#1 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:49 AM

Any ideas as to how to or best practice to do this.

I have a slightly deeper than normal bunker lip but when planting grass the roots are too deep and you only see the top halve of the grass. Swaying in the wind also looks stupid? 

Example:

cboImHT.jpg

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

I don't know how to do it and make the grass sway or act like a billboard if that's what you want.

You can make a quad a prefab with the grass texture on it and use the Mobile shader for Particles and choose Alpha Blended for a double sided shader.

However, we would need someone to write a custom shader if you want a swaying double sided shader and camera facing.

This is something I've wanted for a long time but have zero coding experience. I'm guessing Shimonko could turn something out for us pretty easily by looking at the wavinggrass shader I came across in the Grass Roots Activism thread.

I use a prefab planter to then place on mesh. It does random scale and rotations. I believe it was free. I'll post it later if that's the case.

#3 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:38 AM

Thanks DP, I was hoping you'll show up. :)

I'm not too worried about to have the swaying, it just looks odd if it sways with the pivot point way below the mesh.

I tried to place a grass texture on a group of quads at different angles (from a tutorial) but it looked a mess and I couldn't add it to tree planting in Unity.  But thanks, any help is appreciated.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

Maybe an overly simple idea, but have you tried adjusting the specific billboard grass textures to have more alpha space below the grass?  This would have the effect of moving the grass upwards and might make them look more natural sitting on the mesh rather than below.  Something like this: 

uANY1ho.jpg

I scaled the grass within the image to ensure it wouldn't touch the borders, so some scale adjusting within Unity while planting would be needed.  

With some experimenting you can find the exact amount of space to match your added mesh height.  

Just a thought. 

I would be curious to hear more about DP's prefab planter as well.  I use Easy Scatter occasionally.  

• DPRoberts likes this

#5 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:01 PM

A quick test.  Sorry for the ugly picture.   

With enough fiddling I think you can approximate the mesh height with the grass.   A comparison of a regular grass texture and an edited texture on a raised mesh height.    

Xfl856g.jpg

vEygRBo.jpg

• highfade likes this

#6 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

Yes thanks, I will try that next. It will still be a bit weird when swaying in the wind but will have to test.

#7 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Yes I realize this only addresses the placement issue, not the swaying. I’ll let the experts will weigh in on more sophisticated techniques.

Good luck!

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:34 PM

Try this. It can be a bit confusing but It's all in the naming of that "island bunker".

http://www.perfectpa...in/#entry125231

• highfade likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#9 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

Bortimus's idea is a nice quick fix and keeps the animation intact if you want that.

I can post better info later after work but I'm using the Prefab Brush by Jordan Ellis. It's a touch fussy but works. Watch the video on how to use. It actually has a bit more functionality than initial appearance.

It will plant your prefab on the mesh in a painterly way. Now, you will not have LOD because it's an object. Not sure if that matters but might if you use this a lot in your course. (I would say if planting less than 20,000 this way LOD not worth it)

You can set up an LOD group. I've done that and assign the prefab to LOD 0 and LOD 1 and a Cull at 2-3 percent.

After using the prefab brush, since they are Objects, you can alter them (scale, rotate, move) then manually if needed.

#10 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:13 PM

The key to having plants not go below the bunker island  is to rename the outer bunker but don't use the word bunker, do the same with the inner bunker.

However when you land in it you won't have the splash option because it doesn't see it as a bunker.

• highfade and DPRoberts like this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:29 PM

Of course this grass was merely for show. ;)

rwIDosO.png

• highfade likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#12 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

Bortimus's idea is a nice quick fix and keeps the animation intact if you want that.

I can post better info later after work but I'm using the Prefab Brush by Jordan Ellis. It's a touch fussy but works. Watch the video on how to use. It actually has a bit more functionality than initial appearance.

It will plant your prefab on the mesh in a painterly way. Now, you will not have LOD because it's an object. Not sure if that matters but might if you use this a lot in your course. (I would say if planting less than 20,000 this way LOD not worth it)

You can set up an LOD group. I've done that and assign the prefab to LOD 0 and LOD 1 and a Cull at 2-3 percent.

After using the prefab brush, since they are Objects, you can alter them (scale, rotate, move) then manually if needed.

Thanks DP. 

I've watched the video and it looks handy. Will it work as I see it now supports 5.6.1 or higher?  I still need to work out how to make a grass prefab an easy way.  I use Gimp and find Blender intimidating and confusing.  I guess once you have a decent prefab with LODs you can just copy it and drag your own different grass textures onto it.

#13 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:55 PM

The key to having plants not go below the bunker island is to rename the outer bunker but don't use the word bunker, do the same with the inner bunker.

However when you land in it you won't have the splash option because it doesn't see it as a bunker.

Hey axe, I believe the physics material is what triggers the shot options and club/ground animations, not the name of the layer.

As long as “sand” is the assigned material, any layer can play as sand (except for greens I think)
I don’t think the name “bunker” has anything to do with the playability of the mesh.

#14 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#15 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

The top right “mesh shape” ( poorly named in my opinion)
That is the physics material assigned to that layer

The shot types and divot animations are tied to that material.

#16 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#17 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

Oh ok I get it, when you're close enough to the green,  it will give you the splash shot. My bad. Thanks for the correction. :D

I see that if I am too far away from the green/pin in my waste area it won't give me the splash but in the same waste area if I'm closer, it will.

Thanks again.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#18 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:46 PM

To clarify, I was speaking to your comment about the word “bunker” having some effect on how the layer plays. It doesn’t.
Including or omitting the word bunker doesn’t change the physics property of the layer (AKA the “mesh shape”). It can still play as sand without the word bunker, just as any layer can play as rough/fairway/sand/ whatever if you change the “mesh shape” property.

#19 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

Got it. Thank You. I crossed out that part of my reply. :) Post #10

What I had forgotten, since I rarely play, is that when you're a certain distance away from the green, you won't get the "Splash" option, it's only when you get close enough to the green, that you get that option. Thus you won't get a splash when in a fairway bunker, Unless it's close enough.

In my pic of that waste bunker, if I'm too far away from the pin, I don't get the "splash" option but when I get closer to the pin and in the same waste bunker, I will get the splash.

When I made that comment, I had forgotten about that. So you can get 2 different options, in the same bunker.

Either way, I understand.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#20 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

Example: 2 pics. Same waste bunker.

First pic I am too far away from the pin to get the "Splash" Option.

2nd pic I am close enough to get the "Splash Option".

Hence my mistake.

Here I only get the Full Swing option. As I'm too far away from pin.

Again, thanks for the correction Bortimus. :)

978Y0bd.jpg

Same waste bunker but I'm close enough to get the "splash option"..

So, 2 options, same bunker.

nDR3pke.jpg

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users