#1 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

I haven't seen anything in the forums as to how you will be able to aim and configure your shot. For me I would like to be able to do some math and be able to hit a close shot provided the physics are consistent in the game. I also find that using the arrow keys work very well for me for moving the marker left right and up or down. I'm sure there will be a wind meter of some kind and be able to see the elevations. So I'm just saying that if you do the math and hit your snap you should have a pretty close shot. Will we be able to adjust our shots in increments that would be marked on the swing meter?  

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#2 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

I am hoping that what you describe would be at the easier levels of the game.  More advanced play would do away with wind meters, marks on a swing gauge, etc. and make aiming more difficult (or less precise).  I would be more excited about un-predictable shots based on the maths done.  And by un-predictable, I don`t mean it would be a great deal different, but I would think it should be impossible to exactly replicate a shot previously taken.

I don`t have much to comment on the actual aiming process - arrow keys or a mouse click or touch screen would be OK, but I hope the aim isn`t exact.

Armand

#3 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

I am hoping that what you describe would be at the easier levels of the game.  More advanced play would do away with wind meters, marks on a swing gauge, etc. and make aiming more difficult (or less precise).  I would be more excited about un-predictable shots based on the maths done.  And by un-predictable, I don`t mean it would be a great deal different, but I would think it should be impossible to exactly replicate a shot previously taken.

I don`t have much to comment on the actual aiming process - arrow keys or a mouse click or touch screen would be OK, but I hope the aim isn`t exact.

Armand

I just don't want it to be like my real golf game. I think the skill should be hitting your snap once you do the math. But I understand what you're saying so maybe it would be good to be able to set the game to your liking.   

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
1 TB HD for storage
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:14 AM

Everyone gets something different out of gaming. That is why we plan, rather than having difficulty levels, to have a list of aids you can choose to use or not. Wind meters, dots on meter, aiming markers, top screen aiming etc all fall into that category. If you turn off marker aiming you will have to align your feet inthe direction you are aiming.
  • FixAmer1st, fungolfer, Stephen Sullivan and 6 others like this

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

...is the right answer! There's nothing not to like about that comment. Thanks, AJ. 

• fungolfer likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Everyone gets something different out of gaming. That is why we plan, rather than having difficulty levels, to have a list of aids you can choose to use or not. Wind meters, dots on meter, aiming markers, top screen aiming etc all fall into that category. If you turn off marker aiming you will have to align your feet inthe direction you are aiming.

That sounds good and should make everyone happy. I like the way you guys think.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
1 TB HD for storage

#7 Jbx

Jbx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHampshire, England

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

...is the right answer! There's nothing not to like about that comment. Thanks, AJ. 

Absolutely right!

Jbx%20golgBall1.jpg

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every mininute of it!

#8 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

I really like the idea of moving your feet rather than using an aiming stick (even though I use one on links).

#9 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

I really like the idea of moving your feet rather than using an aiming stick (even though I use one on links).

I'm sure this was how the aiming was done in TW'08..... the only PC version of the game I actually tried, lol.

Thought it was a neat feature, instead of moving an aiming marker 250yds+ in to the distance right next to a flag, lol. It was one feature that I really liked from the EA TW series.

#10 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

I also like this idea.

This idea was used on an original Playstation golf game back in the 90's, but I can't remember the name of it. It was certainly one of the toughest to play. 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#11 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

@daz and @acrillix - yes, remember from TW08 also......was the only version I played more than a few times. Still like Wii Sports golf, would love to be able to use a controller like a golf club swing.

On second thoughts, maybe that's a bad idea....he he!!

#12 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

I've always felt like the aiming stick with a simple enough adjustment could put you relatively in line but at the same time take out some of the exactness associated with an aiming stick. Simply allow the aiming stick, but restrict it's movement to say 90 or 100 yards from where your hitting from. It allows you to really dial in on something such as a sand wedge but at the same time makes each additional club progressively more difficult to hit on line.

• Dazmaniac likes this

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#13 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

I suppose another question is should your default position always be dead straight at the pin? @acrillix was also asking in another post about plotting hole paths.....perhaps the default should be centre of fairway or centre of green or along hole path? You then adjust from there????

Would me hole previews a given!

#14 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

I'm sure this was how the aiming was done in TW'08..... the only PC version of the game I actually tried, lol.

Thought it was a neat feature, instead of moving an aiming marker 250yds+ in to the distance right next to a flag, lol. It was one feature that I really liked from the EA TW series.

The default aiming in TW08 had an aiming arrow that was on the ground in front of your golfers feet.  However, I installed a mod that made the aiming arrow invisible and I had to use only my golfers feet to aim.

I also like the idea that was suggested to not have the golfer automatically aiming down the middle of the fairway or at the pin on a par 3.

-MERACE

#15 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

I really don't see what the Difference is where the golfer is aiming. Whether it's at the pin or middle of the fwy.

Does anybody just walk up to the tee and hit the ball? No, we all step up to the tee and have a look before we hit the ball, same as we do on every shot we take. So where your golfer is aiming is immaterial, since you're very likely going to change your aim anyway. :)

#16 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

When I look at the hole IRL, I pick out a place where I "intend" to flight the ball.  So in some way, I am mentally placing an aiming stick to where I want to start the ball flight.  Using course knowledge and what I see before me, I picture this aim point.  Over this bunker, left of this mound, at this tree.  Sometimes you look a few hundred yards, some times much less.   I then set my club to the desired target line, take my stance and align my body for the desired shot.

The aiming stick as it is in Links 2003 is probably to easy, since you can place it anywhere, depending on how you set up your difficulty level, use different cameras, etc.  I think these "options" would be nice to keep and allow players to play at their level to keep it fun for them.  Turning off different options, will allow for greater difficulty/more realism.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#17 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

@tim - I think you are spot on.

Having just got back into links and gone back to pro from champ I am now off a handicap of minus 8. When I was on champ I was around scratch. Although you'd think champ was more realistic for my abilities, much of this was gaining pars by scrambling. I think I went 10s of events without recording an eagle!

I think what I'm now realising is my reactions (and PC) suit pro, but I need to disable a few options to give me the appropriate difficulty, so that on a given day or easy course I might shoot under par net and on a different day or hard course I will struggle break par.

So for you of you on OWGC, I'm not sandbagging.....honestly! ;-)

#18 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

The default aiming in TW08 had an aiming arrow that was on the ground in front of your golfers feet.  However, I installed a mod that made the aiming arrow invisible and I had to use only my golfers feet to aim.

I also like the idea that was suggested to not have the golfer automatically aiming down the middle of the fairway or at the pin on a par 3.

-MERACE

Exactly and it's been that way for at least the 8yrs I've been around TW PC..  If anything I hope it would only be improved upon, if possible...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#19 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

I really don't see what the Difference is where the golfer is aiming. Whether it's at the pin or middle of the fwy.

Does anybody just walk up to the tee and hit the ball? No, we all step up to the tee and have a look before we hit the ball, same as we do on every shot we take. So where your golfer is aiming is immaterial, since you're very likely going to change your aim anyway. :)

I hope Perfect Golf does away with the 'rotate to pin' option that Links has. Not needed IMO.

• Bluenoser likes this

#20 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I hope Perfect Golf does away with the 'rotate to pin' option that Links has. Not needed IMO.

Agree, I do however like the way the rotate option works where you can turn as little or as much as you like in 1 move. Links uses degrees which works well, but I suppose you could use in/cm or whatever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users