#221 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

Thanks Mick... was actually looking for No-Putt's videos, but as it turns out I managed to remember my way through without them :)

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#222 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

I must have been mucking about with YouTube and deleted the video.

I think I have a copy and will repost when I locate it.  A lot has changed since

Unity 4, I think that is why I took it down.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#223 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Don't worry about it.... I happened to bluff my way back into things. For some really stupid reason I deleted my old test project when I moved over to Unity 5.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#224 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

I am trying to create my own grass in Photoshop 7.

i am familiar with Photoshop but I am not familiar

with the "AlphaUtility" plug-in I'm trying to use here.(post #96)

I am following the K11 instructions from this topic

post #98, Below are the steps I'm taking.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong? Or if

this can be done with PS7?

mow0zCI.jpgkcAG6Rr.jpgO9nA9Yi.jpg

ntr0tFG.jpg

dfszytY.jpgWFymepP.jpgDsrzvJ9.jpg8p970EI.jpgThanks

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#225 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

What file type are you saving your file as?

If you save the file without a background you can save it as a png file. If you have a background on the grass object (ie the white area) you will have to include an alpha channel for the grass and save as a tga or similar.

#226 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

Saving as .PSD, I don't think .PNG supports multiple layers or alpha

channels. I can get halfway decent grass by just drawing it and 

adding an alpha channel, but I wish to use the outer beveling

which is supposed to be accomplished with the Plug-in in (post #96).

to get better detail. I'm not familiar with the AlphaUtility plugin and just

use the default settings when clicking "Dialate Many Times".

I'll keep mucking about and hopefully luck into something.

Thanks

#227 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

If you have no luck here's what I do, starting with the layer 0 image you have in your first pic:

1. Ctrl-click the layer 0 thumbnail image to select the non-transparent bits
  2. Choose "Save selection" in the "Select" menu - it should show "New Channel" - press OK.
  3. Ctrl-D to deselect
  4. Run your Solidify filter (I use B but C's probably good too) and save as PSD in Unity assets folder.

But note, you won't get good results unless you remove the white halo around your grass in your first image--quite a laborious task. Your grass should be cleanly cut out, like say here.

#228 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

Thanks once again Shimonko, I'll give that a go.

When you say remove the white halo is this

done with the eraser set to exclusion or what/how?

I want to learn to design the grass but since you

solved my other grass problem I will plant this course

with the Summer grasses.

Thanks again

#229 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

I'm afraid to say even pro CG-artists hate cutting out vegetation from photos, preferring to either draw the grasses by hand, design grasses in 3d and render to 2d, or create clumps of grass from a few perfectly cut out blades rotated, flipped and scaled. But if you have the patience, long blades of grass are best cut out precisely using the pen tool.

#230 Quidge

Quidge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

I've just been messing around with Unity and plotting down a course on a vacant piece of land nearby my house. I find it fun trying to work to the constraints of a real life plot.

A few possible tips that I didn't know about before beginning that might have been helpful:

Once your terrain is down, you need to set the control texture resolution up in order to have a brush size that is workable. For now I've chosen 2048 but it may need to go higher (any suggestions from more experience unity users?)

Fortunately I discovered that at the beginning of my texturing - because it wipes out all the texturing you've done so far! Unfortunately after many hours of sculping my terrain, I discovered something similar could be done for the terrain brushes - setting: heightmap resolution. It does the same thing and flattens your terrain if you change it. Mine is set to 513 but I feel like I could use a bit more finesse with raising/lowering terrain around bunkers etc.

Does courseforge allow that further finesse to sculpting?

#231 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

Resolution should be set in the beginning and left alone.

Any changes to the resolution will reset the terrain.

Unity does not do precise fine lines between textures,

that's where Course Forge shines. 

#232 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

Wow I forgot about the tremendous amount of plants, grasses and flowers I have. I should upload these for everyone to use.

• Jimbobh and NoPutt like this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#233 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

I am sure anyone intending to create courses would appreciate that Joe.

#234 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

That would be awesome Joe, I'm in dire need of some.

#235 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:10 PM

Please can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the in-game sounds such as the club striking the ball or the ball landing?
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#236 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

Yes it is possible......by the PG Devs.

I feel sure PG will have add-ons at some point

after Final Release.

#237 Quidge

Quidge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

Resolution should be set in the beginning and left alone.

Any changes to the resolution will reset the terrain.

Unity does not do precise fine lines between textures,

that's where Course Forge shines. 

Thanks NoPutt. Does Course Forge also allow finer detail on the terrain? I find it hard to get my bunkers and teeboxes looking right in Unity - but that could be because my resolution is set too low.

#238 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

Tees,Fairways,Greens,Bunkers, etc. are drawn with splines (a closed loop with control points)

and the Rough,Deep Rough are drawn around these. What's left in between and outward

is Unity terrain. CF splines sit ever so slightly above the Unity terrain and blend to it.

CF allows minute detail and crisp edges. The dirt blends for bunkers are added automatically.

Same with Fairways,Teeboxes,Greens, ect., the fringes are added auto but all can be adjusted.

I would suggest reading all you can find in these Forums, especially the Show and Tell thread

from start to finish. It's a lot I know, but there are hidden treasures within.

#239 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:41 AM

That would be awesome Joe. One of the things holding me back with my courses, is grass and flowers. It would be great to have more trees too as each hole is a mix of many clones for the moment. I am sure that more will come, but planting always takes me the greatest time to finish and we have very limited planting objects.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#240 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

Yep give me a day or so and i'll gather them all up and upload them but most of them are ready to just import into unity.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor