• 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

Just when I thought things were going smooth a

new anomaly presents itself.

When raising the terrain the brush paints

ripples, (not nipples), ripples.

Attached Files

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#62 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:10 AM

Assuming you aren't using some ripple brush, what you see will happen if your terrain height value is way too high. Check it's around the 50m mark, maybe 100 if your course is going to be super hilly.

#63 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Shimonko, I had it on 600, lowered

to 100 and worked a charm.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#64 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

I have searched Google and the Unity manual as

suggested by fierce innuendo.

I have designed a simple tee marker and

imported to an asset folder and planted

and textured it. My question is, how do I

lock it to the terrain? I read about static objects,

but I'm not sure if this applies.

Attached Files

#65 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

NoPutt... I'm working from memory and this may help more...

http://docs.unity3d....ameObjects.html

#66 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

I saw that pard, but it's only how to translate, rotate, and scale,

which is not a problem. I need the tee markers to stay on

the tee box when I move the terrain.

#67 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

Tee Markers, currently, are being created and added by the game, based on the tee coordinates you set in CF - so you have to leave the tee blank in CF.

And no, you can't, as far as I know, "nail" your objects to the terrain and expect them to reflect all the changes of your terrain brush. Surely there must be such a tool somewhere in the asset store, but I'm afraid you will have to readjust your objects manually.

You can, if you want, highlight several of them (like both tee markers) at the same time and manipulate this group of objects. Just keep your LBM clicked in the viewer and draw a rectangle around the objects you want. Or click on several of them with one of the move buttons activated and shift-click multiple objects into one easy to handle group.

Objects you could add and duplicate-move as a group include ball washers, waste baskets, benches, fencing elements, walls etc.

If you have an object (or a group of objects) highlighted and want to duplicate and transport it several 100 yards away to a new destination, just highlight them first, then go there with your viewer, then click game object > "move to view" and they will appear in front of you.

If there is one object very far away you want to have a closer look at it, just double click on it in the hierarchy window and the viewer will teleport you to it right away.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#68 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

Thanks K, I think I'll just stick to the sculpting

until CF comes along.

#69 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Well it's been around 2 weeks since I downloaded Unity and

it's been a real blast. There is still plenty to learn, but thanks

to the fine folks here, Unity is not the insurmountable peak that

some may imagine. My advice for beginners like myself, is to

go back and read everything in the Course Forge Forum. Like

me, you may not understand all that you read, but you find

bits here and there that will be invaluable. Also, you can't do it

without help, ask your questions here. Sure, K11 will fiercely suggest

that you "GOOGLE IT" or read the Friggin Manual, but sometimes

a simple explanation from a real person (not K11) makes you

feel that you're not alone in your quest. 

I have a Practice Terrain where I, uh, Practice.

Attached Files

#70 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

Well done sir... you gave it go... that's good enough for me!

• RobC likes this

#71 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

Just practicing some elevating and lowering.

Learning to set height,flatten, and smooth

has been a real treat.

Attached Files

• shimonko likes this

#72 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

Will tee markers be customizable / changeable and will 2D objects be usable? I'd like to be able to import my own when appropriate, like the painted rocks for Blackwolf Run.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#73 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

I would think that the tee markers would be customizable. As for 2d objects, Unity uses Billboards, which are essentially objects

that always face the camera, such as distant trees, and low grasses. The rocks could be 2d but will not give much depth

and it's best to design and texture them in 3d. Someone will be along hopefully to give a better explanation.

#74 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Matthew, as per today the tee markers are being added by the game automatically, PG, and not provided by the course designer. I would expect that at some time in the future this will change and you will be able to customize them yourself. It certainly would make sense. 

Pot bunkers also make a lot of sense...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#75 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

Thanks to Shimonkos' suggestion my Imgur is now working 

here. I switched from IE to Chrome and Viola!

Y6Y2U31.jpg?1

• Kablammo11, TheBigYin519 and shimonko like this

#76 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

And you used the texture mapping editor to avoid the different planks all having the same texture. Well done!

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#77 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Thanks K, couldn't have done it without you.

#78 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Just designed and planted my first grass.

I'm pleased with the first attempt but welcome

any tips to improve.

Pay no attention to the wanna-be mountain it's

just part of the playing stage too. And no, it's not

Giant Crap or Sheep Poo.

hht8uTf.jpg

#79 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

Looks very good. 

Fiddle with the wind settings and click on the Game tab on the top of your window (next to the Scene tab) and then on the PLAY button to see it whoft.

I wish I could think of something clever and helpful to say about your grass, but it looks pretty much fine. Well done!

Perhaps this, and I'm really grasping for straws here (proud about that pun!): When in Photoshop and before exporting your grass, try to add a "Bevel" layer style to it, ever so slightly. Inner Bevel, that is, assigned to the border of your layer. This ought to give your individual grass blades a bit more depth, with a shadowy and a lighted side. Note how in this example this allows me bring out the center of the billboard and show the single stems a bit clearer. 

WaBxUv0.jpg

But that's peanuts. I regret to inform you that you just lost your "Beginner" status and are no longer entitled to post in this thread. Please move on to the corresponding Advanced Novice/Intermediate one.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#80 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

Your praise is very much appreciated, but in no way

allows my novice status to be elevated in the least amount.

My grass is only one layer at the moment but I'll try to add

another dryer layer for variety. Your "inner bevel" is  a

master stroke, and I will give it my best rookie swing.

I expect to plow, seed, and mow many acres in the coming

weeks and months and can only hope for fair weather to

reap what I sow. (not my pun).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users