62 replies to this topic

#21 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

It's funny that you mention that Joe. I just finished a beta on this and am actually conflicted on the release. I think that Foresight is using Unity now for FSX as well. A bummer to think how quickly and easily Foresight would improve their product. Obviously, a bit of hubris on my end to think that they would need it. But, from the looks of the latest emails I get from them, they need it...

Thinking TM should be nervous if I release it.

This is Abu Dhabi in FSX 2020.  :lol:  My abs hurt from laughing.

FowU7v9.png

#22 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:57 PM

I think I heard that they were either thinking about going to it or are in the process but I forget all the news about this that my friends tell me on Friday nights. I believe my two friends that I play golf with every friday night are the main Foresight Golf Course Designers. Rich and Dean who were the driving force of CustomPlay Golf/CPG2 and World Golf Challenge I believe moved to Foresight (sort of how Andrew and Mike moved to TM and brought the golf code with them). I could be wrong about a number of this but I know Brian Silvernail, BJ Weworski (pgadesertrat) and Brian Zager (BrianZ111) would know much more. Jeff Helton who doesn't really frequent this board I believe works for Foresight and BJ helps him here and there with the designs. If I'm not mistaken most of the FSX 2018 courses were converted World Golf Challenge courses that mostly Jeff Helton did from Lidar. I gave him the Lidar for most of the Minnesota courses he did.

FSX 2020 does look a bit better than 2018 but i'm still not impressed because it could look so much better. That screenshot above looks like the Customplay Golf/World Golf Challenge game us Friday nighters played for a decade I bet..lol

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#23 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:31 PM

It's funny that you mention that Joe. I just finished a beta on this and am actually conflicted on the release. I think that Foresight is using Unity now for FSX as well. A bummer to think how quickly and easily Foresight would improve their product. Obviously, a bit of hubris on my end to think that they would need it. But, from the looks of the latest emails I get from them, they need it...

DP not sure I understand.  You just finished a beta on what?  Something you built or something you played?  I can't really tell what you are referencing.  

#24 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:46 PM

This is Abu Dhabi in FSX 2020.  :lol:  My abs hurt from laughing.

FowU7v9.png

Wow - Not impressive (at all)

TW06-08 courses look at the minimum "on par" with this, and in many cases look better.

Something new in 2020 should be destroying something from 14 years ago.

#25 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

Bortimus, I was referring to the Texture Generator. It was a bit in jest but I was referencing that FSX could use my generator to update their FSX 2020 product from the 80s.

First look at the DPR Texture Generator beta

• Unique, Joe Habiger, Keith and 3 others like this

#26 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:12 PM

I feel all JoeH today. I know there's not much pity for the simulator folk but man, they are just stealing from them. This software is such an afterthought. The 1990s called and they want their game back and you're charging $3000 for new customers. Yikes! Full disclosure my FSX original at $2k in 2014-15 looked much better than this. But, when the end user doesn't have any options, what can they do?

FBThutx.jpg

• shimonko, NoPutt, SFR and 1 other like this

#27 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

Bortimus, I was referring to the Texture Generator. It was a bit in jest but I was referencing that FSX could use my generator to update their FSX 2020 product from the 80s.

First look at the DPR Texture Generator beta

Dude you seriously need to put this up on the unity store or hell make your own store and sell this. I'd buy it in a heart beat because i'm one of those as well that is texture challenged and if you look at the first version of Hazeltine you'd see..lol

• Stingreye likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#28 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

Just had a quick fly over your video. Really impressive! Must have been a lot of work and time you put on this one. 

Great visuals and variation with this masking on these dry spots.

Another BIG one!

#29 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 June 2020 - 03:24 AM

Those bunkers on the FSX one....  looks like it was painted with a texture brush.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#30 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:43 AM

Not to mention these courses can cost $499 a go. Compare that to $0 for the spectacular courses people are producing in PG.

#31 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:43 AM

#32 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:04 PM

Those bunkers on the FSX one....  looks like it was painted with a texture brush.

Again I still believe FSX is World Golf Challenge Code and although probably one of the best physic games i've played and it had an great course designer it could not achieve actual bunker lips so it looks a bit weird BUT not every golf course in real life has actual bunker lips either, and most I play in real life do not. I am not a fan of the texture used if that is what you were talking about. 

I am happy they turned off the servers for good though because I am very happy playing this game with an occational round in TGC2019.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#33 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 10 June 2020 - 02:35 AM

Extraordinary stuff DP.  Mind.  Blown.

#34 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:29 AM

Wow! DPR you have done more for the longevity of this game than anyone including the devs....So clever, just brilliant work!

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#35 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:49 AM

Uh Oh, I feel a DoGgs course acoming..........................Hopefully? 

#36 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:15 PM

Uh Oh, I feel a DoGgs course acoming..........................Hopefully?

First he has to reinstall the game and course forge

#37 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:27 AM

Looks like something even a brain-dead noob (like me) could have fun with. I'm looking up the word "Diffuse", now. lol

Can't wait to try it out...!

Amen Brother -  DPRoberts also says,  "If you can click and slide your left mouse button, you can do this."    Which mouse button is the left one ???

• DPRoberts likes this

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#38 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:00 AM

Amen Brother -  DPRoberts also says,  "If you can click and slide your left mouse button, you can do this."    Which mouse button is the left one ???

I found your "hidden" sentence!  lol

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#39 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:56 PM

Small update - I'm in the rabbit hole as always. I am prone to tangent in search of perfection and this often leads to sabotage or abandonment of an idea.

However, this idea is blossoming into my greatest contribution ever should it leave the barn.

In the quest of beautiful textures, I have developed an incredible shader that does everything I could ever hope for our 2D and 3D grass needs.

What does this mean? I made a tool to make textures. I made another thing that makes your satellite texture combine with your textures in a magical way.

But, I couldn't stop there. So, I'm attempting to incorporate it into the Layers Library so you don't have to fuss or fiddle to get the magic yourself.

What should come of this nonsense? An update to your CF menu system, a free texture generator, and a free shader specifically designed for our needs.

The shader and generator are done. The CF modifying is underway.

#40 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:00 PM

Current shader concept on material in Unity (Naming and ordering of things will slightly change for simplicity)

AzAQlGT.png

Layers Library modification - not yet up to date with latest shader

kblyY9H.png

• Jugador, bortimus, BSilvernail and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users