#21 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:15 AM

I went back and looked at the video tutorial. I guess that is the way Mike Jones did it in the video. My memory was telling me that when I followed along in the video, I was building each spline as I completed it, not drawing them all at the same time and then building them. Shame on me.

So I guess the next question is, if I have a hole that has the green, bunker, fairway and roughsemi splines already built and I want to add a rough, is there a way to do that without it causing the issues that I originally posted about?

I'd guess, draw your rough spline around the existing splines, select the rough spline and do a build....it should recalculate all the splines within that rough spline....what can go wrong?

#22 Krotus

Krotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:15 AM

Odd bunker shading?  How many paint textures are you using?  Sometimes the bunkers get borked when you use too many textures.  I don't know how that would effect the other splines, but I've had it shade the bunkers a weird way.  Almost like half the bunker was in a the shade.

I'm just using the defaults. The odd shading came about when I starting messing with blend depth settings. Even after I put them back to the defaults the shading anomaly was still there where half of each bunkers was in a darker shadow.

#23 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:17 AM

You can just draw rough around the outside of all those splines.

You can recalculate the splines at any time. You can draw 100 of them without refreshing them until they are all drawn. You can draw 1 at a time and refresh then each time.

If you correctly space the splines so that the blends do not overlap, you will get correctly drawn meshes every time after recalculation.

If you are not getting the results you desire, I promise, it is almost always user error and not understanding how the CF program works.
  • Joe Habiger and RobC like this

#24 Krotus

Krotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:57 AM

You can just draw rough around the outside of all those splines.

You can recalculate the splines at any time. You can draw 100 of them without refreshing them until they are all drawn. You can draw 1 at a time and refresh then each time.

If you correctly space the splines so that the blends do not overlap, you will get correctly drawn meshes every time after recalculation.

If you are not getting the results you desire, I promise, it is almost always user error and not understanding how the CF program works.

I can guarantee that I am not getting splines too close together or overlapping or having blend issues and I am not getting correctly drawn meshes every time after recalculation.

Here is a hole with a green, bunker, fairway and roughsemi:

087e10_0120620fa6384fd08b3b49782205f1d6~

Here is the hole inside the game:

087e10_0bd70d37feaf4cb992d7f53b66c4ed6b~

Now the same hole with an added rough spline:

087e10_2ac8e54a55a9431490a5440f4c29f3ef~

And now in the game:

087e10_a56e6c7e07434a5b951b64b5e95c47e6~

I've also tested this by creating simple splines and building them. I can create a green and build the spline. I can create a bunker and build the spline. I can create a fairway and build the spline. All fine. Now, if I surround them all with roughsemi, rough or rough deep, I get the issue that you see above.  If I create all the splines and shape them THEN build the outer spline, all is well. What I am having trouble with is adding a spline encircling existing built splines and then building that outer spline - I get the results as seen above. It does not matter if I have the outer spline 3 feet away, 5 feet away or 40 away; I get the same result. I have tried building each spline individually from the inside out and from the outside in. Same result. If I delete the newly added and built outer spline, everything goes back to normal as seen in the top two images.

I have tried moving the existing built splines, drawing the outer spline, moving the other splines back in, clicking on the outer spine and building. Same results as above. I tried the same thing only building the outer spline then moving the other splines back in and building the outer spline again; same results as above.

I just cannot figure out how to add an encompassing spline around existing built splines without getting the above results.

#25 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

You definitely have a control point to close to another spline or two

control points that are crossed. Try drawing the splines using the point to point

method. When drawing freehand it is easy to get points crossed at the connection points.

That rough spline at the left where it indents looks too sharp compared to the semi above it

which is rounded.

• RobC likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#26 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

I think everybody had similar situations here. So maybe some more things to try.

You know that the spline/blends should not overlap other splines but must also not overlap themself for example in tight corners. This one corner of the rough in the upper left on the third pic looks very tight. Did you check that the blend is not crossing itself in there? Just a thought...

Also you may want to check before (and after) recalculation in shaded/wireframe or just wireframe view if there are any anomalies. I sometimes had long edges going wild through several meshes which for sure caused trouble. Don't know if these were rests from prior missed calculation or deletion of splines. It maybe a good idea after deleting (messed up) splines and shaping new ones to recalculate in between. At least my observation...

And also it could help to see at least your rough layers library entries. Even if you didn't change them, things sometimes need to get resetted or fixed.

• Joe Habiger likes this

#27 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

I would say the curve up by the green in your rough spline is too sharp....if you go straight across instead of cutting in does it then build correct

#28 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:05 AM

I would say the curve up by the green in your rough spline is too sharp....if you go straight across instead of cutting in does it then build correct

^This is my guess also...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#29 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:30 AM

I'm just using the defaults. The odd shading came about when I starting messing with blend depth settings. Even after I put them back to the defaults the shading anomaly was still there where half of each bunkers was in a darker shadow.

This could be a incorrect texture type for the bunker. Go into the layers library and click on bunker. You will see 4 squares in the middle of the layout. Click on the top left one and it will be highlighted in the project section of the interface. It should say bunkersand overhead2. Click on that and an inspector window will open. On my layout it's on the right side. At the top of the inspector window there is a heading "texture type" in the box next to it you should see "Texture". If it's any different click the drop down arrow at the right and select "Texture". Do the same with bunkersandrake and your double shading should disappear.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#30 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:35 AM

2 things there -

#1 - (this is just an FYI, you may already know this) Your bunker appears fine in game so it's likely the appearance in editor is the bunker Z fighting the terrain because it lowers according to the CF layers library values. Any layer containing the word "bunker" will have the terrain lowered down on course build so it will appear normal in game.

There are ways to view that lowering in the editor but I don't want to tangent at the moment.

#2 - change your viewport to "Shaded wireframe" to view which splines have too sharp of angles in them. You will see you don't have clean triangles making up the mesh of your rough.

CF typically cannot accurately generate a mesh with sharp angles because it will cause overlapping vertices. Think of it laying down the mesh with bricks in a line that are all the same shape and size. You can't bend or cut the brick so when you do a curve, it overlaps the bricks trying to make the bend.
  • RobC likes this

#31 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

If it's just your rough that's not looking correct in the "shaded wireframe" view, then as said above, check the points left of the green.

If other layers have issues, I've highlighted the areas that I would investigate and consider a bit more rounding or evaluating overlap.

hQD8IHI.jpg
  • RobC likes this

#32 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

If none of the above suggestions work and you can guarantee me that the semi rough blend does not overlap the rough spline along the left side of that hole, go to the Rough layer in the layers library and take a snapshot of your settings.

If you're using a custom library, it may have dropped the setting of "grid fill" in the drop down on the left. Sometimes, that will go blank with too much messing around in the library.

#33 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:27 PM

Nice hole by the way, yep we are all trying to help because we have all had problems at one point that we couldn't figure out. 

If all else fails PM someone and zip up your "coursename.unity" file and send it to them i'm sure they can figure it out. One of us could just put it in a project of ours with stock textures and open it and take a look and see the offending area. Your hole does not look very complicated and it's only a par 3 so you should NEVER run into vertices problem. I have a feeling Birdie is correct that the upper left by the cliff might be causing the issue with the blend overlapping because if it's set to 1 default it might be overlapping but it's still kind of hard to see and if I look really close I may by wrong on this because there doesn't seem to be much blend. I did look at the larger in game screenshot and it does seem like it could be that one tight corner top left by the cliff that could be the offender.

I would just round off the edges of the rough a bit more by the bunker and the cliff, it's really not that complicated of a shape but we are working inside of unity..lol

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#34 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:53 PM

Don't think anyone's mentioned the button to hold down to see the blends with the splines...if you hold the shift key down while in spline mode you see the following:

e2f04ee7e5.jpeg

It's the black lines that can't overlap.

#35 Krotus

Krotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

You know that the spline/blends should not overlap other splines but must also not overlap themself for example in tight corners.

WINNER!

The problem actually wasn't the tight corner in the upper right at the crease in the cliff (although that was a legitimate observation by all of you). The purple of the roughsemi spline on the green background made this hard to see but when I zoomed in very close and looked at the black lines showing the blend, just a few of nodes down from that crease in the cliff, on the roughsemi spline, there was a "kink" in the blend line - I couldn't see it in the purple spline. I deleted that node on the roughsemi and viola!, issue resolved.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the help. I'm sure I'll be back at some with other questions. Happy 4th!

• Joe Habiger and nstone73 like this

#36 Krotus

Krotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:56 AM

Alright, here's a different issue on a different hole. Same scenario as the other hole: I had a green, bunkers, fairway and roughsemi all built. Added a rough. Bye-bye green, bunkers and fairway.

Zoomed in on the roughsemi spline and found a weird "break in the blend:

087e10_5a2076e02c2d467ca85fa59781da3da0~

It corresponds exactly to this area of the mesh:

087e10_941af7f46cc343059d5311c7ce3094e4~

But it still renders the blend:

087e10_11d41ac815f6465c95ad98a9fdff067b~

Tried moving nodes, adding nodes, deleting nodes, that "break" is still there - it just moves around depending upon where I move nodes.

Deleted the roughsemi spline. Clicked node on the rough spline and built it. Green, bunkers and fairway are back. Good. Redrew the roughsemi spline. Clicked node on the rough spline and built it. Bye-bye green, bunkers and fairway.

Deleted the roughsemi spline again and rebuilt the rough spline. Green, bunkers and fairway are back. Changed the rough spline to roughsemi and built it. Everything is fine. Added a new rough spline and the same issue happens and there is a "break" in the roughsemi.

Any ideas as to what this issue might be?

#37 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:01 AM

Sure you haven't accidentally moved your terrain?

show terrain settings

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#38 Krotus

Krotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

Sure you haven't accidentally moved your terrain?

show terrain settings

No, I didn't move the terrain - I hid it and the grid for clarity.

However, I deleted both the roughsemi and rough splines. Green, bunkers and fairway were built correctly. Drew a new roughsemi spline. It had a break in the blend lines just the like the pictures posted above, just in a different spot. I'm wondering if it's just a weird rendering bug in CF - it appears that the break shows up at the spot I double-click to close the spline.

I built the new roughsemi and everything was fine. Drew a new rough spline, built it and everything was fine. Not really certain what the problem was; other than that break in the blend lines, there was nothing I could detect.

#39 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:39 AM

Is it possible you had 2 overlapping control points? When I double click to finish a spline, I don't do it on another point, you'll end up with 2 side by side or right over each other.

You can delete control points by holding either Shift and double click with LMB or holding Control and double click with LMB. I can't remember which it is at the moment.

#40 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

Ctrl+double click to add a control point

Shift+double click to remove a control point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users