#21 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2022 - 10:45 PM

I am not going to hold my breath waiting for an adult golf simulation. Development of a reasonably priced platform that is actually true to the sport of Golf, would not generate enough interest to make it profitable for any company to undertake such a venture. I play with many low handicap advid golfers who show little or no interest in supporting any kind of a video golf simulation or game if you will. I totaly agree that the 2K21 game was loaded with a lot of features no one wants or even uses. The 2K23 might feature some new little wrinkles but nothing dramatic. Forget about having more control of the game as far as creating your own tourney's  or players Pro or Other. The 2K23 Platform itself will be in the computer version a little more demanding on your system, meaning that certain visual features might require a down adjustment. One of the Developer Spokesman noted that courses played on the 2K21 Platform would be playable in 2K23 but might require some tweaking? I am sure that the 2K23 version (Oct. 14 release date) will be again focused on Online Tournament Play. Same old baby, different diaper.

• Buck and RobV like this

#22 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:05 PM

Good to see the series continuing.

I'm personally more excited to see the EA game in the Spring, as I think that will be a true next gen game.

Of course, we need to see how the gameplay is.

I'm really hoping the EA crew learned their lessons from the Rory flop and reverts to some of the inspirations behind the TW 11-14 games, which were each largely excellent I thought.

To the best of my knowlege, and I know that you will correct me if I am mistaken, the last year that EA provided a Course Architect was in the TW 2006 release. If it were not for the Course Downloads Community who successfully was able to tweak the 06 Architect making it possible for custom course designs to be played in both the TW 07 & TW 08. This Community is still very active solely because of that. I personally will never buy another EA Golf Platform because of the CA hijack they pulled in the  TW 07 release. I want total control of my Players, Courses & Tournaments. Links 2K3 has it, and after 20 years still has a Community that actively supports the 2K3 Platform.

• Greensboronclion likes this

#23 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:23 PM

To the best of my knowlege, and I know that you will correct me if I am mistaken, the last year that EA provided a Course Architect was in the TW 2006 release. If it were not for the Course Downloads Community who successfully was able to tweak the 06 Architect making it possible for custom course designs to be played in both the TW 07 & TW 08. This Community is still very active solely because of that. I personally will never buy another EA Golf Platform because of the CA hijack they pulled in the  TW 07 release. I want total control of my Players, Courses & Tournaments. Links 2K3 has it, and after 20 years still has a Community that actively supports the 2K3 Platform.

Probably true.

I honestly just don’t care about course designer aspect anymore.

Obviously for a lot of games it adds a ton of longevity and variety, but I’m also just fine playing a good roster of 30 to 40 really well done first party courses. I recognize I’m probably in the minority on that.

#24 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:59 AM

Right, but none of what you want in PG is happening, so not sure what the point of mentioning this again...  After a few years of NO golf games, at least this going to be a modern game..  Not saying I am going to buy it, but at the very least, keep an eye on it..  

I'm afraid PG is history, and there are not going to be any updates or mods for it. Many attempts have been made to lure either Mike or AJ (or both) to respond to pleas for a new rendition of PG (PG2 ?) or to allow PG to be modded. Neither have been successful and it's just not going to happen. Those still playing PG will just have to be content with the game as is until such time as they are ready to move on.

• Buck and RobV like this
Ken

#25 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:36 AM

I'm afraid PG is history, and there are not going to be any updates or mods for it. Many attempts have been made to lure either Mike or AJ (or both) to respond to pleas for a new rendition of PG (PG2 ?) or to allow PG to be modded. Neither have been successful and it's just not going to happen. Those still playing PG will just have to be content with the game as is until such time as they are ready to move on.

I totally agree with your coments in regards to no future for revival for the PG Platform, Ken. Sad ending to what appeared at one time to be very promising.

• KenR and cajuncapgun like this

#26 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:19 PM

Well, its funny how they responded to PGLS and the whole "F2 cheating controversy", so Mike/Andrew did respond to that... and what was called a "fix" wasn't really a fix at all... it helped for the tournaments, but every time the AI hits into a hazard, F2 no longer works and have to close down PG, and restart the game.   Its ok though, I wasn't expecting anything more, especially given what you mentioned above...  PG is history...  Agree. 

• KenR and Buck like this

#27 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 26 September 2022 - 05:21 PM

Same old baby, different diaper.

Better than the Trackman diaper PP left us all with innit

• RobV likes this

#28 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2022 - 11:34 PM

Probably true.

I honestly just don’t care about course designer aspect anymore.

Obviously for a lot of games it adds a ton of longevity and variety, but I’m also just fine playing a good roster of 30 to 40 really well done first party courses. I recognize I’m probably in the minority on that.

I respect your point of view on the course aspect. When you say first party courses, I asume you are talking about Stock courses included in the platform or others that you can purchase that the Developers have created right? Personally, the Custom courses created by the Community Members in comparison to what the Platform  Architects attempt to promote is visually not even a comparison. This is true in every golf game or simulation if you will, that allows custom designs to be introduced into that platform. Taking 30 or 40  of Developer Courses and comparing them to 30 or 40 of the best Community custom designs in any golf platform past or present, Custom Designs would rule big time. Personally, I look for courses that are visually the best they can be. Meaning, imagination in design, realistic color and textures smoothly blended in transition from heavy rough to collars around the greens. Simetry in the planting of trees, shrubs and flowers and no cloned crap. I think that visualization is a gift one is born with. Some designers have that gift, others not so much. That is what seperates the great designs from rest. A lot of the rest might be good but they just are not exceptional.

#29 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 08:41 PM

I actually enjoy course design as much, if not more, than I do playing but the game has to be worth designing for.

I’ve watched a few videos of 2K23 and I’m not really that impressed. They have made improvements to the ball flight but apart from that it just looks like a patched 2K21 and at this stage I’ve not seen any videos of the course designer in action. It doesn’t look like they’ve made £60-£100 worth of improvements, so I’ll wait until I see it on offer.

• Buck likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#30 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 07 October 2022 - 04:35 PM

18% off at Green Man Gaming. 

• IanK likes this

#31 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 06:06 PM

18% off at Green Man Gaming. 

It looks like they only sell Steam & Xbox games. I’d prefer PS5.

• Tigers Agent likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#32 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 10 October 2022 - 02:18 AM

It's wonderful to see the evolution of Man according to HB Studios or whatever they are now. From a stumpy-legged neanderthal-like, humpback with a crooked left arm to a semi-human scooby-do fool with a crooked left arm to something that sort of looks and swings like a human being but might become an annoying little member with those 'emotions'!! Left arm is straight. At last.

3-Click.  Carumba!  

Waiting to see what the multiplayer experience is like.

• Jugador and RobV like this

#33 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 13 October 2022 - 06:30 AM

It's wonderful to see the evolution of Man according to HB Studios or whatever they are now. From a stumpy-legged neanderthal-like, humpback with a crooked left arm to a semi-human scooby-do fool with a crooked left arm to something that sort of looks and swings like a human being but might become an annoying little member with those 'emotions'!! Left arm is straight. At last.

3-Click.  Carumba!  

Waiting to see what the multiplayer experience is like.

I watched a multi player match today on YouTube with the early release players and it looked pretty smooth and much better than I expected.   Looking forward to trying it myself on Friday and the interface for it much better and easier to get match.

#34 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:25 AM

It's hard to get excited.

• Buck likes this

#35 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2022 - 02:50 AM

It's hard to get excited.

Specially for me since I detest Online Play. Too many Morons to contend with.

• Buck likes this

#36 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 October 2022 - 02:11 AM

I had a feeling about what would happen once 2K23 was released. The whole Steam 2K23 Forum is loaded with complaints about crashes and other bugs which already have raised their ugly heads. What I am relating are issues that apply to the PC version. Not sure what issues exist with the console version. I honestly think that some of the problems are due to computer strength, either related to lack of Ram, Video Card, or Processor. One other thing I never gave a lot of thought to until I read a post from a guy at Steam saying that he had spent hundreds of hours on the 2K21 platform trying to perfect some kind of consistantsy in the golf swing. He is only playing on Pro Level. My first thought was that his mouse and not him might be the problem. I am myself using a Logitech Gaming Mouse, not the most expensive but a very good one. This mouse let's me control DPI's and other functions to smoothen out the golf swing in 2K21. Tweaking the mouse made a considerable difference in the smoothness of the swing as well as improved club control when playing at Master level. Overall conclusion of 2K23 for me is that there are not improvements offered to justify upgrading to the new platform. Simply put, the cost of any of the three versions are way out of line with what is being offered. A lot of the items including parts of the 2K21 interface were just transfered over to the 2K23 platform

#37 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 18 October 2022 - 04:51 AM

A patch was put out on launch day that corrected the crash issue and some other bugs.  No doubt there are bugs but expect many patches and updates in coming weeks but we saw that with PG and many games this happens.  PGA Tour 2K23 not going to please everyone especially the graphic fanatics but for me it's always been gameplay first and graphics 2nd but hey that's just me.

#38 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:03 AM

A patch was put out on launch day that corrected the crash issue and some other bugs.  No doubt there are bugs but expect many patches and updates in coming weeks but we saw that with PG and many games this happens.  PGA Tour 2K23 not going to please everyone especially the graphic fanatics but for me it's always been gameplay first and graphics 2nd but hey that's just me.

I'm afraid I happen to be one who is a graphic fanatic, but like you the game play has to be first rate. This platform is not cheap on the upper end so one should expect more than just average gameplay. A friend has this game (PC) version so I fooled around with it for a couple of hours. To be honest, I noticed very little if any gameplay improvement that would entice me to update to the 2k23 platform. I also have to mention that the bugs are considerably more than just some other bugs. Furthermore the patch released did not correct all the crash issues people were having for numerous reasons.

• Buck likes this

#39 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:14 AM

If they ever do a new engine some day I will have a go again.

I’m just sort of done with all the new coats of paint on the same old HB house at this point.

#40 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 18 October 2022 - 02:06 PM

talkin shit about a current golf game in an abandoned golf game forum.. classy. :rolleyes:

• fungolfer and Ted_Ball like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users