65 replies to this topic

#21 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:43 PM

It is sad. I have kind of jumped on the 2K21 bandwagon as well. I think that I will give PG a go this morning though.

#22 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:11 PM

I can't believe I forgot Golden Bear Challenge - oh man..

My uncle and I played the HELL out of that game .... tons of fun

It's always forgotten it seems but it was a lot of fun to play it. I have a laptop with Links on it and I might try and find a copy of it and PGA 2000 just to fool around with.

#23 sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 04:15 PM

I loved PGA2000.

Had a real swing based on tempo.

• Buck, slouis and ScottL48 like this

#24 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:05 AM

You can play 2k21 as a 2 click if you turn off the tempo. All you have to do is pull the stick back far enough to initiate the backswing and the ani will complete the backswing on it's own. Just nudge the stick forward to complete the swing when desired power is reached.

The short game has no feel to it as seems they don't want you to be able to control the ani in real time. Then the way they have the distances set for each club and shot type eliminates the need for partial shots that are near impossible to play anyway. LW chip would be lucky to hit more than 20 ft. You can dial in pitch shots by increments  with club selection up to 120 yards. Their new Splash shot you can play from the fairway stops on a dime even out of the rough. But you can still chip out of the bunkers.

Don't think they'll ever get away from that dial a distance mentality. The only thing I found that has improved is tee to green play as playing percentage shots has gotten better. Short game still sucks with the way they force you into playing with a fast backswing.

I suppose you can tell I'm not a big fan. For a game that's analog only it plays more like a analog click to me.

• Buck, worrybirdie and GodZilla like this

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#25 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:03 AM

I loved PGA2000.

Had a real swing based on tempo.

PGA 2000 was the first game to have a mouse swing, True Swing, a big step forward for golf games.  It also had other features like being able to see all three of your playing partners in a foursome if you were standing in the right spot.  You could move your avatar to get a different view.  In addition there were canned animations and comments that you could activate for your avatar by hitting a hot key.  

I still have it and may try to install it on my old Windows 7 computer one of these days.  I have TW 08 installed on that computer and in my opinion it is a more complete and realistic game than TGC 2019 even though it was released in 2007.  Once 2k21 goes on sale I'll check it out.

• GodZilla likes this

RTSM - Pro

#26 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:35 AM

PGA 2000 was the first game to have a mouse swing, True Swing, a big step forward for golf games.  It also had other features like being able to see all three of your playing partners in a foursome if you were standing in the right spot.  You could move your avatar to get a different view.  In addition there were canned animations and comments that you could activate for your avatar by hitting a hot key.  

I still have it and may try to install it on my old Windows 7 computer one of these days.  I have TW 08 installed on that computer and in my opinion it is a more complete and realistic game than TGC 2019 even though it was released in 2007.  Once 2k21 goes on sale I'll check it out.

Hmmmm I thought The Golf Pro released in 1998 was the first game with mouse swing.   I dont think I have ever played PGA2000 as I was already a big Links fan for many years before that, but would not mind trying it.   do you know if it is still available anywhere for download?

#27 BrianZ111

BrianZ111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

Front Page Sports: Golf in 1997 was the first game in the "PGA series" developed by Headgate for Sierra and it was the first to have a mouse swing as far as I know.  I was a Jack Nicklaus player before that and the FPS: Golf mouse swing hooked me to where I could never go back even though it didn't have a course designer.  They added a course designer and got the PGA of America license for PGA '99 and then PGA '00 was the last game before Headgate went to EA to develop the TW series.

You can download PGA 2000 from my website here:  http://www.golfsimcl...0/utilities.htm

One of the major Windows update patches for Windows 10 last year caused major graphical issues (http://www.golfsimcl....php?f=5&t=1137) so it doesn't work so well on Windows 10 anymore if you are fully updated.  I have it installed on a Windows 7 machine, it runs fine there.

• RobV likes this

#28 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

You can download PGA 2000 from my website here:  http://www.golfsimcl...0/utilities.htm

One of the major Windows update patches for Windows 10 last year caused major graphical issues (http://www.golfsimcl....php?f=5&t=1137) so it doesn't work so well on Windows 10 anymore if you are fully updated.  I have it installed on a Windows 7 machine, it runs fine there.

Thanks for the link Brian, appreciate it!    As far as the graphical issues, have you tried using the dgVoodoo 2 utility?  dgVoodoo 2 is a wrapper for old graphics API's for Windows Vista/7/8/10.   I could not get Links 2k to work on my Win10 machine that I recently built, but installed this utility and now the game works great.   

Edit: I read on that thread you posted someone tried it and did not have any luck. 

#29 rockerrob79

rockerrob79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:04 AM

I can't believe I forgot Golden Bear Challenge - oh man..

My uncle and I played the HELL out of that game .... tons of fun

Mean 18.

#30 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:42 PM

Mean 18.

https://www.myabando...game/mean-18-8i

• RobV likes this

#31 BrianZ111

BrianZ111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the link Brian, appreciate it!    As far as the graphical issues, have you tried using the dgVoodoo 2 utility?  dgVoodoo 2 is a wrapper for old graphics API's for Windows Vista/7/8/10.   I could not get Links 2k to work on my Win10 machine that I recently built, but installed this utility and now the game works great.   

Edit: I read on that thread you posted someone tried it and did not have any luck. 

Sorry for the late reply.  I set this thread to give me e-mail notifications on new posts but apparently that's not working here anymore.

I haven't tried anything myself as I have it running on a Windows 7 machine.  I think it has to do with DirectDraw and something Windows 10 removed in the July 2019 update.  Somebody told me that the same thing happened to Golden Bear Challenge on Windows 10 at the same time.  I haven't seen any solutions but I haven't really actively looked either so if you hear of something, let me know. Probably lucky that there aren't Windows 7 updates anymore or it probably would have had the same problem there too.

#32 GodZilla

GodZilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:59 AM

You can play 2k21 as a 2 click if you turn off the tempo. All you have to do is pull the stick back far enough to initiate the backswing and the ani will complete the backswing on it's own. Just nudge the stick forward to complete the swing when desired power is reached.

The short game has no feel to it as seems they don't want you to be able to control the ani in real time. Then the way they have the distances set for each club and shot type eliminates the need for partial shots that are near impossible to play anyway. LW chip would be lucky to hit more than 20 ft. You can dial in pitch shots by increments  with club selection up to 120 yards. Their new Splash shot you can play from the fairway stops on a dime even out of the rough. But you can still chip out of the bunkers.

Don't think they'll ever get away from that dial a distance mentality. The only thing I found that has improved is tee to green play as playing percentage shots has gotten better. Short game still sucks with the way they force you into playing with a fast backswing.

I suppose you can tell I'm not a big fan. For a game that's analog only it plays more like a analog click to me.

you nailed it! It's better on PC with mouse swing but still not as good as Links 2003 or PG real time swing. It's a cheap and lazy way to make us think we're playing real time swing golf. HB won't get away with it forever because more people are screaming give us a true real time swing so we can play a slower back swing for short game. Hitting a 75% pitch shot sucks in 2k21.

#33 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:47 AM

Sorry for the late reply.  I set this thread to give me e-mail notifications on new posts but apparently that's not working here anymore.

I haven't tried anything myself as I have it running on a Windows 7 machine.  I think it has to do with DirectDraw and something Windows 10 removed in the July 2019 update.  Somebody told me that the same thing happened to Golden Bear Challenge on Windows 10 at the same time.  I haven't seen any solutions but I haven't really actively looked either so if you hear of something, let me know. Probably lucky that there aren't Windows 7 updates anymore or it probably would have had the same problem there too.

Like you, the first golf game I had with a mouse swing was PGA 2000 and think it is the only way to play computer golf.  I still have TW 08 installed on my Win 7 computer and the mouse swing there, Tru-Swing is pretty good.  

I bought 2K21 a few weeks ago when it was on sale and PG is a more realistic and satisfying game even in it's present state.  There are  about 4 or 5 things that I would like to see added or updated in PG.  The ability to create your own avatar like they have in 2K21 and Tw08.  Improve the save game function so you can have more than one round saved at a time.  Tweak the effects of cross winds and side hill lies.

For 2K21 I have over a dozen suggestions some of which are major and would require that part of the game  be re-programmed.  The short game is an absolute joke and borders on fantasy.  It really isn't a very good golf simulation and the developers are much more interested in adding flashy non-golf features than fixing the issues.  There aren't even pot bunkers after 4 versions.  I just got approved for the HB forum and have been debating whether I should post my comments about 2K21 because they are not very complimentary.  Typical of HB they don't even have a 2K21 forum yet even though it was released in July.

I don't how many people are still buying PG because it is such low profile but for you newbies there are some real community course gems from the early days of course forge.  Two of my favourite fictional courses are The Old Warden, and Heritage Coast Club. 

RTSM - Pro

#34 Rackme32

Rackme32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:06 AM

Seeing all these old golf games are being brought up reminds me of the old Jack Nicklaus 4 and (I think) JN6, which appeared on the shelves and was quickly pulled.  Anyone know what happened there?

After posting this, I wiki'd...  No mention of JN7 at all.  JN6 only sold 20,000 copies despite mostly excellent reviews...    So, who knows what happened...  I definitely remember seeing the game, but not having the bux at the time...  Going back to the same store after payday, no JN7... and it never showed up again.

Went to Digital Storm and ordered me up a nice gaming machine :)

Intel i3 chip at 3.9G

16 gig DDR4 RAM

GeForce 970 GTX 4gig vid card

240G SSD

1TB HD

Windows 10

It's HERE!!  JNPG runs great with all the bells and whistles at max or close to it...  I still turn 3D render off for the swing, tho.

#35 Rackme32

Rackme32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:20 AM

I think I'm wrong on the Jack Niacklaus golf game versions.

There was a Jack Nicklaus 4, then a JN6 which was quite good for the time...  JN7 was the one that came out very very briefly, then disappeared from the shelves before I had a chance to buy .

After that was when I swtiched over to the Links franchise, I think starting with '99.

I'd still be curious to find out why JN7 disappeared so quickly.

Intel i3 chip at 3.9G

16 gig DDR4 RAM

240G SSD

1TB HD

Windows 10

It's HERE!!  JNPG runs great with all the bells and whistles at max or close to it...  I still turn 3D render off for the swing, tho.

#36 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:00 AM

There was a JN5 and then JN6 Golden Bear Challenge. I had both.

I don't remember a JN7.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#37 scajjr29

scajjr29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 22 December 2020 - 03:20 PM

This wiki page has all the info on all the JN games

https://en.wikipedia...cklaus_(series)

sam

Desktop- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro cooler, 32Gb DDR4-3600, ASUS 6900XT LC Hybrid, Corsair MP600 1Tb PCIe 4 NVMe (x 2), 850 EVO 1Tb, Corsair 750Gb SSDs & Hitachi 3Tb HDD ,EVGA 1000PG PSU,Monoprice 27772 32" 4K HDR monitor x2,Windows 10 Pro x64, Salient Arch Linux

Laptop- Eluktronics (Clevo) P670RS-G  i7-6700HQ, 32Gb DDR4, 512Gb & 256Gb NVMe SSDs, GTX 1070 8Gb graphics, 17.3" 1080p G-Sync, Win 10 Pro x64,

XBox One X 1Tb w/2Tb external HDD, PS4 Pro 1Tb w/1Tb external HDD

#38 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:47 AM

This wiki page has all the info on all the JN games

https://en.wikipedia...cklaus_(series)

sam

So, JN7 is PG?  

#39 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:49 AM

I'm not sure why PG was linked to the old JN series games; I don't they think really have anything to do with each other apart from having Nicklaus' name on it.

• Crusher likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#40 Rackme32

Rackme32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:08 AM

I looked at the above Wiki page...  Nothing on there about it.  BTW, now I remember having also had JN5.  Never had the JN Online Golf Tour, tho.

I definitely remember seeing a JN7 that super-quickly disappeared, or maybe there was an announcement of an upcoming JN7 (something like a year or two after JN6 came out) that never really happened, and I misread that advertisement.

That wiki article seems pretty darned detailed, so maybe I'm just remembering some other golf game incorrectly.  I was playing the Links series during the same time period as JN4-6, so maybe that's it... 

Intel i3 chip at 3.9G

16 gig DDR4 RAM

240G SSD

1TB HD

Windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users