#1 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:08 PM

i have been keeping track of the numbers playing the game.

and it is not good. not one time so far today has it gotten above 40 and it seems

to be in the 30s all the time anymore in the daytime, cept on the weekends which it is higher

but i can't remember the last time i saw it above 100, hell above 70 looks like we might be a dying breed

here with this game. i think if that new game would have put in a 3c meter this game would be done.

really to bad it had so much room it could have grown but just never did.

• Buck likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

I'm not personally in the 2K21 camp yet (will wait for a big sale before trying it honestly)...but from what I'm seeing, I think it's likely more than good enough to pull away a large chunk of who's left here (even without 3C).

I agree with you Dave.  If they had put in 3C, it'd be game over for sure I'd say.

The real problem with migration to 2K21 in any meaningful numbers is that course development will eventually totally dry up - if it hasn't already.

I mean - if it weren't for the 3rd party courses, even I would have long ago left (not even sure to "what" at this point).

• Parboy likes this

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:00 PM

I sure would love to have a bit of a behind the scenes "tell all" from Mike or Andrew some day.

It would be interesting to know if there ever were hopeful plans for PG2 after the Trackman acquisition or if those threads/posts asking us for "features we'd like to see in PG2" were all just total BS to keep us at bay and potentially string along other buyers and make them jump at buying a copy of PG1, thinking there was a roadmap and future product coming.

(PG1 sales, to this day, I'd imagine might be money that goes only to Mike/Andrew)

• Parboy likes this

#4 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:11 PM

For me, the only thing that is sad is the way they just totally ditched their fan/player base.   They could have easily made an announcement that the game was sold, no longer going to be updated, or anything coming in the future...  but then again, who are we to them personally?   Nobody.   They made their money, good for them, so we are left with a shell of game that is half decent enough to play.   I have also noticed the course design slowing down too.. its pretty much the only thing I check in from time to time.  

• Parboy and ✠ davef ✠ like this

#5 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:17 PM

They could have easily made an announcement that the game was sold, no longer going to be updated, or anything coming in the future.. 

True and I agree

The cynical part of me thinks maybe they didn't want to say anything like that to keep any remaining possible sales of PG1 rolling in (presumably directly to them alone and not Trackman)

#6 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:33 PM

I still say PG had the right idea and with a career mode and all the bells and whistles it would have been unbeatable but it doesn't and most have moved on and unfortunately I have also but I will eventually play some again. Today I played in two society events on the PC side and one I shot 5 over in the first round and was in 134th place with the leader at 6 under and there were over 350 in the field. Thats a lot of players and not even the biggest Society and the fact that my Ani has a different outfit for every round and name brand equipment helps. If PC has that many players console is probably unreal as that's the big seller. Again PG could have been the bomb.
  • ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#7 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:24 AM

If they cared they would half the asking price on steam and throw a disclaimer that the game is no longer being developed. Buyer beware.
  • ✠ davef ✠, erwildcat, RobV and 3 others like this

#8 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:15 AM

Hey I bought this game when it first came out and played the heck out of it. I paid, idk, 40 bucks? I got my moneys worth out of it and still intend to play it as I have always, solo against the computer listening to classical music.

• SReesor, Riddler and ScottL48 like this

#9 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:23 AM

True and I agree

The cynical part of me thinks maybe they didn't want to say anything like that to keep any remaining possible sales of PG1 rolling in (presumably directly to them alone and not Trackman)

I think they just used us (by giving us hope that there never was) to easily and cost freely collect ideas for the new Trackman simulator.

PG1 was a different product so I don't see they wanted to remain its' sales by asking PG2 wish list. To remain PG1 sales they kept quiet in Steam about the situation.

Money talks bullshit walks. How can bullshit walk? :D

• Parboy and Buck like this

#10 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:25 AM

Mike Jones

Member Since 08 Aug 2012
OFFLINE Last Active Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Check this once in awhile and Mike comes on at least a few times a week.  I assume to make sure the  posts stay within the websites guidelines?  What ever that might be.

Andrew was last here July 20, 2020.  Not assuming anything, just pointing out the facts.

#11 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:34 AM

Hey, I just want to say that this game for me was the best value for money ever. Even if the time was limited with it.

I could make my dream come true with simulator use and play my home courses at winter time. Just great.

So, no hard feeligs for anybody. Just telling the facts.

And that's why I wanted to share this positive fact too.

Only the end of this first episode wasn't so happy.

• Greensboronclion and Riddler like this

#12 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:02 AM

gamers never forget. the Jones reputation will follow them should they ever create another golf game.  platitudes and gratitude mean nothing versus the almighty dollar 

• RobV likes this

#13 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

PG has just stagnated with the lack of updates but don't be fooled into thinking TGC is the answer, the more i play the more annoyances i see.  The OP wind and roll out has seen it revert back to the original game.  I tied a career event last night...no play off!  i knew this but it was no less bitter a pill to swallow when it happens and in a triple A game!  its not acceptable really is it, you could overlook things like that if it was still retailing at £25.  Another annoyance is when i reduce the aim marker for partials i notice animation spikes when the mocapped avatar is factoring in a partial swing to what looks like a full swing, every time i do this  i hit a fast, its unavoidable unless you are only going quite small on the partial, any large adjustments and it seems to kick in...hate it!  and of course we still have the tempo that you just cannot fathom a fast from a slow...still!  

• Greensboronclion likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#14 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:27 PM

There is no perfect game and I agree that the lack of a playoff which would be very difficult to do would be nice but no idea how it would work. The swing is maddening but I am learning more by the day and if I could take the PG RTS swing to 2K21 it would be great. Still love PG but I need more and it's not there but I guess when I do pick it up again it will be more enjoyable than playing everyday.
  • RobV likes this

#15 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLake Huron, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 August 2020 - 04:41 PM

I echo the sentiment expressed by calvin_de_beverly above. I joined/paid for this game late, enjoyed it immesely, dabbled with design, and loved that as well, stopped two years ago, entering semi-retirement and working in CF again. I was never here to play competitively, and never worried too much about the avatar, and lived with the compromise on swing mechanics between irons/hybrids/'woods' and chipping pitching and still doesn;t bother me, but then again, I'm not a great player IRL either so the inconsistency in the game from my lack of skill reflects my real world game. 

I know I am in the minority here, and never played Links or other golf games for that matter, I just stumbled across this game by chance and I am glad I did. What I spent on this game and 'paid' for assets to use in Unity and CF is but a drop in the bucket compared to what I have spent on a few pints after a round a golf in the 19th. Value for the spend on PG can be viewed differently and I respect everyone's opinions. 

I will continue to play solo on my favourite courses and spend countless hours working on my own courses that I create for my own enjoyment. In the past two years some incredible advancements have been introduced by some incredibly talented designers working within CF. I could spend years learning and applying these new techniques and applying them to designs. 

Regarding the frustrations over communications from Mike and Andrew - again, I have been on both sides of this type of situation in my working career and can only sympathize with everyone's position - including what we may or may not know about Mike/Andrew's sale/contract and NDA/non-compete that may exist with Trackman. 

Ultimately - I will continue to play solo and design/create virtual landscapes with a playable 'game' imbedded within until such time as it is not possible. 

• remers and Greensboronclion like this

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

I know I am in the minority here, and never played Links or other golf games for that matter, 

PG is the only golf game you've ever played?

You should definitely consider poking around and trying out some older games (Links, TW08, TW14, even PGA 2000) and should for sure check out 2K21 to see if that might be your jam too.

There have been some incredible releases over the decades.

I love PG - but if it's truly the only thing you've ever played, you are missing out big time.

• Greensboronclion likes this

#17 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:01 PM

I've played them all since Leaderboard way back when.  PG was the best by far for realism and beauty of the courses.  Links 2003 was second best an excellent game for the time.

• Keith, erwildcat, RobV and 1 other like this

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:02 PM

I've played them all since Leaderboard way back when.  PG was the best by far for realism and beauty of the courses.

IMO - Rory, with that Frostbite lighting, had a realism and graphics presentation that PG doesn't have.

Nothing has touched the swing methods, particularly the RTS options, of PG though for sure.

#19 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:37 PM

I am a video golf game junky and have owned them all and will in the future also. I remember going to somewhere like Office Depot to buy Links 2003 and returning for the extra courses also. They all had something from Links to PGA 2000 and the Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear 6. PG was and is the best swing mechanic ever IMHO but I played Links the longest for almost 20 years and still pull it out once in a while. Try them all you won't be disappointed.

#20 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:03 PM

I am a video golf game junky and have owned them all and will in the future also. I remember going to somewhere like Office Depot to buy Links 2003 and returning for the extra courses also. They all had something from Links to PGA 2000 and the Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear 6. PG was and is the best swing mechanic ever IMHO but I played Links the longest for almost 20 years and still pull it out once in a while. Try them all you won't be disappointed.

I can't believe I forgot Golden Bear Challenge - oh man..

My uncle and I played the HELL out of that game .... tons of fun

• erwildcat and Greensboronclion like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users