#101 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

No questioning the value of the initial purchase!
Also very glad the servers are still up.

I'd honestly be happy to pay a monthly fee to keep those going if that eventually becomes an issue.

I would pay what the simulator players are paying for the game upgrades/free courses. I piss off more than that monthly on spur of the moment Amazon purchases.

• Buck likes this

#102 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:25 PM

I so never wanted to think it but those of us who beta tested TWO had virtually the same thing happen to us. Once they got the game playable and made a few bucks, the devs disappeared completely.

Of course, this game hasn't went belly up yet and TWO has, so I still hold out hope. I have a course I'm doing and would like to finish it while the game is still running.

And this game blows away what TWO was.

I hope I am wrong but I'm not stupid!

• Buck likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#103 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:28 PM

I would pay what the simulator players are paying for the game upgrades/free courses. I piss off more than that monthly on spur of the moment Amazon purchases.

What do they pay monthly?

#104 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

Maybe we can all agree they had a business model that was destined to fail.

They jumped ship because they weren't able to figure that out. Instead of jumping ship, it would've been cool if they could've tried a revamp of the business model to ensure sustainability for improvements.

But, we still would've complained because we'd be paying for an "incomplete" product that was asking for more money.
  • Joe Habiger likes this

#105 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

Sim players pay $250 yearly

#106 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:36 PM

Sim players pay $250 yearly

Oof - I'd consider it though if it kept including all the courses TM users have been getting.
The growing library over time is considerable.

But - I'd want 3rd party course ability also (which TM users don't have).

#107 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

Maybe we can all agree they had a business model that was destined to fail.

They jumped ship because they weren't able to figure that out. Instead of jumping ship, it would've been cool if they could've tried a revamp of the business model to ensure sustainability for improvements.

This.
I really wish they would have at least tried the Season Pass thing to find out for sure.

#108 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:39 PM

And, imagine the sense of entitlement around here if we were paying $20 bucks a month for the game.

If no career mode, or no mocap avatars, or no new pants or gloves or shoes or the occasional ball that spins back 50 yards, flames...

#109 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:43 PM

And, imagine the sense of entitlement around here if we were paying $20 bucks a month for the game.

If no career mode, or no mocap avatars, or no new pants or gloves or shoes or the occasional ball that spins back 50 yards, flames...

Well - honestly I think a payment plan of that magnitude, for the general retail user, comes with the expectation that it would allow them the resources to keep developing, adding to and fixing the game, no?

To some extent Sim users are being charged that much because they can.
It's a bit like what higher end hotels charge for wi-fi due to the market they're addressing.

If the fee were just for server access and no more dev or content, it really should be more like $5/mo

#110 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

Well - honestly I think a payment plan of that magnitude I think comes with the expectation that it would allow them the resources to keep developing the game, no?

To some extent Sim users are being charged that much because they can. It's a bit like what higher end hotels charge for wi-fi due to the market they're addressing.

If it were just for server access, it really should be more like $5/mo

Crazy thing, Sim players pay $250 for the identical experience as pc users. The LM is literally just another controller method. And yet satisfaction with perfect parralell is really high. There are almost no complains about Mike and Andrew in the ogt sim discord server. These are all people paying $250 per year plus another $40 a year for ogt and the expectations are WAY lower than the pc players. It’s amazing how there is no correlation to money paid and satisfaction.

#111 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:48 PM

Crazy thing, Sim players pay $250 for the identical experience as pc users. The LM is literally just another controller method. And yet satisfaction with perfect parralell is really high. There are almost no complains about Mike and Andrew in the ogt sim discord server. These are all people paying $250 per year plus another $40 a year for ogt and the expectations are WAY lower than the pc players. It’s amazing how there is no correlation to money paid and satisfaction.

Yep!
Different markets = different users with different expectations and norms.
That's one reason many software developers love & prefer SaaS targeted at Enterprise.

General consumer/retail can be really tough (but also can be a much much larger potential userbase).
Depending upon the niche and what you do and how you do it, you can more than make it up on volume and have a really vibrant eco-system.

#112 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

I guarantee no Trackman users are complaining. And they're paying $1000 a year for software maintenance.

Buck, I was only saying people would feel they had a right to pick and choose improvements that were occurring. They would keep developing but you may not see a career mode just because it was your priority or something like that...

#113 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:53 PM

I guarantee no Trackman users are complaining. And they're paying $1000 a year for software maintenance.

Buck, I was only saying people would feel they had a right to pick and choose improvements that were occurring. They would keep developing but you may not see a career mode just because it was your priority or something like that...

I don't really care about career mode honestly.
Those are very hard to do well and take a TON of resources (EA level) and I think it'd be money poorly spent for a developer of this size.

#114 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

Correct - See post #111

Different market with different cost expectations, particularly if many are pros, semi-pros or simply semi to fully affluent real world golfers.

As we know, the general gaming market is gigantic, but has very different expectations from users.
I think it's a key reason they sold and moved on.

In many ways what they are offering with PG is best suited to use in a TM environment/product offering.
  • DPRoberts likes this

#115 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:58 PM

Correct - See post #111

Different market with different cost expectations, particularly if many are pros, semi-pros or simply semi to fully affluent real world golfers.

As we know, the general gaming market is gigantic, but has very different expectations from users.
I think it's a key reason they sold and moved on.

In many ways what they are offering with PG is best suited to use in a TM environment/product offering.

Not sure they have moved on. If they had no intention of giving us something in the future, why throw us a bone a couple weeks ago with the greensome fix?

#116 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:00 PM

Not sure they have moved on. If they had no intention of giving us something in the future, why throw us a bone a couple weeks ago with the greensome fix?

No clue - maybe it tied into fixing it for TM users and they are being nice?

When I said "moved on", I meant their mindset and thought process back when selling to TM.

I don't think we know anything about what the current intentions are - you are correct.

#117 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:06 PM

@DP
Your inbox is full

#118 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

@DP
Your inbox is full

Haha, he can't blame me this time. ;) :P Sorry, inside joke Buck. :) 

• Buck likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#119 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:11 PM

@DP
Your inbox is full

All good. Fire away. I hope you read my posts as mostly agreeing with you.

In our ideal world, this baby just needed to be open source.
  • Perculator and RobV like this

#120 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:15 PM

In our ideal world, this baby just needed to be open source.

That would be so cool...

We could rename it OSG
(open source golf)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users