System Requirements

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

@ PerfectParallel:

It's early but it will help players understand possible upgrades to their existing machines.

What do you (PP) propose will be the minimum System Requirements to play PerfectGolf?

#2 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Whatever the requirments I always suggest to owners of retail  (off-the-shelf) computers to find an earlier
(3 or 4 years) version graphics card at eBay or elsewhere and a 450 Watt Power Supply to handle any golf
they enjoy playing. A 450 Watt will cost about $40.00 and an earlier version card (new and in the box)
may only be around $60.00 to $100.00. 

Members please note: I mention an upgrade for a power supply because any middle range graphics
card will require 350 to 450 watts. Upper-middle to high-end cards may require 500 to 750 Watts.

#3 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Not that I know much about PCs and upgrades but a couple of years ago I thought about changing my card, only to read the specs and power supply was a critical thing.

Good post!
  • Nemesis likes this

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

We can post Unity minimum specs but you can find these on the internet.  Until we have had a chance to look at the real life usage of our game we will have no idea of what we propose the minimum specs should be, or course if you have a quad sli high end graphics card with 16 gig of Ram and an I7 chipset I feel confident that it will work.  Other than that we are not in a position to provide this info nor would we want to be responsible for someone going out getting a specific spec and then finding that it changes, so until the game is locked down we will not be able to provide any specifics.

• Nemesis and egl1219 like this

#5 PurpleTurf

PurpleTurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove, MN

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Whatever the requirments I always suggest to owners of retail  (off-the-shelf) computers to find an earlier
(3 or 4 years) version graphics card at eBay or elsewhere and a 450 Watt Power Supply to handle any golf
they enjoy playing. A 450 Watt will cost about $40.00 and an earlier version card (new and in the box)
may only be around $60.00 to $100.00. 

Members please note: I mention an upgrade for a power supply because any middle range graphics
card will require 350 to 450 watts. Upper-middle to high-end cards may require 500 to 750 Watts.

A earlier version card is a great idea for any game like this that isnt too demanding but a bit much for most on chip graphics.  But for those that want to save money or whom arent good at upgrading and still want to enjoy some 3D games like this and other mid range games:

Id suggest if your going COMPLETELY off the shelf with no knowledge of upgrading that you steer more towards AMD A6-A10 machines.  The onchip video on those machines would be better for this type of thing than Intel onchip video.  True dedicated video with Intel processor would be much faster but not everyone knows how to upgrade their own machines like us long time computer geeks :)

• Nemesis likes this

#6 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Excellent explanation PurpleTurf.  :)

#7 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Just do like the TW's PC series did, if you have a low end graphics card you can run the game with options turned off IE: no grass blades no reflective water etc. But if you have a high end card you can max everything out and enjoy the full experience.

I don't want a game with graphix restrictions, but I realize some folks dont have high end cards, either do I, I have a middle of the road card..

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#8 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Not that I know much about PCs and upgrades but a couple of years ago I thought about changing my card, only to read the specs and power supply was a critical thing.

Good post!

Like PT implied, there are many of us who live in "Geekdom Land".  You'll have plenty of us tech-heads to help you out when and if the time comes to upgrade or buy a new computer.

This is my current computer which I built in August 2011.
I chose Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.
(there are still many brand new W7 computers on the Internet)

Primary Drive: OCZ Vertex Plus 2.5" Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA II 
Storage Drive: Western Digital 680 GB Hard Drive
Corsair Hydro H60 CPU Liquid Cooling
Ultra ULT40135 Performance 120mm Case Fan x 2
Asus M4A88T-V EVO USB3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Processor (OC to 4.1Ghz)
Transcend 2000MHz  8GB
Corsair 650 Watt Power Supply
PNY GeForce GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 PCI-e Video Card

#9 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

lee

what does it cost to build a computer like yours?

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#10 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

lee

what does it cost to build a computer like yours?

About $700.00. By doing so, about a $400.00 savings had I ordered a custom PC by a Mfg.

There are bare bone kits available for hundreds of dollars less than ordering custom builds from mfg's. The kits have to be assembled at home. If you ever glued together a model car, balsa wood airplane or assembled an electronic device you can pretty easily assemble your own bundle of components. Just search any major online computer retailer for bare bones kits. (my favorite is tigerdirect.com)

My build was part bare bones kit, and part personal choice of components.

#11 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

This is my rig I built in 2012.

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
3x 580 Hydro copper in SLI
GTS 450 (Fermi) For Phyx
4x OCZ 60GB SSD HD In Raid 0
1x1 TB HD
Rampage III Extreme Mother Board
24 GB Kingston Hyperx Memory
Intel® Core ™ i7x980@ 3.33GHz
Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler (CPU)
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System (GPU'S)
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" 2560x1600

• fungolfer likes this

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#12 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

I can see we both favor OCZ SSD's over Intel SSD's, I have one 60GB and another 120GB for my other PC's in the home.  You're i7x980 is super nice too. Can't beat a Hydro Liquid Cooler either, they certainly make the system a lot quieter and cooler by replacing the CPU fan.   When playing TW08 on highest resolution the GPU averages around 64° and my CPU stays around 53°.  I keep one case fan aimed at the video card, one inside the front of the case and one attached to the radiator.

#13 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I can see we both favor OCZ SSD's over Intel SSD's, I have one 60GB and another 120GB for my other PC's in the home.  You're i7x980 is super nice too. Can't beat a Hydro Liquid Cooler either, they certainly make the system a lot quieter and cooler by replacing the CPU fan.   When playing TW08 on highest resolution the GPU averages around 64° and my CPU stays around 53°.  I keep one case fan aimed at the video card, one inside the front of the case and one attached to the radiator.

I've probably got around $6,000 in my machine but if I were to buy it built it would be around 11,000 at the time.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#14 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

I've probably got around $6,000 in my machine but if I were to buy it built it would be around 11,000 at the time.

i looked at the utube video very cool,im not to techy but that looks like     quite a machine. i noticed you are moving to indiana

there is a guy in anderson i have been playing TWO with for 3 yrs,also a rider,harley. i used to ride them harleys but in 99 i went over to victory

and now victory also own indians,so im now looking at finding a way to geting a 2014 indian  111 ci  stock quite a motor

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#15 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

I don't want a game with graphix restrictions, but I realize some folks dont have high end cards, either do I, I have a middle of the road card..

Exactly Larry. This is why I mentioned to golfers that already have a desktop computer which is sharing their on-board Memory
with the on-board video module.  Rather than spending 500 to 1000 on a new computer they can spend about $150.00 and
upgrade their current desktop PC to a really nice Golfer's PC.

I moved the remaining post to a new topic:  Desktop Upgrades and New Machines

#16 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

i looked at the utube video very cool,im not to techy but that looks like quite a machine.

Thanks Dave.  I built to meet my needs after researching the various components. AND, very important, I bought devices
and components that were at least two years old or older (new, never used). This saved me 30 to 40 percent on the cost of each item.

SATA versus PATA  (why all modern desktops are made with SATA compatible devices)

#17 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

...and this was TWO's system requirements.

Attached Files

#18 BladeUK

BladeUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Unless it is a budget necessity I would not recommend buying a machine that meets any games minimum requirements as many machines run the game but so poorly it's not worth it imho.

Dave.

#19 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

Unless it is a budget necessity I would not recommend buying a machine that meets any games minimum requirements as many machines run the game but so poorly it's not worth it imho.

Dave.

Exactly Dave.  That is why I posted these requirements so golfers can make certain their PC's specs are way above minimum.
Most experienced gamers know that fact, but I am very glad you posted your recommendation.  Thanks. :)

#20 PurpleTurf

PurpleTurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove, MN

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Like PT implied, there are many of us who live in "Geekdom Land".  You'll have plenty of us tech-heads to help you out when and if the time comes to upgrade or buy a new computer.

This is my current computer which I built in August 2011.
I chose Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.
(there are still many brand new W7 computers on the Internet)

Primary Drive: OCZ Vertex Plus 2.5" Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA II 
Storage Drive: Western Digital 680 GB Hard Drive
Corsair Hydro H60 CPU Liquid Cooling
Ultra ULT40135 Performance 120mm Case Fan x 2
Asus M4A88T-V EVO USB3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Processor (OC to 4.1Ghz)
Transcend 2000MHz  16GB
Corsair 650 Watt Power Supply
PNY GeForce GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 PCI-e Video Card

Those AMD Phenom II Processors were some of AMDs best.  I dont think they have made one that has the same price to power ratio since.  The A series processors have been ok but are really just an alternative to dedicated video more than great stand alone processors.

I have the Phenom II in one of my older machines, running this as my main now:

Asus P8Z68-V Board, with i5 2320 processor, OCZ 250GB SSD, OCZ 1000W Modular Power Supply and EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 Video Card.  Rest filler, fans, lots memory, fan controllers, storage drive, ect...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users