• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Shultzy

Shultzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:49 AM

Well, never say never. Didn't think the Flight Simulator franchise would ever be resurrected and look what's happening there.

Microsoft did a great job with Links 2003. All it takes is one higher up with vision to say let's bring Links back with new technology and see where it takes us.

One can always dream about that...

That's the point of my link in the opening post. Microsoft may read the Links thread and it could potentially lead to a new golf sim.

As to how good PG is, it rates low on Steam with a 6/10 as does TGC.

I think if you had a modern golf sim by Microsoft it would eclipse 6/10.

I can't see why people are not enthusiastic about nagging Microsoft for a new golf game.

I'm just the messenger, did my job. ;) :D

#22 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:35 AM

Isn't it dead now?

Works great for me. New courses still arriving. Good enough for me.

• erwildcat and RobV like this

#23 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

fyi... when extracted, they export to .wav files.  

Thanks RobV - I'll now track down an old copy and extract some. Also thanks JoeF.

#24 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

I'm going from memory here, as I don't have it installed either ....

1.  In the default folder, you will probably want to move the files from the \WAV sub-directory to somewhere else (back them up).

2. Under Options, Audio, choose Sound Script Editor and pick one of the user-made SSF files you have installed (UKTribute6.ssf, or similar).  

3. Choose edit script and then you'll likely have to wait 5-10 minutes (or more) while the SSF is extracted.  

4. Check the \WAV sub-directory and examine the files in the folder.  If memory serves, they will all be mono or stereo *.wav files.

The \WAV sub-directory holds the files that you can send to other players while playing multi-player matches, but I also believe it saves the files from a soundscript when you are editing it.  After you save the SSF, the files are zipped up back into the SSF, but the *.wav files are not deleted from the \WAV sub-directory.

Just in the sound editor if you can, load in a soundscript (ssf extension - I can't recall which directory they're in) - and see if the individual files can be exported to wav files.

Mm.. i dont have a sound editor anymore. Sorry about that fella's. <_<  

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#25 Jperkules

Jperkules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, U.S

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:03 AM

The developer of the links series is the company now known as Trugolf. The develop the golf sim software E6.

#26 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

Mm.. i dont have a sound editor anymore. Sorry about that fella's. <_<  

The soundscript editor is built in to the game, so everyone who has Links has the ability to edit or create their own soundscript.  

#27 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

The soundscript editor is built in to the game, so everyone who has Links has the ability to edit or create their own soundscript.  

Aha, I did not know that. So.. do you have a step-by-step how i can check this out? I've got the game in the standard folder with all the files together on my C drive. How do i go about this?

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#28 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:56 PM

Is Gameranger still used to find games?

#29 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:47 AM

Links has been back...it’s called jnpg...what we are playing
Developed by Andrew Jones and mike Jones who kept links 2003 going.

There are still a lot of similar functions in pp that was originally in links...with updated graphics

PG is links updated

Rob
  • LeazesNDR, erwildcat, Mulligan and 4 others like this

#30 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:16 AM

The developer of the links series is the company now known as Trugolf. The develop the golf sim software E6.

The way I remember it was that the Links code got mysteriously lost.

One of the founders of Access who originally did Links before Microsoft purchased it, Chris Jones (another Jones!) - started up TruGolf. We see two of his sons, Ryan and Mason, on the Facebook simulator group every now and again. A few guys from Access apparently went to TruGolf.

E6 is however full 3D rather than the 2.5D nature of Links, so I doubt much of the original code base was used. Even the just released E6 Connect is disappointing compared to JNPG though. E6 was however the bees-knees when it came to an easy-to-use interface for simulator studios with a continual feed of new customers - whereas JNPG would simply not work well in that situation.  Trackman's VG2 looks to have nailed this though so I think we'll start seeing E6 used a lot less.

• Jperkules likes this

#31 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

Links has been back...it’s called jnpg...what we are playing
Developed by Andrew Jones and mike Jones who kept links 2003 going.

There are still a lot of similar functions in pp that was originally in links...with updated graphics

PG is links updated

Rob

Nah... 

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:28 PM

PG is links updated

Hmm..

It may have been on track to be the successor to Links, but it's missing a ton of what Links had feature wise unfortunately.

• RobV likes this

#33 Shultzy

Shultzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:48 AM

Hmm..

It may have been on track to be the successor to Links, but it's missing a ton of what Links had feature wise unfortunately.

Totally agree. Sorry to the fans here but it's not even half a golf game compared to Links. I'd be happy to move on as much as anyone else an use something new but it has to be better. The problem now is PG is as dead as Links so no point wasting time on an inferior product where the future is no different.

I really hope Microsoft do come out with a new golf game. Once the flight sim is released, who knows what they may plan next.

• Buck likes this

#34 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

Totally agree. Sorry to the fans here but it's not even half a golf game compared to Links. I'd be happy to move on as much as anyone else an use something new but it has to be better. The problem now is PG is as dead as Links so no point wasting time on an inferior product where the future is no different.
I really hope Microsoft do come out with a new golf game. Once the flight sim is released, who knows what they may plan next.

Why in the world would Microsoft develop a golf game for a couple hundred people at the most? We must face the fact that video golf doesn't sell to the masses anymore.

#35 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:59 PM

Why in the world would Microsoft develop a golf game for a couple hundred people at the most? We must face the fact that video golf doesn't sell to the masses anymore.

WGT: “ahem..”

It’s possible...
Probably not one that is solely simulation oriented, but if you addressed both markets with the same title - it’s doable for sure

#36 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:43 PM

WGT: “ahem..”
It’s possible...
Probably not one that is solely simulation oriented, but if you addressed both markets with the same title - it’s doable for sure

Buck I just don't view WGT as anything other than taking real pictures and making them playable and very crudely playable I might say. No designers there or for that matter creativity. As for a Sim played on a PC or console there is no market as Millennials hate golf and competition and will not buy it. As for WGT I got Rory and tons of Tiger titles to play before that game and remember WGT doesn't cater to PC or console their base is phones and tablets which is because the game itself doesn't need a powerful system to play. You can't play any of the other games I mentioned on a phone or tablet. WGT is the king of the Office as it's played more by people are mobile.

#37 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

Buck I just don't view WGT as anything other than taking real pictures and making them playable and very crudely playable I might say. No designers there or for that matter creativity. As for a Sim played on a PC or console there is no market as Millennials hate golf and competition and will not buy it. As for WGT I got Rory and tons of Tiger titles to play before that game and remember WGT doesn't cater to PC or console their base is phones and tablets which is because the game itself doesn't need a powerful system to play. You can't play any of the other games I mentioned on a phone or tablet. WGT is the king of the Office as it's played more by people are mobile.

I guess what I'm refuting is your claim that "video golf doesn't sell to the masses anymore".

You and I may not love WGT and how they've chosen to implement their golf game and represent the sport...

...but it's unquestionably "a golf game for the masses" and one that's very successful.

• Greensboronclion and Shultzy like this

#38 Shultzy

Shultzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:48 PM

You could've said the same thing about flight sims a few months ago.

• Buck likes this

#39 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:01 AM

You could've said the same thing about flight sims a few months ago.

Flight Sims are different and they really have a large base worldwide and it made sense to bring them back and also from what I have heard they are not costly to make. Video golf on the other hand is very costly and time consuming to produce. If there was a market for video golf others would jumping to get in not jumping off the ship as they all have or are doing. Microsoft is a business and selling a few hundred copies is very bad business.

#40 Shultzy

Shultzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

Flight Sims are different and they really have a large base worldwide and it made sense to bring them back and also from what I have heard they are not costly to make. Video golf on the other hand is very costly and time consuming to produce. If there was a market for video golf others would jumping to get in not jumping off the ship as they all have or are doing. Microsoft is a business and selling a few hundred copies is very bad business.

You have things very, very wrong. The new flight sim currently has over 200 people working on it and they are still hiring. If you look at the complexity to make a quality flight sim, a golf sim does not compare. There is a huge amount involved.

People were jumping off flight sims. Forums were becoming dead. If you read flight sim forums over the last few years the only new threads were usually people who had a problem looking for a solution. This is dead.

Microsoft announce the new flight sim, suddenly the forums go crazy. There are many out there who would embrace a new golf sim. Times were bad for a while and golf sims vanished except one or two like this one and TGC.

These aren't fully featured golf sims or what a company like Microsoft could produce. It's a new gaming era now with many online capabilities at hand and distribution via things like Steam. If someone puts out the right golf sim, I think you would suddenly find people coming out of hibernation.

If the flight sim is a success, I really will not be surprised to read of a new Microsoft golf sim announcement. I would bet my house the idea has had a mention at Microsoft already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users