#1 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

Anyone know if this works with windows 10?  Picked up the game DVD today, i'm in work so won't get to try it until tomorrow, sure i have seen somewhere that there may be a problem getting it to run.  If it don't work then no drama,picked it up for the price of a beer.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#2 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

Yes- works like a dream

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#3 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:24 PM

Yes- works like a dream

Is there any issue with widescreen res?  so many posts about how the game wont run and full screen issues,  did you have to do anything to get it working or was it ok right off the bat?

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#4 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:51 PM

Go to coursedownloads.com plenty of user made courses there

#5 KChavis

KChavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:00 AM

There is a widescreen patch - where you can basically choose any resolution you want....

#6 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:27 AM

It is called the Universal Patch and is still available on the net. My advice is to go into the forum at Course Downloads. There is numerous information about getting TW08 to run in Win.10. There are certain issues with running the game in Win 10 that have to be addressed  in order for it to run properly. Not near the issues in Win 7 & 8. Anyway, in the forum any questions or problems you run into are answered there.

#7 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:29 AM

I haven't heard of any issues in getting Tiger 08 running on Windows 7.  Windows 10 is entirely different story.  Many people have been able to get it running on Windows 10 but some have had a crap load of issues.  I'm in no hurry to migrate to Windows 10 as a result.  If PG ever stops working I'll be going back to Tiger 08.

• erwildcat likes this

#8 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:46 PM

After the game failing to work on win 10 i found out that there is a voodoo driver that still gets updated to this day available that cures the issue...I can happily report that the game works really well apart from controller use, i have tried plugging in a xbox 360 wired and wireless pad but the game fails to accept it, not that i'm too bothered because the mouse swing is just so good, reminds of PGA 2000.

I actually forgot how good this game is, tiger challenges are prob the best of the series and of course you have career mode.  It's quite sad that i have both TGC 2019 and PG yet this game gives me more than either of them.  Graphics are totally acceptable, its only when you get close to off course objects and galleries you really notice the blocky textures, apart from that they are great for a game 13 years old..Loving it..again!

On a side note, this game shows just how bad Rory Mcilroy tour is.  Where 08 has a nuanced swing system, RM has a dumbed down easy arcade swing even at the highest difficulty, i'm playing intermediate on 08 for now and that's challenging enough, two games worlds apart in quality.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:00 PM

My main gripe on TW08 was the physics. 

I remember a lot of oddities in that area. 

#10 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:16 PM

My main gripe on TW08 was the physics. 

I remember a lot of oddities in that area. 

To be honest i'm not seeing anything glaring, roll out is nice, bounce is ok, backspin is actually better than PG ( not so wild sometimes ) swing is plenty granular ( take good note HB )  Pick or blast from bunkers is really good, gives shots more variation.  Colliders are good and short game has feel and nuance.  Overall most things you never get with TGC and only limited with PG, both games could have learnt a lot from it.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:44 PM

Sounds good Doggs - enjoy!

Honestly, I just can no longer enjoy that big of a step back in graphics.

TW08 was good in its day, but compared to everything else I enjoy in modern gaming, it is really showing its age at this point.

#12 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:17 PM

I'm not good at any golf game, but I still love to play. I have Rory on my PS4 and I enjoy playing it. I still can't get putting down in it. But I play TW08 because Rory to my knowledge is not on PC. I am a 3 clicker so the Golf Club is out of the question for me. I had some other TW that came out after TW08 but really didn't like it. I occasionally will go back to links but the swing meter is too fast. So all in all PG is still the best for me because I like my eye candy and so will just struggle with trying to get better. Anyway the point of the message to start with before I started rambling was I wonder what is wrong with Rory? DoGs I don't understand technical talk, just play ability is all that matters to me. The graphics are better than TW08 and since I play so terrible nothing else seems to matter. Perhaps I will understand as I improve.  

#13 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:18 PM

There is a widescreen patch - where you can basically choose any resolution you want....

Just an additional note, before activating the widescreen patch, go into the game and set the graphic res to 800x600. Next , open the widescreen patch menu. You will see a list of games that are patchable. Highlight TW04 because no higher versions of TW are listed. Omce highlighted type the native res of the monitor or TV you are using in the box provided and click on the "patch" tab. The main screen in the game will still be at 800x600 res. The courses however will appear at the res rate you desinated in the Patcher. In the graphics section of the game it will still show the game running at 800x600 res. Do not change that. Don't worry, once in the courses, they will appear at the res you have selected in the patch program. You will definitely see the obvious difference.

• DoGgs likes this

#14 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:20 AM

Yes- works like a dream

If it works like a dream you have had to have followed certain proceedures to get to the dream stage. Few people if any over at Course Downloads got it to work without  tinkering with it. I would be very interested in the install proceedure you used. I have it on my Win 7 platform but would like to move it to Win 10. Never attempted it because of many issues that arose with people at Downloads trying to run the game in Win 10.

#15 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:38 AM

I have installed it on five Windows 10 computers for clients.  It's not an easy install by any means for "anyone" on the first try.  There are a couple of extra files, a wide screen patch and and an app called voodoo. Some of these things are not easy to be found on the net and neither cousedownloads.com or mousegolf.com can add these files to our websites without them getting a (false positive) as malicious web content rating* when search engines scan and index our sites.

* any site indexed in search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc.) by the authors of the sites would give the same rating

Players of this game most likely keep the files in Drop Box or other file repository servers. Ask that question at coursedownloads forums or people you already know who play TW08 where they got their files. I got the required files long ago and really don't remember who or where.

All the files are harmless but they do not have certifications. They were created by members/coders who play TW08 long ago when Wide Screens became popular.  The files and apps work fine on W10 but all of the apps, including the TW08's .exe files require using the Compatibility feature. All settings for these .exe files require choosing Windows Vista SP2 and choosing to run this program as administrator.

Here is a list of Security programs that consider voodoo a threat to Windows.  Again, it's a false positive.
https://www.virustot...7f187/detection

I truly hope the above information helps. It is still  a fun video golf game that has many, many features and plays super smooth on mid-level gaming machines.

#16 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

Just an additional note, before activating the widescreen patch, go into the game and set the graphic res to 800x600. Next , open the widescreen patch menu. You will see a list of games that are patchable. Highlight TW04 because no higher versions of TW are listed. Omce highlighted type the native res of the monitor or TV you are using in the box provided and click on the "patch" tab. The main screen in the game will still be at 800x600 res. The courses however will appear at the res rate you desinated in the Patcher. In the graphics section of the game it will still show the game running at 800x600 res. Do not change that. Don't worry, once in the courses, they will appear at the res you have selected in the patch program. You will definitely see the obvious difference.

There is no 800x600 in game?  weird!  In the widescreen patch there is default res option and it says change in game to 1024 x 768 but when i patch it it s says unable to patch please close all programs and games??  yet i have no games or programs open, looks like im stuck without the best res.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#17 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:08 AM

reinstalled everything and seems to work, however im not seeing the reflective water like Lee's video above..water looks terrible in my game...any ideas?

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#18 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:13 AM

Sorry about the 800x600 post. The setting in the game must be set to 800X  and the lowest secondary res that is listed in the game. Do not use the 1024x768 as your setting in the game. After doing that you can open the patcher and select TW04 from the drop down list, and then type in the resoloution you want and click on the patch tab.

• DoGgs and Abe like this

#19 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:42 AM

Sorry about the 800x600 post. The setting in the game must be set to 800X  and the lowest secondary res that is listed in the game. Do not use the 1024x768 as your setting in the game. After doing that you can open the patcher and select TW04 from the drop down list, and then type in the resoloution you want and click on the patch tab.

The Main Menu Screen will always appear as 800 x 600. No big deal there.  Everything is easy to see but is pixelated. Once the round is started the screen resolution switches to whatever you chose in the patch.

Within the Wide Screen Patch I chose 1920 x 1080 which is my screens Native Resolution.

Lot's of good help here at CDL site's forum.
http://coursedownloa...t=8879&forum=11

#20 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:53 AM

The Main Menu Screen will always appear as 800 x 600. No big deal there.  Everything is easy to see but is pixelated. Once the round is started the screen resolution switches to whatever you chose in the patch.

Within the Wide Screen Patch I chose 1920 x 1080 which is my screens Native Resolution.

Lot's of good help here at CDL site's forum.
http://coursedownloa...t=8879&forum=11

I guess that was what I tried to point out. Thanks for clarifying Lee.

• Abe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users