#21 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:28 AM

I came 64th in the 18 holer. I received $140. They have an authentic prizemoney structure. I was in the low tier group (Amateur - but I took the dough anyway!)

You can have several attempts at the round but it costs dough. It's all about money. Sort of cool. Win a hundred bucks a game by beating some sucker in the one hole shootouts - like Lee Trevino - so you can enter tourneys.

I like it.

#22 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 05:16 PM

I can't find it in the playstore on my Samsung Note10 plus. There is an Ultimate Golf but it looks nothing like the link shown.

#23 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:27 PM

It's on

Google Play

Apps

Ultimate Golf  (Synterline Sports LLC)

UG.png

#24 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:53 PM

Still can't find it. Maybe not available in the States?

#25 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:04 PM

Strange. They have a ten minute chat forum session while you wait for the hourly NTP event. People put up a little flag next to their name. The Canadian flag has been there. (I've just been on that chat and asked if it was available in the US. Couldn't get a straight answer. Probably all drunk and stoned. Lot of Canadians. I'll try again next round. They did say it was on iOS.) It's a shame. It might get to the eventually. 

Every hour they have a NTP for Amateur or Rookie. They attract a field of about 100. You have several attempts within two minutes to get closest to the pin with accumulating points. The ball can be placed anywhere from a wood shot to a bunker shot etc. The fun happens because there is 3 elimination rounds. 

The one hole shootout against a random (real) player is a basic ELO system. My dream.

Ultimate Golf seems to be the best phone app golf game out there. 

#26 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:43 AM

I was told that some guy in Florida was playing.

#27 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:08 AM

Facebook page answer:

Ultimate Golf Game We are only out in a few countries at the moment, but will be rolling out in more places VERY soon.

• Ted_Ball likes this

Who cares...

#28 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:29 AM

The ELO works so well. It's an addictive mechanism that was (is) sorely missed in PG.

The downside/upside is that your opponent is chosen randomly. It means that there is no sandbagging, if that's the word, where higher rated players would not choose to play much lower rated for fear of losing a big swag of points.

The only real negative is that it's only a one hole shootout with a tie-breaker nearest the pin. One shot. In a way that isn't so bad because you quickly play again.

I've just finished my second 18 holer - all par 4s from Banff, Whispering Pines and Wolf Creek. It's a birdiefest but some holes are tricky. Miss the green and a birdie is out. I had two bogeys (water) which crueled my prizemoney chances. The thing is you don't get to practice at any course so you're flying blind a lot.

You have to grind for club power. That's anathema for some of you purists but it certainly keeps you coming back. Another aspect that PG lacked.

#29 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:42 AM

Even though it's a phone app the graphics are solid - colourful, crisp, adequate.

There is an amount of nouse required to score well. Club selection is thought-provoking. There is a shot distance guide ( line of shot with first bounce shown) which isn't so un-real. You can zoom in and spin around the bounce point for finer aiming. Positional driving course management comes into play and things change as your clubs acquire more power.

Wind plays it's part. I don't think I've had anything over 3mph but it has an effect on some decisions. Your ability to use more backspin comes with enhanced clubs and balls.

But you need dough. The 18 holers have a highish entry fee so you need to win those ELOs to get in - although there are regular free mystery bags which always includes lucre.

#30 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:20 AM

Ted - You (and Affo) have mentioned the ELO system as something that might add a level of realism to any golf game or career mod (possibly).  Can you give us a quick explanation of how it works?

John

#31 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:35 AM

Yeah sure J.

OK. At this moment I have a rating of 90.  Each player starts at 0.

If my randomly chosen opponent is on a rating of 60 and beats me they will receive (say) 6 rating points. I will lose 6 rating points

If I beat that guy, he will lose (say) 2 points but I will only receive 2 points.

If we are both on 90 the win/loss will be 4 points. (Something like that)

In other words if a bloke at 20 beats a bloke at 140 the differential will be quite large. (I'm not sure of the exact increments.)

I've been around 80 to 90 for a while.  If you have a bad run you will drop but if you jag a few good wins against higher opponents you'll get back up quickly. The higher ranked aren't unbeatable (especially with NTP shootouts). The trick is to birdie the hole. It's not that hard. (You'd be very unlucky if they eagled a par 4.) 

In this game they have tiers. The lowest tier is 0 to 20. If I play (as a 90) in that tier - and win - I don't get any rating points. I only get money (or coins to be accurate). If the other bloke wins they will get points of course. I'm not sure if that's the case in higher tiers. By the way - entry fee is 200 coins for each Head-to-Head. Winner takes all !!!

But that's pretty much how ELO works. It's pretty tense out there.

#32 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:46 AM

Sounds as if the system is geared towards single head-to-head play.  I'm sure Affo will know how the ratings for each golfer are calulated.

Thanks, Ted.

#33 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:50 AM

I just added a bit.

Yeah, it's the way to make quick money to get into tourneys. I'd like to see more tourney play with lower entry fees. They obviously can't have group play but you can see other player's shots as they play through so you could probably play with a partner if you hit off at the same time.

#34 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 25 April 2020 - 04:01 AM

The ELO system sound like it would be better suited as an new MOP into a golf game, and not something for a career mod.

#35 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

John,

Happy to share anything and it could be used in some form for a career mode or scenario setting maybe.

• jmk59 likes this

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#36 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:12 PM

This game is remarkable.

It has many of the ideas I toyed with during the speculative times prior to the launch of PG way back then in my Rubbish thread.

It doesn't have an avatar and proves that a game doesn't need that development resource hog to be effective. The ball gets launched as if you were there standing on the tee and that strange pseudo you isn't farting around taking your eye off the game so to speak.

The ELO is the main game as far as rating yourself against other players. I have a criticism of UG's implementation though. They have tours which separate classes of experience. You can play in the lowest class from a high rating if you like but you don't earn ELO rating points - only 'coins'. I'm playing the second Tour (from the bottom) but I'm stuck on 90 ELO. I'm playing there all the time to build my bank. The criticism is that the next Tour up is too much of a jump in entry fee.

Tour 1 is 100 coins entry per one hole shootout. Tour 2 is 200 - but Tour 3 is 1000. My bank is 3500 at the moment and I don't want to risk 1000 in a one hole shootout. At Tour 2 I'm playing blokes rated at over 200 ELO and even though I beat them my rating doesn't go over 90. It's OK; I'm only in it for the money (so I can upgrade my clubs).

One interesting innovation is in the meter (as shown in the graphic in post 23). It oscillates past the ding at the top at a steady rate depending on the club. Slow for a driver but much quicker for shots from the rough for instance. The interesting thing is that each time the needle passes the ding there is a heartbeat sound. This suits my bass player's sense of timing perfectly.

But a really addictive game. I'm, globally, sitting in about position 7500 so there are plenty of people playing the game considering it hasn't been released in many countries. I've never waited longer than about 15 seconds for a head to head.

The 'golfing' is enjoyably authentic. Skill and experience required and I love grifting those higher rated blokes.

Next, I'll tell you about a great tennis app I'm playing. Who needs a high powered PC when you've got a mobile phone.

#37 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:55 AM

Sounds almost like a strategy game built around the mechanics of a golf game. - a little bit of poker built into when you try to move to the next tier.

The auditory part of the meter sound innovative.  Close your eyes and "be the ball".

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-visicom-mystartone&hsimp=yhs-mystartone&hspart=visicom&gdpr=0&p=caddyshack+%22be+the+ball%22+youtube#id=5&vid=d7af51d850a519b684b5151f442cb076&action=view

If i tried that, I'd be Danny but I still love me some wedge.

• Ted_Ball likes this

#38 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:10 PM

How desperate we have become for video golf, i guess games where you get to blow someone's face off remains king.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#39 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:19 AM

Doing a search for golf games in the mobile marketplace lead me to many, many results... all kinds of "golf" games out there and I suppose something for everyone.   PC/Console gamers can't get one decent golf game these days, but on the phone, tons! 

#40 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:15 PM

Addicted.

1000 head to heads (63% win rate) in three weeks. Played this more in a week than PG in two years.

Four tournaments so far. I'm now getting into top 50. 

Many thousands of players.

Graphics are great (I suppose). Lighting is excellent. The sea looks real. 

New content coming regularly. Just got Torrey Pines.

Good range of stats (can check everyone's stats).

Sort of an inbuilt career mode.

You earn your club upgrades. Better balls are issued. 

No need to Pay2Win.

Authentic strategic gameplay. Couse management a must. Experience counts. 

Although putting is path based over 30 feet is tough.

Very tense competition in head to head. Timed shots. No farting around.

I have never waited longer than 20 seconds for a match.

Wind has significant (but realistic) effect. 8mph at Torrey was interesting.

Fade and draw on swing gauge. Great fun.

Back spin, top spin in shot set up. 

Physics seem fine as far as I know.

No Click. Pull back and twang. Not that easy hitting the ding

Getting my golf fix for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users