#121 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:40 AM

My course is complete and will be called The Aces Club. I'm just having it privately beta tested for a few days before I submit it.

• slewin likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#122 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

The story so far...

The holes, the bloody strange holes yells Maria. The main produce shed was alive with the smell of slightly rotting produce and the incessant buzz of a ceiling fan. Its hot in outer Melbourne in January 1973 and the Propreitor’s wife doesn't wear the heat well, nor does Richard the loyal customer that has stood at this cash machine and listened to Maria tell her stories countless times. Today its a new story and Richard is leaning in.
"What do the holes look like Maria?"
"Well they are not natural and bloody Roberto has more than once had the old Massey Ferguson towed out"
"Maria" Richard asked slightly embarrassed.
"Do you mind if I take a look?"
As soon as Richard asks Roberto comes walking in with the usual entourage of rat pack dogs and a bag of eggs.
"Roberto you silly old bugger" yells Maria.
"Take Richard up to the the back block and show him your bloody holes"
Roberto waves Richard on and heads off with his bad leg expecting Richard to keep up as they climb under and over fences until he stops at the first of many mysterious depressions. You see Roberto doesn't play golf, in fact he stopped any having any interest in sport after Italy lost the World Cup in 1970. Richard on the other hand frequents this area of Melbourne because of the Sandbelt. Yes the Sandbelt, that great stretch of sand and grass that encompasses more great golf courses per square mile than anywhere else on the planet.
"Roberto who sold you this block?"
"He was bankrupt" Yelled Roberto. "I got it for a song"
Richard squints into the hot afternoon sun.
“Look at the bloody things” mourns Roberto.
“Who would dig such strange holes?”
Who indeed...

“I think I found the lost Mckenzie short course” mumbles Richard sheepishly in the dark corner of the club dressing room.
"Don't be a fool Richard thats and just a story" spurts one of the members.

"No no gentleman it exists and I've seen it with my very eyes"

To be continued.....
  • Mike Jones, Kablammo11, highfade and 2 others like this

#123 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

I do have a back story for the Rattler as well, something to do with an old Hopi prophecy... better not tell it now, it could not possibly hold the water to exquisite hadron colliders and enforced golf as an energy source and the above adorable, historic sand belt re-enactment. Instead, class and non-designing guests, do mull over the commonalities between course design and story-telling and hand in your essay tomorrow morning. 500 words at least, as usual.

Love this thread!

A few pixies...

GD4XA4n.jpg

DOE640G.jpg

ATISc59.jpg

• Mike Jones, highfade and DPRoberts like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#124 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

Great stuff guys - just a word of caution about very penal bunkers. As the courses will also hopefully be suitable for less skilled players too from forward tees to easier pins, I would try and steer away from the use of very severe bunkers as a poor unfortunate victim who falls foul of your evil machinations might be tempted to destroy his club and quit the game completely! We don't want people to get 'Nakajimad'  :lol:

#125 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

Beta testing begins on the Orbs tonight!

It'll be myself, my wife, my 10 year old son, and my 8 year old daughter in the sim room. So, all skill levels.

Even my daughter likes to try and splash over the pot walls but after a few swings knows to head out the back.

Most of my forward tees are in line with green without a forced carry as well.

There is a double edge sword to the pot. It is usually a penalty to hit into and that's what I think a bunker should be. The downside is that it can occasionally be so challenging as to ruin a great round from one bad swing.

Us Americans have made bunkers a joke. So much so that pros intentionally hit into them for an easier approach on par 5s. Or, complain when the sand consistency isn't to their liking.
  • Mike Jones likes this

#126 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

Mr. and Mrs. Divot lived for golf; they were married on a golf course,

and their house sat on a hill overlooking a golf course. Their son was

born and delivered by Dr. Wedge, who just happened to be in the

threesome when Mrs. Divot went into labor trying to exit a large

pot bunker. They named him Niblick, and just knew that he would 

grow to love golf as much as them. 

Mr. Divot made Niblick Divot his very own set of clubs, and gave them

to him the very first day he walked. They taught him how to putt, how to chip,

and how to drive the little feathery balls, and Niblick  was always ready to play.

After a few years Mr. Divot made a longer set of clubs for the growing

boy, but Niblick didn't want to use them, he liked his first set of clubs, and said

he didn't mind bending over a little. As a teenager Niblick still refused to use 

the correct clubs for his height and arm length, and you could see him doubled

over on the tee trying to hit his ball with a foot long mashie.  

The years passed, and the hunched over Niblick Divot never switched clubs and

is resigned to playing only Putt-Putt and Par 3 courses for the rest of his days.

• Mike Jones and DPRoberts like this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#127 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

Beta testing begins on the Orbs tonight!

It'll be myself, my wife, my 10 year old son, and my 8 year old daughter in the sim room. So, all skill levels.

Even my daughter likes to try and splash over the pot walls but after a few swings knows to head out the back.

Most of my forward tees are in line with green without a forced carry as well.

There is a double edge sword to the pot. It is usually a penalty to hit into and that's what I think a bunker should be. The downside is that it can occasionally be so challenging as to ruin a great round from one bad swing.

Us Americans have made bunkers a joke. So much so that pros intentionally hit into them for an easier approach on par 5s. Or, complain when the sand consistency isn't to their liking.

Too much pot can be a bad thing or so they say. If you are going to use them I would suggest they are on the shallower side. 

• DPRoberts likes this

#128 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

Oh boy you guys are fast. I'm still laying out my 7th hole and will start tweaking slopes this weekend. Hope to post a pic soon.

• RobC likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#129 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

Too much pot can be a bad thing or so they say. If you are going to use them I would suggest they are on the shallower side.

There's no such thing as too much pot....oh, we're talking about bunkers.

#130 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

There's no such thing as too much pot....

So true - Only real problem can be "not enough"  :)

#131 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

Since my post is right above Mike's pot warning, and shows 3 of them, I suppose I am the intended recipient of his caution.

Caution received. What was I thinking? Must mend my ways! I will immediately make all greens three times as large, remove all bunkers, drain all water bodies, level all hills and mountains, shorten all holes to 20 feet or less, put anti-bacterial hand wipes on every tee and hire a rapid-intervention squad of extra-fluffy care bears to offer immediate comfort to all players suffering the undeserved atrocity of having to face the consequences of their own bad golf shots. Oh, and I will make each par 3 a par 6 hole, so that there will be albatrosses and eagles galore! That ought to increase the fun factor.

Any more suggestions about making a golf course less challenging and less realistic? Please, do let me know.

Hm, excavate funnels into the green to make sure all balls within 5 feet gently roll down into the hole? Lo-o-o-ove it: That's another million gallons of tears not needing to be wept in this universe! 

• Mike Jones, DPRoberts and Jesus Jones like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#132 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:41 PM

If the Spacebar could just launch the ball dead straight to an exact distance, we could be done with all the real time threads as well.
  • cajuncapgun likes this

#133 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

I thought I'd repressed that entire movie from my memory.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#134 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

at least you guys are getting help and advice from mike before you send your courses.to late for me to make changes already send.

thanks mike.

#135 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:35 PM

#136 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:47 PM

I believe it has been said that you can submit multiple entries and the due date is August 31st. So, I'm sure you could resubmit or change your entry if you really wished.

Just a recommendation though, produce something YOU are happy with and think people will enjoy.

Additionally, the method of judging these courses has not been mentioned. So, no need to stress. Based on the initial rules, the ability for multiple skill levels to play is a suggestion but not required.

From the entry requirements - "Not all courses need to be suitable for all skills levels of golfers ie: ‘Beginners’ courses or courses suitable for medium to advanced players are all welcome. However, courses that are designed well enough to cater to a wide variety of players will be preferred by the judging panel. This can be accomplished by the clever use of tee lengths and angles to the green"

#137 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

I believe it has been said that you can submit multiple entries and the due date is August 31st. So, I'm sure you could resubmit or change your entry if you really wished.

Just a recommendation though, produce something YOU are happy with and think people will enjoy.

Additionally, the method of judging these courses has not been mentioned. So, no need to stress. Based on the initial rules, the ability for multiple skill levels to play is a suggestion but not required.

From the entry requirements - "Not all courses need to be suitable for all skills levels of golfers ie: ‘Beginners’ courses or courses suitable for medium to advanced players are all welcome. However, courses that are designed well enough to cater to a wide variety of players will be preferred by the judging panel. This can be accomplished by the clever use of tee lengths and angles to the green"

o wow dp.i am happy with what i have.mike has had my course for a week. boy have you mist the point i was making. come on man really.

#138 shanker01

shanker01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

Hi I did not mean to harm with my comment, it is just what I like, that is all. The fantasy courses will be great and many people will enjoy then so do not think for a minute your course will not be well received!

stock 7700k intel cpu

gtx 1070 gpu

liquid cooled

250 ssd drive and 1 terabyte hard drive

32 omen q monitor

#139 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

Yes, Hilton, I guess I did. I thought you were giving Mike a hard time for providing a suggestion.

Shanker01, I'm totally cool with your comments. I love realism as well. I could submit 2 entries if I really wanted and had the time.

I'm creating something that I've never seen done before with PG. It has been a joy to put together. It is also something that will be a blast to play with my family on the simulator. That was my goal.

FWIW, I enjoy critiques. It's the path to getting better. I'm my own worst critic as well so I've got thick skin.

#140 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:45 PM

at least you guys are getting help and advice from mike before you send your courses.to late for me to make changes already send.

thanks mike.

the pots are most properly aimed at me.if you are receiving and viewing these courses mike dont you think you should stay out of it?

I haven't had time to look at your course yet Hilton so no it wasn't aimed at you in particular at all, it was just a general comment as many of the previews in here were showing pot bunkers which are not friendly for all skill levels. There is nothing to stop you revising your course if you feel you want to, if you're already happy with it then that's fine too.

As for commenting and giving guidance to people, of course that's what I'm going to do if people post previews. I think anything less would be a dereliction of my CF duty! There are a zillion talent contests on TV over the last few decades and I can't imagine what they would be like if the judges didn't try and give constructive feedback to the contestants. It's more fun, more entertaining and ultimately better for everyone.

• DPRoberts likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users