62 replies to this topic

#41 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

I will hopefully post a video this weekend to show it in action. Still pictures don't do it full justice.

#42 erwildcat

erwildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPiedmont North Carolina

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

DPRoberts, thank you for your dedication to this game. You have made a tremendous difference. 
  • DPRoberts likes this

ASUS Microsoft Windows 11 Home, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s),  (RAM) 16.0 GB

#43 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:24 PM

Great work DP!

#44 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

DPRoberts You are an ICON !!!

50101128973_f98c5b03bd_o.jpg2020-07-11 15_51_18-Clint Eastwood - The Last Icon - GQ Magazine - March 1993 at Amazon's Entertainm by Jim Smyth, on Flickr

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#45 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:26 PM

Little video update to show the DPR UV free Overlay Combo Shader in effect. Next step is trying to get it all injected into the PP code to auto-propagate on the meshes. Once that is done, I'll probably re-publish Scioto with it so we can demo FPS impact and go from there.

r61hcEh.jpg

• Keith, bortimus, BSilvernail and 4 others like this

#46 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:31 PM

Little video update to show the DPR UV free Overlay Combo Shader in effect. Next step is trying to get it all injected into the PP code to auto-propagate on the meshes. Once that is done, I'll probably re-publish Scioto with it so we can demo FPS impact and go from there.

r61hcEh.jpg

Unbelievable! Great job!

#47 BSilvernail

BSilvernail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Florida

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:13 AM

Amazing work! This looks incredible and I look forward to playing around with it. I don't think you can be thanked enough for all your expertise and taking time to share it with us through tutorials and tools like this. You've really taken the Course Forge to a completely different level.

• DPRoberts likes this

#48 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

We are getting closer and closer to basically photo-like realism here. I just hope the learning curve won't be too difficult.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#49 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:37 AM

DP

You might as well be speaking in Esperanto to me as I have no idea what on earth you are saying but it looks to a neanderthal like me a way to create even better looking courses, increasing the lifespan of this game (hopefully) then I for one applaud you by bagging my two sticks together as still not figured out a way to create fire here yet :D 

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#50 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

Out of interest DP, has Mike or anyone else from Trackman been in touch with you about using any of these things more officially in their own course builds?  You really should be rewarded for your dedication in helping to keep this version of their software going.

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#51 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:14 AM

I'm hoping this will be useful for spicing up layers on non-overlay courses.

• DPRoberts likes this

#52 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:31 AM

Its going to put an end to playing golf outside of the house all the country clubs etc will close ... 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#53 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:34 AM

You can use it in a similar manner. You would tile a texture at a real large value to act as your "base" instead of the satellite. And then, you have 2 textures to build on that with 2 normals and mowlines if desired.

The plus over the current Layers would then be your far view and above view would be a less tiled look. Your zoomed in view can look better or similar to the current depending on your skills.

If you don't want to use this and just use the traditional Layers library as well, just the texture generator alone can produce a pretty good look over stock textures.
  • IanK and jt83 like this

#54 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:37 AM

Its going to put an end to playing golf outside of the house all the country clubs etc will close ...

Yep. Either me or coronavirus. It was bound to happen eventually.

Ready Player 1?

#55 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:04 AM

Here's a quick non-overlay view with the Shader on the FAIRWAY ONLY - using a DPR generated texture as the base and some DPR generated mowlines, Diffuse channel is our Ground 2 texture, Detail texture is a grass texture I use a fair bit and normals are Grass Normal that comes with CF, I believe

Bird's eye

5pOd7uk.png

Up Close

bW6JvO5.jpg

Ultimately, a course can probably achieve its most "realistic" look with a combination of methods. I still think old school overlay method is king for rough periphery and 3DG at the moment. But, if I can get 3DG to color with my shader, I might change my opinion

• Keith, IanK and Dropzone73 like this

#56 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:10 AM

You can also add splines to grunge up...here though I'm using a grunge layer as the base and the a cleaner layer over it...

Still non-overlay

Bird's eye (tiling not so terrible)

wMQnfSd.png

Up Close

DLVUVhe.jpg

But, I would use this as its own spline material so you could have a clean version and on hills or valleys where balls collect, you just circle a spline with this grungier version

• IanK likes this

#57 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:09 AM

Yep. Either me or coronavirus. It was bound to happen eventually.

Ready Player 1?

I'd love that...I would literally "live" in the Oasis. lol

• DPRoberts likes this

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#58 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:53 PM

Are you still working on this DPRoberts?

#59 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:30 PM

I guess no?  :mellow:

#60 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:06 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if DP had been approached by Trackman to put his obvious skills to use for them directly but I could of course be entirely wrong. 

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users