25 replies to this topic

#1 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

Why would it be that when I paint my on my LIDAR surface it doesn't save the painting I did.  Example: if I try to blend the simi-rough areas of the course by painting in a texture at the edge of the spline, Unity doesn't save the painted texture.  The next time I open the file, the painted areas are back to the original lidar.jpg.

It makes sense to me that you need to be careful here because if you paint over something you need to see, you wont be able to see it. That said, it seems like you should be able to do this?  What am I missing?

EDIT:  its not just painting its also changes to terrain.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#2 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

Something sounds wrong.  Is there more than one terrain in your hierarchy?

#3 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

Only one "terrain" in hierarchy.

If I render the build before closing Unity, all the edits are captured, but when I close and re-open, they are gone.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Could be you are making the changes in play mode - no changes are saved if your game window is active.

#5 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

Or maybe not saving the project before closing Unity?

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#6 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

Could be you are making the changes in play mode - no changes are saved if your game window is active.

Well, I did make that mistake once before :(

But I don't think that is the issue now.  It might have something to do with working in the custom layers library, but even that doesn't make sense to me.

The LIDAR overlay does show signs of edits, but they don't look like they did when I created them.  The textures that are showing in the pic below are some new textures I got from the asset store, but it appears that the textures originally provided in CF are not working.  I doubled checked and I am running 5.2.3f1. 

To add to that, the terrain editing tools do not work either.  Well, they seem to work until you try to save and close Unity.  The edits are gone when you open it back up.

One curious note...  I do have one painted texture that I put down early in the project that seems to be fine.

i-drNWch9-X3.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#7 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Can you show us a picture of your terrain texture inspector? BTW don't attach a sound source to the terrain file.

#8 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:52 PM

Can you show us a picture of your terrain texture inspector? BTW don't attach a sound source to the terrain file.

Mike,

So this LIDAR was given to me and I didn't move the sound source.  I guess I can attach it to any other asset, but not the terrain?  Or is there  a prefered place?

Here is the pic.  The painted area around the house appears to be staying in place, but not anywhere else?

Let me know if I didn't get the correct screen (maybe you want an inspector shot of the overlay jpg?):

i-TcM8gWF-X4.jpg

Thanks for the help.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#9 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

In this pic, the black area and everything around the large square tee box had been painted.  The area to the left of the black area was painted early in the project and appears to have stayed mostly intact.  Not sure whats up with the black spot.  It was green when I painted it.

i-CJhKCXm-X4.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#10 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:25 PM

OK... I have more info. I think somehow I messed up the textures that are used to paint with???

There are three circles in the pic below.

Far left:  no problems when I made this one - saved and exited

Middle - re-oppened unity without problem, then made the middle one - saved and exited

Far right - re-opened unity (2 circles still there) and tried to make a third circle with a different texture and got this message:

That said, all three circles where there after ctrl-alt-delete to get out of unity and then re-enter.

i-VcRbjMk-X3.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#11 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

For one thing you can only have a max of 14 textures, I count 27.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#12 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:36 PM

For one thing you can only have a max of 14 textures, I count 27.

Seems to me I remember reading that.  I guess I got lucky on Bradford Links then because I had over 20 available.  Maybe I didn't use more than 14 though. Not sure.

Hmmmm, gonna do an experiment...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#13 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

It may depend on the texture size and could be a few more or less.

At a 1024 tex size it's 14 for me.

#14 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Also, If you paint a portion of terrain and decide it was a mistake,

just choose your terrain texture, (first texture), and paint over your mistake.

#15 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:53 PM

I going down this path of having too many textures...

I want to get rid off all the textures I've added and go back to the original CF textures only.  The problem is, I don't member what those were.  Is there an easy way to get back to having only the original textures?

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#16 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:01 PM

It appears that your first 11 textures are original, including the first terrain texture.

They are added in the order that you added them, so just delete the others by selecting

Edit Textures/Delete if you wish. Of course this will remove them from the terrain, and 

will result in a blank white texture that can be re-painted with the terrain tex or another.

#17 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:20 PM

It appears that your first 11 textures are original, including the first terrain texture.

They are added in the order that you added them, so just delete the others by selecting

Edit Textures/Delete if you wish. Of course this will remove them from the terrain, and 

will result in a blank white texture that can be re-painted with the terrain tex or another.

Well, things seem more normal now,  I deleted all but the original textures and the black spot disappeared (showing original terrain).  I then painted a few spots and dug a small trench to test that out.  After saving both items were still there when I re-opened unity.

Maybe it was too many textures?  Why would that mess with the terrain tools?  I dunno... gonna do some more edits and see what happens.  

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#18 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

NoPutt, thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread.  After multiple saves and renders everything appears to be working as it should.

I had too many textures loaded.  I had more than 14 on Bradford, so I thought that was OK in my current prokect, but it wasn't.

I would really like to load one more texture, so I might mess around with texture size and see what happens.

Anyway, thanks.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#19 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

You can load textures in quantities of 4 without detriment. So, if 14 is working, you are safe to go to 16. I try to stay at 12 for whatever reason.

(Technical mumbo jumbo) Each painting map is a RGBA file. Meaning 4 textures are referenced in a single image. Using 16 textures, Unity is generating 4 splat maps to create the terrain painting you are doing. 13 textures is the equivalent to 16 in terms of CPU/memory usage/file size.

#20 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

You are welcome, although it was Mike that requested your Terrain Textures pic,

after I saw that I knew it was too much. 

Thanks for the mumbo jumbo DP, makes sense now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users