17 replies to this topic

#1 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

I imported some Sketchup Models into my project and added a particle asset. After many hours of tweaking I got the settings just right but to my horror the bottom left of the Unity screen has the error shown in the title of this thread. Now when I go to turn Course Forge on nothing happens. No additional errors are shown and I am now stuck. I can edit the terrain with the terrain tools but can't get the Course Forge icons to come up.

#2 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:31 AM

I hope I haven't lost my file. Too much work done by hand. I poked around and found about 4 errors but was only able to copy 1 before accidentally clearing the others. Not sure ow to get the errors to show again. I can use the Perfect Parallel menu in unity but clicking on Course Forge On does nothing.

The error I was able to save:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[PerfectParallel.CourseForge.CourseBase+Hole].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
PerfectParallel.CourseForge.CourseBase.ForceUpdate () (at Assets/Perfect Parallel/Course Forge/Scripts/Engine/CourseBase.Info.cs:524)
PerfectParallel.CourseForge.CourseBase.OnEnable () (at Assets/Perfect Parallel/Course Forge/Scripts/Engine/CourseBase.cs:172)

#3 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:54 AM

I turned off the particle systems and that didn't resolve the issues. I then deleted the particle systems which also did not resolve the issues. When I click on one of the 2 errors in the Console the text Terrain is highlighted in Yellow in the inspector but clicking on it gives no indication of why the error is occurring. 

#4 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:09 AM

I deleted the particle systems and the Sketchup objects but no luck. I loaded a backup of the terrain and no luck. Unity then executed an autosave with my objects and particle systems excluded. I think I am going to be sick now.

#5 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:15 AM

Before I try to sleep which probably won't come easy now, I have one last hail mary. If I can't fix the issue please tell me there is a way to export my height map from the current file to a new file? It will be painful to have to redraw all the splines and painting created so far but not nearly as painful as losing all of the hand carving I have done.

#6 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

Sounds like CF is Missing from your Assets. Re- Import CF.

The error looks like a scripting error, possibly the Sketch-up

object had an attached script which PG does not allow, or

maybe the particle system.

As for the Heightmap, no reason you shouldn't be able to recover it,

and use again.

It's UNITY, you will get errors. If the error icon is Red it needs attention,

if Yellow, usually not a biggie.

Oh, and make back-ups for these situations.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#7 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

Tried importing course forge again and the only things listed were a new terrain, course1 and custom.cfl. Importing these did not resolve the issue.

#8 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

So if I can't find a fix is there anything else besides the heightmap that I am able to export? Such as my splines or meshes?

#9 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

It can be fixed, but I'm not going to guess.

If you wish to share your screen on SKYPE

I may can help.

Skype Name:  noputt007  gimmie a call

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#10 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

The site went down there for a bit.

I appreciate the offer but I won't have access to that computer until much later today. The particle system and objects are sadly already lost so I will just have to start over with those. I saved screen shots of as much info as I could for the particle systems.

I'm guessing the amount of time it would take to get Skype installed, figure it out and have someone check the file it would be close to a wash time wise with starting fresh. If there is no way to save the splines/meshes those aren't a game stopper but the hazards will be a pain as there are just so many control points. I haven't figured out how to limit the number of control points for hazards like you can for the other splines. Other than that it is a single water plane and some grasses which shouldn't be that hard to replace.

How do I go about exporting and importing the heightmap to a new file? I will probably start with a new file and try to import the objects and test then move onto the particle system and test again before I try to import the other items.

#11 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Skype takes only seconds to install.  Skype.com   and Free

I have screenshared with most of the designers here, and they with me,

we all need help now and then, and Skype is the fast way to get to the problem.

You can export the heightmap...bottom right.

WeaOamT.jpg

#12 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

I'm going to at least attempt an export and reimport of the heightmap into a new file. If nothing else it will give me experience as I may want to stich together 2 of my 9-hole courses at some point and this will be good practice. Once I complete the import into the new file I will test adding the models and particle system. If those don't have issues then I will make a decision to either go forward with the new file or attempt to fix the original file.

#13 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

I would say you have a corrupt library loaded. First you should make a back-up of your project.

I was able to replicate the "argumentoutofrangeexception"

Delete the Perfect Parallel Folder

Delete the Perfect Parallel Libraries Folder

Drag in a known good Perfect Parallel Folder, The library folder will create itself.

Turn course Forge on, open the library and choose a known good library cfl file.

I did a quick video if this helps.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#14 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Good Job, JimBob

#15 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

I will have to give that a try when I get a chance.

For right now I created a new file, imported objects and particle system and nothing broke on me this time. I was able to create a basic hole and play through a single shot (need to run out for a bit and am already late). My objects and particles seem to be right at the edge of the default viewing distance. Is there anyway to get them to show up clearer? I tried setting the view distance in the game to max which brings the second object into view but it still has that fuzzy look to it.

#16 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:49 AM

Jimbobh - I tried your suggestion. I get to the point where I delete the 2 folders and grab a known good version of the Perfect Parallel folder and drag that into unity. When Course Forge On is clicked I get a similar File Load Error from Unity but when I click OK the Course Forge Icons do not show up. When I go into the console it just keeps throwing the same ArgumentOutOfRangeExcepion errors. I cleared them out but get the same errors each time I click Course Forge on.

I also tried deleting the 2 folders and using the Assets>Import New Asset menu item to reimport from the Course Forge base file CFtutorial.unitypackage. That did not resolve the issue but did import the course1 terrain (so both m created terrain and the course1 terrain were in my unity file). After deleting my created terrain Course Forge on finally worked. I had already changed course1 to us 1 of my backups. What I am left with is the correct terrain and some planting but no splines, meshes, objects or particle system.  

The original file is now pretty useless as the splines/meshes are gone since it auto-saved again. I am moving forward with the new file and trying to resolve the view distance issue with the imported models.

#17 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

Do the splines show up in the Hierarchy when you turn Debug on?

If you want, you could upload your course somewhere as a package and I can take a look. It would be good to know the remedy.

To export your course as a package, Go to Assets/Export package, Wait for the window to load. Might take a few minutes.

At the bottom of the window click "none" this unchecks everything.

Then just check;

Perfect Parallel

Perfect Parallel Libraries

Terrain  (the one you are using)

Your overhead image

and the Scene file.

This will keep the package file size small.

I'm not sure what you mean by "view distance issue with the imported models" A screen shot would help.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#18 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:19 AM

The original file is gone. I moved on with the new file and posted a WIP in the Course Discussion forum. Thanks both for trying to help. Saving the height map saved me a lot of rework.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users