#21 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:09 AM

Found this helped greatly

Basically turn on Loudness Equalization on your speaker settings in windows and will boost the volume

Did the trick thanks.

• DPRoberts likes this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#22 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

Dp ...

You are a madman!!!   That was some tutorial....wow!

So basically, the 3d grass is on a material that is placed on a .fbx mesh.  So unity is placed in debug, choose your spline, export out to .obj.

go into blender and create it to .fbx and import back in.  then add the  grass material.

very cool and would also work with my custom bunker technique since they are all .fbx meshes.

my only issue is it would probably bring my heavly "tri'd" courses to a hault.  Also, Im worried that ithe grass covering will  "cover up"  the textures to much, unless I go with the 3 grass RBG grasses which I like alot.

Quite the effort you put into this...looks great with the parkland courses

Rob

• RobC and DPRoberts like this

#23 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

Rob,

Strangely, you might find your courses actually run better. Johnmeyer has been working on his TPC John Deere and he is getting an increase in FPS over the non 3d grass course.

It's almost like it brings the GPU to life.

This is 5 minutes of goofing around but I am going to run a 3 foot grass over the cliffs to experiment.

The longer blades sway in the wind.

I strongly believe that you will do amazing things with this shader. It has so many creative uses. You can make splines to get the meshes and delete the spline as well. Effectively, using CF just to create planting meshes.

You can use it to plant single blades as well as billboards. You can use an atlas with 20+ styles of grass/flowers/gruff to procedurally plant.

WlAVziz.jpg
  • Joe Habiger, highfade, Buck and 3 others like this

#24 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

Shader definitely seems to "transfer" some load onto the GPU.. Deere Run non 3DG, running a i5 8400  GTX 1050,  Ultra Settings,  1660 x 900, i get 30 FPS and GPU use at 47% or something,  the 3DG grass version i actually get 39FPS, and GPU usage at 97%

So far only planted out 4 holes using 3DG, and still lots of tinkering including using CF to make standalone "manual" 3dg areas for my bare terrain scrub areas, but overall so far its been very very encouraging

• Joe Habiger and Buck like this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#25 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:54 PM

DP plays a game with which I am not familiar.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#26 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:40 AM

Ok some info from DP please or anyone else with knowledge. I'm already to redo Hazeltine 2019 with 3d grass and then i'll take that same version and just redo the layout and maybe add some tournament objects OR NOT and release a Rydercup version. I watched all the videos and I have blender setup by following the videos (although DP has 2.78 and he suggested 2.80 and that beta has a different setup but I think I still have it setup properly. I have the shader and the OBJ exporter. I'm still not completely satisfied with my overlay for fairways, tees and greens but I can save that for last really. DP mentioned something about bunker water but he never showed anything but I would imagine he is just drawing a shape around the water and using a clone bunker shape so the grass stays out of the water?

Anyways the reason I made the reply for info is I am not sure if I should draw a rough (low) around the course (adding buffers in open areas I would imagine?) or do how I see it done in Orchard Valley which is surrounding 2-3 holes at a time. I am not sure if I can go that route though with all the cart paths I have because I am not sure you can cross the cart paths or I could just be overthinking this. I have seen his tutorial on how to make a low res second terrain but that was done with the overlay and I will probably not be using mine or only certain areas. I just need help because once I get those water bunker shapes done and the outer rough shapes I can start adding 3d grass and redoing the coloring in the trees to make it look better and maybe other things. I was happy with how Hazeltine turned out but not happy because I did a HORRIBLE job at texturing, I have tons of textures from other games but I am not happy with how they look in game and I am not a texture person so this would help the course look awesome and it's something I think I would be much prouder with, I guess I was just so sick of working on it and play testing it (probably 50 times) that I just wanted it done. Anyhow please reply on what you think I should do since there is really not a tutorial that I know of anyways on doing outer rough splining that ain't the low res second terrain one that DP made but that really doesn't pertain to this situation though I think for 3d grass outers.

I really wish people would upload more of the textures they are using for there courses instead of saving for themselves because we all benefit. I am going to upload pretty much every texture I have tomorrow that I have accumulated from many years of golf design and from other games and if anyone of you want to use them by all means. Yes I also realize I still need to clone out the shadows on the overlay if I use that for tees, greens and fairways. :)

EYOLx6c.jpg

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#27 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:02 AM

Ok I think I am doing it right but because of all the cart paths I have I am drawing in between them with the low res spline, hole 1 has one low res spline because of the cart paths but I have 9 and 18 together and 10 and 16 together by going between the paths. Looks good and hopefully I can keep going through all the holes this way. Yeah I might have to export more splines but oh well.

ZfZrymZ.jpg

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#28 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:19 AM

Paths are tough. I was hoping the Blender cut out method of the paths would do the trick but it doesn't always work. You have to have enough space between the path and adjacent spline or it may not cut out.

At the moment, I would argue the best looking is splining the paths.

What you are doing works as well but you'll see it will look a touch odd next to the path. I would suggest running the splines for the grass mesh just a touch over the path edge or right to it. Because you will be lowering the spline and adding the grass shader you won't have to worry about z fighting.

You may get a bit of grass on the path but that may look better than an exposed 2d texture. You'll see what I mean when you start putting the grass down.
  • Joe Habiger likes this

#29 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:30 AM

On my phone so this is best I can do at the moment...

9TQnVT6.jpg
  • Joe Habiger likes this

#30 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:34 AM

As far as exporting, honestly, probably best to handle 1 hole at a time. Then, stay organized and make a hole 1 folder. Include "Hole 1_Rough_OBJ" and other splines that you need.

I say this because if you make a change later, it's easier to redo 1 hole versus remember which holes splines you need to pick up not to screw something else up.
  • Stingreye likes this

#31 RBarley

RBarley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationEastern Pennsylvania

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:55 AM

Matt,

Would you explain the Blender cut out method in further detail or is it a knife cut. I'm needing to join paths in unity and I know you have to export to blender and I'm not sure how to do the process in blender. 

Paths are tough. I was hoping the Blender cut out method of the paths would do the trick but it doesn't always work. You have to have enough space between the path and adjacent spline or it may not cut out.

At the moment, I would argue the best looking is splining the paths.

#32 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:21 AM

I think I've mentioned this before, but EasyRoads is basically a no-no here if I remember correctly.... would that be right?

One of the walls I keep bumping into with this technique is wondering what to do with the cart paths, cause they just cause so many problems getting in the way of other splines.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#33 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

On my phone so this is best I can do at the moment...

9TQnVT6.jpg

Ok thanks maybe I got confused when I seen the video and you had gaps between the low res rough and paths but I just checked and you didn't so thanks for coming in here and helping out.

Also as Matt said above is easyroads a problem? If it maybe a problem now or later with the 3d grass i'd rather just delete the cart paths and spline them even if it maybe take a day. I'll wait to here back on this before I go any further.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#34 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

Don't delete all your paths, yet. Create a game object in the hierarchy and name "Easy Roads". Go to the search and type "Spline road". Take all your easy roads splines and move them into your new folder.

You can then use the presence of the paths to help you create your spline paths. Something to trace. After creating all your spline paths, you can hide your Easy roads by going to that folder you created for the roads and unchecking the box in the inspector that controls the mesh rendering.

The plus of using Easy roads regardless is that it'll level the terrain. So, if doing a new course, I might trace Easy Roads just to level terrain.

The downside to spline paths is that you will have to accept gaps in some areas. Obviously, you cannot cross splines. I try and start the path behind the tee box and finish behind the green. It's not really noticeable or detracts.

At least for me, I'd rather the ease of getting the rough spline near the path and the grass growing all the way to the edge than worry that the gaps aren't there in real life.

For Roy, there are really 2 things there - you would like to know how to connect Blender paths and others may like to know how to use Blender to cut out paths for the grass. I can show both those answers in a video. It'll have to wait as I'm not in town.
  • Joe Habiger likes this

#35 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

For Matt, for most areas, you can run a rough spline inside the path. Then, use a low res spline to go around outside path to OB area and run the length of several holes.

This limits break up sections of the path. But, I'm in favor of a path break at each hole. I know that sucks a little but go fly around Scioto or Orchard Valley and tell me if you think the way the paths are detract from the spirit of the course.

#36 RBarley

RBarley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationEastern Pennsylvania

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

Matt,

I would like to know how to connect all the paths in blender. A blender video would be great for us rookies.

For Roy, there are really 2 things there - you would like to know how to connect Blender paths and others may like to know how to use Blender to cut out paths for the grass. I can show both those answers in a video. It'll have to wait as I'm not in town.          

• DPRoberts likes this

#37 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:06 PM

When altering the script, is it possible to use the Unity Mono Development?

Also is this script change needed for each rough type? Or is it a one time deal?

I tried using notepad for the script change but it was a page of wrap around text

and very tough to find the code line that needed changing. Thanks

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#38 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

You mean changing this y value? It's a one time deal and you can do it in mono development. Notepad++ also worked for me.

#39 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

Yes, adding this line  pos.y += 0.15f;

Thanks

• DPRoberts likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#40 HeNs

HeNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationFlorida,USA

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:43 AM

u6Y7HLl.jpg

7Q9n67F.jpg

Any idea how I can get rid of this grass I have tried pretty much all I know with deleting grass,splines, and mesh to start over but still there. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. This is under the green mesh on the terrain.

DP tried hit you through PM but says you can't receive mail may be cause of images or your full.

OGT PGA TOUR ADMINISTRATOR 

PGA TOUR HOME PAGE  : https://www.simulati...e.html?id=10047

OGT TEAM  PLAY ADMINISTRATOR 

TEAM PLAY FORUMS :  http://www.onlinegol...wforum.php?f=66

OGT TEAM TOURNAMENT ADMINISTRATOR http://www.onlinegol...php?f=66&t=3701

Asus  i5-7400 @ 3.00 GHz 

Memory 16 GB DDR4

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users