Photo

What does everyone think of the ball physics in PG?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 androooo

androooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

The half shot spin is a very difficult thing to calculate, as in real life, it really depends on the lie.

If I have a really tight lie where I can make perfect contact, the ball will launch lower, however will carry more spin. Even opening the clubface, you will still get the lower launch but more spin. It's caused by the soft urethane cover on today's ball being pinched against the clubface and causing friction.

Fluffy lies make the ball slide up the face... Causing a higher initial launch and less backspin.

On my launch monitor at work, I can generate spin rates of 13000 rpm with my 60* wedge, because I can get a PERFECTLY clean contact off the mat. 

Outside, on our usual bent/poa grasses, I can only generate 8000-9000 rpm on the same shot, because I can't get that perfectly clean contact, as the grass grows "up" and gets between the clubface and ball, and "lubricates" the strike.

On a super tight cooch/bermuda lie the spin goes back up, but still not as high as the shots off the mat.

I think this is a particular shot that is going to be very difficult to simulate 100%

#42 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

This is a hybrid, uh, this is a cross between, bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent,

and northern California sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is that you can play 36 holes

on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-(belt) that night on this stuff.

• androooo likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users