project was done, but the guys at PP managed to work some magic and secure some deals using their TV broadcast suite software which in turn put funds towards the PC golf game. For a small team who are not gaming developers, IMO they have worked wonders and this EA is hopefully the start of something that will grow and improve over time.

I can only thank MJ and AJ for allowing me to join the closed ALPHA/BETA testing team way back and also for finally bringing the game to the masses via Steam. I know I'm in it for the long haul so it can take as long is it takes.

;)

#12 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

Hi, 43 years old and have been playing golf games on various platforms since Leaderboard on the Commodore 64. Links 2003 was my all time favourite and spent a while as part of WireLS club (Hi Dazmaniac....unclespawn checking back in!) , but then life got in the way, kids etc and time on pc/xbox got less.

Used to play real golf, but 16 was my best handicap though I did mange to shoot a 77 one day (+5) which I was over the moon with, now it's a case of every once in a while...sigh...

Currently owner of Southern England Links CC on WGT and enjoying setting comps and recording all scores, tables etc but came across this about a year ago and have been keeping tabs on it. Looking to see if I can create a cross over club to here in the future, thinking it will be on a Links style set up.....?

Initially impressed with the EA version, and hopeful of great improvements over the coming months, enjoying the difficulty of the game..nice not to be shooting -14!

unclespawn is my steam name, or Affo on WGT if anyone wants to make contact and put heads together for future club/tournament ideas.

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#13 golfhuone

golfhuone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

At age 43 I am playing probably best golf of my life IRL. Handicap is moving around 7-10 and I am suffering long cold winter here in Finland. Two years ago we had golf simulator with my friend but we sold it. It was P3Pro and not THAT good. Now we are waiting PG to evolve great at simulator use. Hope that integration with hardware is affordable.

I have been playing mostly Links 2003 and WGT. Bought TGC also when it was EA but not played much. I like to hit balls at range. Even it is minus degrees ;)

Will play much more with PG EA. See you!

#14 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

Hi, I'm 62 and have been playing real golf since I was about 10, although that was sandwiched around the big 3, football, basketball and baseball. Played those 3 sports in the Navy and also began to get more serious about my golf during that time. After my service days (6 years) gave up everything but golf after a knee injury (thank goodness could still play golf). Quickly became a low single digit hdcp and eventually scratch. My lowest round is a 63 (twice) on my local muni I frequent, and still play around scratch, although I'm now migrating towards the senior tees as a concession to my age (and having a lot of fun doing it -- play it forward really is a good thing and golf is still enjoyable for an old guy like me).

I've been playing golf on my PC's since my first back in '87 (World Golf), moved to Links with my next PC and all the other Links titles since. I've also played the JN series and this past year have had some fun with TGC while waiting for PG.

I had no doubts this effort from Mike, AJ and the rest of the team would be the worthy successor to Links and after playing it now for 2 days my faith has been rewarded. I'm happy to be back to 3 click (my preference) and look forward to all the enhancements, improvements, Course Forge and all as time progresses. I have a course I want to do with CF and will begin spending time on it when CF becomes available.

Very pleased now that PG is out, and thanks to the PG team for getting it out now. Hope to see some more courses soon, but now that the game is here can be patient waiting for that.

Thanks guys!

Ken

#15 syfy2k4

syfy2k4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

hello, 45 years old here. as a kid, i spent every third or fourth sunday with my grandma and grandpa playing golf. (2 brothers filled the other time slots) as time went by i took some lessons and learned all the things i should not do, which naturally are the things i do best. as more time went by and knees kept getting messed up with volleyball or basketball, i became the cart driver on the local courses while the friends played. in truth i have not played in at least 9 years.

unlike most of you, i never bought a golf game before. i've played various Tiger games at friends houses, but this is my first paid for golf game, and it seems like i chose a damn fine one to start with.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit...EVGA 660SC 2GB GPU...8GB Gskill 1600 Mhz RAM...AMD Black Edition 8350 8 core CPU @4.3Ghz...1TB WD HDD...120GB Gskill SSD...ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX R2.0 MOBO

#16 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

Yo, I'm a half century old and never played real golf, except one visit on a driving range and I tell ya, the guys on my left really had to duck every 2nd shot :D

I played almost all Links games since 386 and I was playing hardcore at Links 2003. After MS shut down the gaming zone I strted loosing interest in it as I loved the community and Multiplayers. So I went to shot-online which I call my biggest mistake. When I heard about TWO I signed up as a beta tester, but when I saw the lack of interest in the devs I think I never posted something in their forums ;) I played TWO until EA shut it down and then played TW08 for a while. Since I heard about PG some years ago, I was just waiting for it and here I am now :)

I then had the honor to be one of the testers here and I was really impressed how fast the game evolved in these 4 months. Now the game takes the next step and I hope the people will judge fair :)

Who cares...

#17 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

many of you know me...
i have been around since the dark ages when all we had to play was Pong.
i have been involved with computer golf since the Amiga days in some way.
some of us have been friends now for over 20 years playing and designing on the internet.
here's to the next 20 continuing to try and make it better and more fun to play.
looking forward to making more new friends in the new game.

• fungolfer and NoPutt like this

#18 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

Well I am 58 and play golf almost every weekend in the Myrtle Beach SC area where I reside on weekends. Been playing the game since I was 10 and best round of 70 in 1978. I play to about an 8 HDCP and still enjoy walking the course vs riding. I have played video golf from Links 386 and have had a dab at all golf video games since but love the old and current Links. I have never designed a course as I just play and know this game is in good hands with this design team as their work over the years speaks for itself. My belief is that most of the crew at LSPN will end up here and really looking forward to many more years of online golf.

#19 BirdiemanBob

BirdiemanBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:59 PM

I'm 67....I, too, started on a commodore Amiga in 1991.   Played links and TW until EA shut out the PC.  Been playing WGT (World Golf Tour) online for 2 years...obtained the rank Of Legend...but WGT is a gaint $$ vacuum.  Been waiting for this game for quite awhile...the beta looks good...can only get better....BTW I am from Seattle....GO HAWKS!!!

#20 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

I’m 51 and started computer golf with Links 2001. It was through this I met my late friend, Mick Lenton when he offered to beta my first course design. I have played Powerstroke almost exclusively since it was available, with a year’s foray into RTS. I have helped run various tours and hope to play more once I can find the time.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users