#21 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

Is this about Menu Screen ?
If so, I think it is possible to assign a background color. But I need to find a way to have no effect on the framerate.

Yeah the menu and the post shot overlay…
It can just be really hard to make out depending on what's going on behind it

#22 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Played the Walker Course again to test the latest fix. I took 4 pictures covering the lake's expanse to show the difference between the fake reflections of JNPG and the real reflections of this patch. This particular course is so well optimised that I was getting really good frame rates here, even with the reflections turned on!

Walker_Course1.jpg

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#23 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

Don't know how much work tamuchan put into this but personally I think this should have been a standard feature on the graphics settings page.

I'm torn between using this all the time but like others not crazy about the transparency issue.  The big issue for me is, I like to keep the old closer player FOV setting we have in the beta build.  I hope they can at least make that final patch to the public build.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#24 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

Great, If I would have had reflective water at the time i would 

have used it. 

Even with a transparency  I feel the water would still not

look right unless the designer added a textured pond/lake 

bed under the water. In the case of the Walker Course I'm

afraid you'd only see grass or a blank terrain under the water.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#25 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

Great, If I would have had reflective water at the time i would 

have used it. 

Even with a transparency  I feel the water would still not

look right unless the designer added a textured pond/lake 

bed under the water. In the case of the Walker Course I'm

afraid you'd only see grass or a blank terrain under the water.

You can only work with what is available at the time.

I don't think this reflective patch is perfect by any means, or believe that a perfect solution could even be made for JNPG, but it is a great leap forwards from what we had previously in most circumstances. It was the same in Links 2003. The mirror-like reflections were far from realistic, but still a great improvement on no reflections!

#26 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:41 PM

I have to be honest and if I had to choose, I like the way normal looks better than the reflective water.   maybe I am weird. 

• Keith likes this

#27 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:19 AM

I have to be honest and if I had to choose, I like the way normal looks better than the reflective water.   maybe I am weird. 

Same here, you normally don't get perfect mirror images in water reflections, just doesn't look natural to me. I'm sure if was be done right you would see a more natural blurred images of reflections depending on water conditions. Now this is not the fault of the patch from what I understand. But having to do borderless windows for something I'm not all that impressed with is a deal breaker. Specially given the FPS drop even with a Titan(pascal) overclocked. 30+ FPS at FloridaPalmsBlue on either setting.

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#28 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:32 AM

I totally agree it'd be great if the wind/breeze could impact the reflections a bit, but I'm pretty happy with the patch honestly.

You certainly can get fairly perfect on many courses and situations.

Sawgrass comes to mind (among many situations), but I agree, it would be amazing if it was even better, but I'm sure that's a game issue and not the patch's fault, as was said above.

sawgrass17-847-chriscondon.jpg

SAWGRASS-17-CHRISCONDON-990x556.jpg

#29 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:33 AM

PGA National

1481742147-Golf_Header_7fazio_1025x490.j

PGA-National-Resort-Spa.jpg

#30 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:34 AM

Copperhead:

p-innisbrook-copperhead-landscape_54_990

#31 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:35 AM

The way that a water surface reacts differently to light vs terrain in real life is what I think really makes the biggest difference, vs the perfection of the reflected image.

Again though, as Wire pointed out above, it's a limitation of the PG game more than anything I think.

#32 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

I have to be honest and if I had to choose, I like the way normal looks better than the reflective water. maybe I am weird.

Do you still dabble with Links 2003?

If so, do you have the reflective water turned off then?

#33 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

When we do reflective water on our courses we don't use unity's standard water reflection shader which is why our reflective water and the one in the patch differs a lot. I would say that on the courses where we use reflective water it looks better than in this patch.

Having said that this patch is a nice 3rd party addition to the game so hats off to the OP for his efforts.

#34 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

I would say that on the courses where we use reflective water it looks better than in this patch.

Having said that this patch is a nice 3rd party addition to the game so hats off to the OP for his efforts.

There's no question about it!

But as you said at the end, it's just nice to have the patch as an option for all the courses that will likely never get an R version.

Is there any hope for the rest of the official PP courses to get R versions?

Muirfield comes immediately to mind as I remember preview and splash screen shots of that course did actually show the reflection version.

Florida Glades would be amazing as well!

#35 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

You may prefer not to take the FPS hit for reflections, but don't forget this patch also gives a very useful FPS boost for SLI users.

#36 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:34 PM

lmao..... it is always great to have options. Also applaud any 3rd party for putting time and effort into a fix or supplement for the community. The reflection aspect part of all this hooplah almost never comes into play in the real world because you'd have to have a dead calm wind. good luck getting that at saw grass maybe for an hour or so at dawn..... So in conclusion kudos to tamuchan for putting in effort where i did not think it was worth it...

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#37 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

So in conclusion kudos to tamuchan for putting in effort 

Agreed - Thank you to tamuchan

I really love the patch and the options and the performance boost even for non R usage.

#38 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

Found another issue with this patch. The golfer is no longer visible when changing clothing.

#39 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

Found another issue with this patch. The golfer is no longer visible when changing clothing.

I'm surprised you even bother doing that given the unbelievably limited options we have..

#40 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

I'm surprised you even bother doing that given the unbelievably limited options we have..

We rarely do, but me and my brother play alt shot against AI players. We alternate between different AI as well, and since we have now started playing alt shot hazard golf we have a problem. The stupid black results window in this mode cannot be skipped and blocks the player's shirt on the tee, confusing us as to which player is playing sometimes... thus the need to change trousers or caps on a couple of them to make it more obvious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users