246 replies to this topic

#201 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Ok, so I clicked on a tree and I see the diagram.

I clicked on the trunk node, but I see no Properties/materials.

Unity5 doesn't have a Tree Creator unless you're speaking of

Speedtree which has no nature category I can find.

I can see Kittens losing their limbs as I type.

F2LBlSN.jpg

The opposite actually - that's the tree creator you've pictured above. The SpeedTree creator on the other hand isn't built into Unity but a separate program costing $20/month.

The 'Branch material' shown above in the inspector (Mountain Ash Bark 1) is what you're after. Double-click it and you will see the base lighting etc. Similarly choose a leaf node to see its material. 

The problem with adding a second directional light as you have done is making all your different trees looking good at the same time. Also if PP does put lighting control back into the course designer's hands (at the moment the game does the lighting), a second light will kill performance.

#202 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

Thank you Noputt.
You have probably watched Mike's video where he creates a hole from scratch, on a flat plot, using only CF by the look of it. Many people who don't follow this forum will have watched this too and assume that's all you need to learn.

I'm getting used to using Unity and enjoy using it although I'm beginning to think that adding textures and trees is a bit of a pointless exercise as this will be performed, as per Mike's video, in CF.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#203 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Shimonko, my goal was not to use a tree creator as

there is plenty to create already. It is good to know that I

can illuminate my trees without 2 Directional Lights and I

will investigate as per your instruction. I did not know that

the pic was the tree creator. I did know that Speedtree was 

a separate program  and that U5 just came with 2 or 3 Speedtree examples.

Hopefully I can adjust the trees and remove a light.

Thanks again.

Knighters, didn't you read my post...lol....You WILL need Unity textures

outside of the CF shapes and it is not pointless at all. 

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#204 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:54 PM

Knighters, didn't you read my post...lol....You WILL need Unity textures
outside of the CF shapes and it is not pointless at all.

I did, but if that is the case please can you explain how Mike was able to create a hole just by using CF (or so it appeared).
WWG1WGA

#205 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:06 PM

His expertise in matching CF and Unity textures is seamless and quite amazing.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#206 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

I did, but if that is the case please can you explain how Mike was able to create a hole just by using CF (or so it appeared).

From memory the video only showed the main camera view (which CF superimposes its buttons on), cropping off all the surrounding Unity toolbars. You'll probably see Mike's cursor disappear off screen where it will be selecting the appropriate textures for painting the terrain, sculpting it, selecting trees,...

• IanK likes this

#207 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:38 AM

When public CF goes live we will provide terrain plots with textures already set up for people who want to jump right in and not mess with creating their own textures. We will give you access to the textures we use to create our courses so you should be able to achieve similar results without spending a lot of time setting things up.

• Jimbo63, Unique, Volker and 3 others like this

#208 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

nice posting Mike- just wish you could give a date ;) :ph34r:

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#209 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

I have a couple of Unity related queries:
After importing the terrain and Skybox into Unity you can still see the grey Unity ground plane between the sky and the terrain. Is it possible to lose this?
Is it possible to import a background or would it have to be part of the Skybox image?
Thank you.
WWG1WGA

#210 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

Ian, screeny please?

#211 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

Yes a screeny would help, as the wording is deceptive. You

can't import terrain, but you can import, heightmaps or say a JPEG.

Maybe it's the Grid you're speaking of, if so the terrain should be 

slightly above the grid to allow digging out of bunkers, lakes and such.

As for Backrounds, The Skybox is your backround or Panorama.

I think most use Tree or Mountain Billboards to block the edge view,

but there are also many other ways to accomplish this effect such as

another Terrain which viewed from the first creates a nice depth. Or

maybe just raising the edges of the Terrain and plant Trees or other

objects, and the skybox can also be altered.

#212 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

Sorry NoPutt and Ian,
My termination is probably wrong. Yes, I've imported a World Composer heightmap and yes, the grid can be seen when using a first person controller. I was trying to create my local course which has very few trees, just the occasional gorse bush. The costal course is also quite high above the surrounding terrain and sea, so you have a 360 degree panoramic view.
WWG1WGA

#213 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

I have downloaded the Free version of easy roads

and been messing around. I have the cart path width

set and added my own texture and I am able to

lay down some points and see the path. When I click

on a section the texture goes back to the default, how do I get

it to remain? Also, does the path have to be one continuous

stretch or can I stop say at one end of a bridge and continue

on the other side? I'd appreciate it if anyone has some

Easy Road tips as the manual is rather vague.

Thanks

#214 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:22 PM

I have not messed around with easy roads that much but I did know I had a problem with the texture I used changing back to default as well but I can't remember what I did to fix it. I know you can stop at a bridge but I believe you can't continue once you stop and must draw another shape on the other side of the bridge. Again I don't know too much since I really didn't use it very long, I don't want to do any of that work until needed and it's not exactly fun using that program either because of the amount of points you need to lay down to make a nice curve.

Obvious Mike has used this program the most but it's hard to get any help videos from him because he's pretty busy with other stuff. I'm sure once the game is release maybe he will focus more on the CF and get it to where it should be. I hate that all the sliders are locked for the textures in CF. I guess we must make our own if we want to mess with the lighting of them or make the light rough or fairway fringe as they would call it wider because it is way too small stock. Not a fan of the billion points that get put down on fairways either, takes an hour to adjust a fairway if you're using an overhead to adjust the shape the right way.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#215 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Joe, Hopefully someone will create

a small tut for doing cart paths in CF with Easy roads. I'm holding

off till I have a better understanding of the software.

I'm deathly afraid it will alter my terrain beyond

my capability to repair. 

#216 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

I hate that all the sliders are locked for the textures in CF. I guess we must make our own if we want to mess with the lighting of them or make the light rough or fairway fringe as they would call it wider because it is way too small stock. Not a fan of the billion points that get put down on fairways either, takes an hour to adjust a fairway if you're using an overhead to adjust the shape the right way.

It's sounding like you haven't saved the default library as a different name, as it's read only to prevent people messing it up. Once you do that all fields become unlocked, including the meters per spline point you need to avoid the billion point issue.

#217 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

Ah ok I didn't know we were suppose to rename the default library, that will help thanks.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#218 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:00 PM

Duplicating the default library as a new starting point, rather than renaming. "save as" from within the Layer Library will do it.

• TheBigYin519 likes this

#219 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:13 AM

Are those videos gone, NoPutt?

I've moved up to Unity 5 and I can't remember what I did before.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#220 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

there on Vimeo, not to sure they match up exactly with Unity 5.

https://vimeo.com/perfectparallel

think the devs at Unity have changed a few things, I found it difficult to find a few things, but then been a while since my last play with Unity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users