#2 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:54 AM

No one and I mean no one has been able to come close to the mass appeal of Tiger since 2009. And until that happens Tiger will be the biggest draw in golf.

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:44 PM

meh!

I count six people following him, all the others behind the ropes are standing still, presumably to observe the last green somewhere on the back left out of shot, after Tiger just finished it. Gonna have to call fake news on this pic, sorry. Or perhaps you just saw what you wanted to see? Another case of wishing hard defeating sober observation. Facts don't matter anymore, nowadays...

But so nice of you guys to worry about golf. Really, in what sorry state would golf be without your constant, caring superintendence? (Just gainsaying for the sake of it, fellas, make nothing of it). But what of Tiger? Methinks that if golf truly needs him, golf is too dependent on him and therefore must be doing something wrong. In economic terms this is known as a 'cluster risk' (as in: Don't put all your eggs in just one basket) - and it's something you'd want to avoid. As long as Tiger traipses around the courses, he'll more likely hurt golf by casting a shadow over others, who are long due to take up his baton. So, no: Not good for golf, not in the long term.

• Sliceapottomus and GoldenBear like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

Gonna have to call fake news on this pic, sorry. Or perhaps you just saw what you wanted to see?

I didn't make any assertions or claims about the picture other than it speaks for itself in showing how there are crowds for Tiger everywhere he goes.
This was widely reported by many at the event.

I count six people following him, all the others behind the ropes are standing still, presumably to observe the last green somewhere on the back left out of shot, after Tiger just finished it.

The people walking behind him are credentialed  - everyone else is as close as they can be (in this pic anyhow)

The journalists at the event were commenting constantly about the crowds for Tiger all over (as usual).  
Ratings bear this out time after time for events with vs without Tiger anyways.  Not a new story. 

I'd be surprised if anyone smart in and around golf, especially the players, wants Tiger to go away or stop casting a shadow.  His popularity is good for everyone involved.

Literally every golfer on tour owes him millions upon millions, either personally, or simply trickle down, from the way he and his popularity EXPLODED the entire sport and purses and sponsorships, and on and on.

Golf was essentially a niche nothing before Tiger and might just be that after him honestly.
Phenoms are like that.

Anyone wanting him to "go away so others can take over the mantle" doesn't understand what happened the last 20 years.
Tiger is mainstream popular - not golf or other golfers.
  • SJude likes this

#5 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

The last thing the game of golf ever needed was arrogant and cheating on his wife Tiger Woods!  He was the reason I stopped watching the PGA.  I could not take his horrible demeanor on the links.

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

The last thing the game of golf ever needed was arrogant and cheating on his wife Tiger Woods!  He was the reason I stopped watching the PGA.

I have some bad news for you about many many pro golfers over the years

BTW:  Why are you worried about what a Pro Golfer does in his personal life?

Do you worry about this with your doctor?  

The pilot flying the plane you're on?  

Broadcasters you're watching and listening to?

What about the checkout person helping you at the store?

How about your local politicians?

Other sports figures?

Do you hold everyone to your own personal standards?

With everyone in life, there is often a WILD amount of stuff going on in their personal lives - much of it disagreeable or just different from our own personal preference - and most all of it transparent and unknown to us.

Be careful being so judgmental with such incomplete information.

It's best to leave their lives to them and worry about our own and just enjoy their provided services, entertainment, as much as possible.

• Perculator and SJude like this

#7 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

I admit it.... I'm not nearly as interested in events that he's not in. They might as well be web.com tour events. When he gets on a roll, I stil get excited. And I'm not really sure why.... by all accounts he's still a colossal douche.

I dunno.... I guess cause so many of the other players are invisible, anonymous clones straight out of the Bushwood CC Judge Smails WASP catalog.

• DivotMaker likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

I admit it.... I'm not nearly as interested in events that he's not in. They might as well be web.com tour events. When he gets on a roll, I stil get excited..

Right there with you on this point...

#9 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:47 AM

They need to allow PvP sledging.

#10 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:11 AM

When he's on it, it's exciting. He still has the shots, he still has the length, he still has the short game, he can still putt (sometimes) Once he wins one he'll start to win a lot and pretty much everyone right now thinks that him winning is just a matter of time.

The players like it when he's in a tournament, there is a buzz that's not there when he he's not playing. He's perhaps the best player the game of golf has ever seen. If that's not worth watching I don't know what is.

• cajuncapgun and DivotMaker like this

#11 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

Remember when TW was once touted as a possible candidate for president? Stranger things have happened since...

#12 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

I have some bad news for you about many many pro golfers over the years

BTW:  Why are you worried about what a Pro Golfer does in his personal life?

Do you worry about this with your doctor?  

The pilot flying the plane you're on?  

Broadcasters you're watching and listening to?

What about the checkout person helping you at the store?

How about your local politicians?

Other sports figures?

Do you hold everyone to your own personal standards?

With everyone in life, there is often a WILD amount of stuff going on in their personal lives - much of it disagreeable or just different from our own personal preference - and most all of it transparent and unknown to us.

Be careful being so judgmental with such incomplete information.

It's best to leave their lives to them and worry about our own and just enjoy their provided services, entertainment, as much as possible.

Seriously?  Next you will tell me that rap and hip hop have value.  Unlike the masses these days I am old school and care far more about a person's demeanor than their skills playing a silly game.  Tiger fails drastically in this department.  He has thrown temper tantrums on the course and has spit on the course in anger(no one in PGA before him has).  He has walked off the course without shaking the winner's hand when he has lost.  Even when he supposedly apologized through crocodile tears with a PR WRITTEN SPEECH he was revolting.  Tiger was not sorry for cheating, he was sorry he got caught.  Utterly unacceptable actions that no amount of skills can cover its shame.  Instead of being idolized (no man or women should ever be as it is evil) he should have been ostracised.  This is all I have to say to you Buck on this horrible man.  

#13 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

When he's on it, it's exciting. He still has the shots, he still has the length, he still has the short game, he can still putt (sometimes) Once he wins one he'll start to win a lot and pretty much everyone right now thinks that him winning is just a matter of time.

The players like it when he's in a tournament, there is a buzz that's not there when he he's not playing. He's perhaps the best player the game of golf has ever seen. If that's not worth watching I don't know what is.

Completely agree with all of this.

That "buzz" the players notice is the same thing we viewers can feel I think.

Just in the coverage and lead up and even advertising for events both before and during, you can just tell that the whole golf world, from broadcasting on down, is more excited and engaged when Tiger is out there and "in it".

I'm enjoying the entire ride and his comeback efforts as this is a one in a VERY long time talent and phenom, especially in the golf world.

It's a different time in said players career, but there are some parallels to LeBron in the NBA actually.

• DivotMaker likes this

#14 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

Seriously?  Next you will tell me that rap and hip hop have value.  Unlike the masses these days I am old school and care far more about a person's demeanor than their skills playing a silly game.  Tiger fails drastically in this department.  He has thrown temper tantrums on the course and has spit on the course in anger(no one in PGA before him has).  He has walked off the course without shaking the winner's hand when he has lost.  Even when he supposedly apologized through crocodile tears with a PR WRITTEN SPEECH he was revolting.  Tiger was not sorry for cheating, he was sorry he got caught.  Utterly unacceptable actions that no amount of skills can cover its shame.  Instead of being idolized (no man or women should ever be as it is evil) he should have been ostracised.  This is all I have to say to you Buck on this horrible man.  

LOL!

"Value" is subjective in some ways and not subjective at all in other ways.  There are rappers and hip hop artist out there that will make more money tomorrow morning from 6am to 7am than you'll make in a life time.  There's no arguing that they have created value because they can count it in their bank account.  They don't need your self righteous approval and pulpit stomping antics to determine what value they have created.  Trust me.  Supply and demand don't lie.

Tiger is no different.

• cajuncapgun, DivotMaker and Perculator like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

Well said Mebby

I am very excited for the couple years ahead here to see what Tiger can do
  • DivotMaker likes this

#16 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:02 AM

"Value" is subjective in some ways and not subjective at all in other ways.  There are rappers and hip hop artist out there that will make more money tomorrow morning from 6am to 7am than you'll make in a life time.  There's no arguing that they have created value because they can count it in their bank account.

No.  They haven't created value, they've created income.  Most of them have also proven that people, if given the choice between listening/watching rubbish and listening/watching nothing, they'll choose the rubbish.  That's why Marvel have made 20 films in ten years, and Kanye West is known.

• IanK and GoldenBear like this

#17 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:33 AM

No. They haven't created value, they've created income. Most of them have also proven that people, if given the choice between listening/watching rubbish and listening/watching nothing, they'll choose the rubbish. That's why Marvel have made 20 films in ten years, and Kanye West is known.

The fact that somebody was willing to pay them means there’s value there somewhere in the chain. There’s no theft or con going on. They’re getting paid for creating value for someone or some audience.

The same can be said of other forms of entertainment you are subjectivly referring to as “rubbish”.

Just because you don’t care for it doesn’t mean nobody else does.

#18 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:52 AM

The fact that somebody was willing to pay them means there’s value there somewhere in the chain. There’s no theft or con going on. They’re getting paid for creating value for someone or some audience.
The same can be said of other forms of entertainment you are subjectivly referring to as “rubbish”.
Just because you don’t care for it doesn’t mean nobody else does.

Yep. Agree completely. Unless they are literally stealing or forceably taking the money then value has been created.

Do you fork over your money for entertainment that you don't like?? LOL!!

You guys really appear to have a warped and self absorbed view of the world. There are tons of things that other people like that I don't. But that doesn't mean that there is no value in it just because I don't personally like it!

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#19 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:00 AM

The fact that somebody was willing to pay them means there’s value there somewhere in the chain.

Maybe.  Or, as I said, people are just bored and will give money away as long as there are lights and sounds on the screen.

There are tons of things that other people like that I don't. But that doesn't mean that there is no value in it just because I don't personally like it!

A nice way of looking at it, but when things have never been worse (I'm talking cinema specifically) surely there will be a point when, after every single comic book and YA novel has been strip-mined, the masses will say 'enough is enough.'  Or maybe not.  I probably won't see it happen in my lifetime.

How did we get here from Tiger?  Something about who a person is vs what they provide in entertainment?  In televised sport I think their personalities come into it.  In Australia we finally got sick of watching our cheating, bullying cricket team and sacked some players.  From that perspective, I don't enjoy watching Tiger as much as I used to.  Affairs happen, but he had a rotating roster.  And he should've been disqualified from the Masters for that dodgy drop.  Once a certain number of scandals build up, it's hard to see the player behind them.

Even if he does start winning again it's not going to lift golf back to where it was in his prime.  It'll just be a foot note to a brilliant, tarnished career.

• GoldenBear likes this

#20 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:29 AM

Affairs happen, but he had a rotating roster.  

As I said above to Mark - Careful with judging on such criteria.

There are plenty of birdies who've talked about many golfers, some very well known, with their "rotating rosters" of ladies over the years.

For me - That particular behavior simply isn't relevant.

If there is domestic violence or something that's one thing (and a for sure dealbreaker for me), but where and with who people are shacking up..?

Man - that's just way too big of a rabbit hole to go down, for me, to decide if I can enjoy watching a player play his sport.

I'm not trying to select new best friends or family members here - simply enjoy them at their professional craft.

But to each our own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users