NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:48 PM

http://www.3dgolfdes...m/creative.html

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:50 PM

https://az58332.vo.m...-1533497314.jpg

#3 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:30 PM

http://www.3dgolfdes...m/creative.html

Wow, based on those screenies, sadly, I'd say we've gone backwards in terms of realistic appearance of these courses...I'm just a noob when it comes to PC golf, going to have to load Links 2003 up and see what it is all about.

Reading that page, I sense Mike and his 3D team were also selling courses? Is that correct?

Kind of funny that would be disallowed with PG EULA...
  • Buck likes this

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:12 AM

Wow, based on those screenies, sadly, I'd say we've gone backwards in terms of realistic appearance of these courses...I'm just a noob when it comes to PC golf, going to have to load Links 2003 up and see what it is all about.

Reading that page, I sense Mike and his 3D team were also selling courses? Is that correct?

Kind of funny that would be disallowed with PG EULA...

Was just me back then DP.

I remember having a conversation with Chris Jones who back then was head of the Links game Studio discussing the possibility of easing the EULA for Links 2003 so we could sell courses and that's what transpired. Links 2001 was pretty much like PG in that it was for non commercial use only. Links 2003 was last in the line so it's easy to draw conclusions to why that was...

I had a lot of fun with Links and APCD but at the end of the day it was a static environment with 2d cutout trees. I wouldn't swap what we have in PG2 for that. 

• Tresclub, NoPutt, DPRoberts and 1 other like this

#5 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:36 AM

Regardless, your work is incredible on those courses! Will be a nice place to visit for inspiration now and again. Hoping you can translate some of that bunker magic into PG2. 

It's more about what happens down the face. Dr Rob tried to bring it to life with splatmap painting of meshes. How were you producing what I'm seeing with some of your more rustic courses in Links?

Additionally, there is a softness about the appearance that I hope travels into PG2 as well. Mika and Highfade seem to be able to capture some of it in their designs. But, I think some of the harsh lines I see in PG are a product of the Unity 5.2.3 environment.

• Charles likes this

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:46 AM

Mike,

You captured something magical there...

OAVfysR.png

Just beautiful!

• Tresclub, gravedodger, balaceanca81 and 5 others like this

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:23 AM

Some of those bunkers are innnnncredible
  • Charles likes this

#8 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:37 AM

2003 was (and still is) incredible but the amount of required time to be invested in creating something like that was just brutal.... months on end, sometimes years.

For the REALLY old school guys, check out this:

http://www.silvernai...gn.com/golf.htm

I can't believe that's still up there..... and there's a link to my old page that I haven't updated since about 2001, lol.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:54 AM

What ever happened to B Silvernail?

#10 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:57 AM

I wouldn't swap what we have in PG2 for that.

Except "we" don't have PG2. 😁
  • erwildcat and Buck like this
Ken

#11 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:48 AM

Mike,

You captured something magical there...

OAVfysR.png

Just beautiful!

If you like that you might find this blog interesting.

http://3dgolfdesign....1&by-date=false

• Tresclub and DPRoberts like this

#12 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

If you like that you might find this blog interesting.t

Thanks for posting this Mike. Great read! I printed it out for keeps. What you have done (and still are doing) is just fabulous. In Links you set the benchmark in coursedesign. And now -again- you are lifting the bar to even higher hights. Very impressive. Thanks for all you (and the team) are doing for us. We PC-golfers are very fortunate indeed.

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#13 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:50 AM

What ever happened to B Silvernail?

He's still around. I gather he even dabbled in JNPG? I remember Brian from my JN6-GBC days were he was the King of the hill and had the same status in that game, as Mike would later have in Links and now JNPG. Brian was almost untouchable in his course creations back then.

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#14 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:23 AM

I tell this story a lot, but Brian's website is what got me on this whole train in the first place. Rolling Evergreen!

• DPRoberts likes this

#15 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

Didn't Brian design a hole using CF for that new course that is/was being built and his hole is going to be part of the course?

IMO, MJ set the standard in Links 2003 with his hi-res designs and then folks like Wayne Hewitt and Dr Rob followed suit.

I holdout hope for 2 things.

1. We do get to play and design in PG2 at some point this century.
2. MJ finds time to recreate courses like Las Joyas, Burns' Old Links, Pilgrim Trails, Royal Kenya, Cara Brae, Rugged Dune etc. in PG2.

One can dare to dream. In the meantime back to GTS and FH4.
  • Tresclub and Keith like this

#16 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:14 PM

Didn't Brian design a hole using CF for that new course that is/was being built and his hole is going to be part of the course?

IMO, MJ set the standard in Links 2003 with his hi-res designs and then folks like Wayne Hewitt and Dr Rob followed suit.

I holdout hope for 2 things.

1. We do get to play and design in PG2 at some point this century.
2. MJ finds time to recreate courses like Las Joyas, Burns' Old Links, Pilgrim Trails, Royal Kenya, Cara Brae, Rugged Dune etc. in PG2.

One can dare to dream. In the meantime back to GTS and FH4.

I still have all the unlocked APCD files so maybe it'll happen at some point. 

• Dazmaniac, JoeF, Unique and 4 others like this

#17 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

I still have all the unlocked APCD files so maybe it'll happen at some point. 

If PG2 becomes a reality at some point for the PC, this would be a real treat. I purchased most of Mike's courses for Links 2003 and for those who did not play Links his fictional courses were simply outstanding.

Hope this becomes a reality in the future.

Ken

#18 RBarley

RBarley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationEastern Pennsylvania

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

Spoke to Brian Silvernail a few years ago on the phone and I e-mail him from time to time. I don't think he's doing much in computer golf, but always willing to help out when he can. I've asked him for some JN6-GBC and he filled my request. I seem to remember he won some contest using PG to design a hole.

#19 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:20 PM

Brian's hole is on the second course at Sand Valley, I think it might be #14.

• Dazmaniac likes this

#20 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:35 PM

That was it Matt.

Here was the thread MJ posted ages back..........

http://www.perfectpa...award/?p=113438

This was Brian's hole design...

2016-Armchair-Architect-Winning-Entry-Br

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users