#1 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Forgive me but not so  long  ago we  used to have to use  Unity3d to play TWO. So I was under the impression that Unity was the Game Engine?

There is also a lot of talk around here about Unity3d and Course Forge.

Can someone explain this to me..

Is Unity3d the Game engine and Course Forge is the "course architect" ? So we will use CF to design courses and Unity3d is going to run those courses?

Thank ya..

Axe.

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Axe,

Yes, it is the same Unity 3D engine that PP are using that EA used to create TWO. The main difference is that PP have created their own Course Forge design tool, which we would install in to Unity 3D as a downloadable Asset Tool. From what I have seen so far, it appears PP will push the Unity 3D engine a little further than what EA did with TWO. As TWO never had a course design tool, there was obviously no need for anyone to have to install the Unity 3D software. I guess the same would be the case if folks just wanted to play Perfect Golf and not design courses.

As for playing the actual rounds. AJ posted sometime back in another thread (may have been on the old forums) that Perfect Golf will make use of the Unity Player software. This obviously works in conjunction with what has been built in Unity 3D.

;)

#3 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ahh ok Daz, gotcha... Yes, TWO IMO never got off the ground with what Unity could handle/do... Thanks for the quik reply..

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

If you go to http://unity3d.com/unity/ you will find this description of what unity is... "Unity is a game development ecosystem; a powerful rendering engine fully integrated with a complete set of intuitive tools and rapid workflows to create interactive 3D content; easy multiplatform publishing, etc..."

You need to download and install the Free Full Version, then watch the video tutorials so far and click all the buttons that Mike tells you to click.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think I got it, it's a "game engine".. I think I'll wait until I see some sort of game, then you could actually play test what you create... Thank ya all for the replies.. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#6 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Axe,

Yes, it is the same Unity 3D engine that PP are using that EA used to create TWO. The main difference is that PP have created their own Course Forge design tool, which we would install in to Unity 3D as a downloadable Asset Tool. From what I have seen so far, it appears PP will push the Unity 3D engine a little further than what EA did with TWO. As TWO never had a course design tool, there was obviously no need for anyone to have to install the Unity 3D software. I guess the same would be the case if folks just wanted to play Perfect Golf and not design courses.

As for playing the actual rounds. AJ posted sometime back in another thread (may have been on the old forums) that Perfect Golf will make use of the Unity Player software. This obviously works in conjunction with what has been built in Unity 3D.

;)

So Daz, will it be possible to play PG through the Unity 3D Engine or will it have to be used via the Unity Player Software? I know you don't have all the answers, but you seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Perfect golf, perfect broadcast suite, perfect vision and perfect world are standalone application we have built in unity. As such they use the unity engine to run but they are just like any other application. Course forge isa little different inthat itisa plug in to unity editor that allows users to build golf courses compatible with our application suite.

Unity webplayer allows you o play unity games inside Internet explorer like TWO. We may offer this but right now we are focused on the PC application

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

Thank you for that Andrew and hopefully you guy's aren't just setting this up for IE as I believe a lot of us use Firefox and Chrome, I believe TWO had many problems with IE:..

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#9 bharris1117

bharris1117

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWarren, Ohio

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Help me to understand what I'm missing here. I have downloaded the full free ver of Unity.  I have watched the PP videos on elevation maps imported and bing map conversions  to which I have a basic understanding,  My problem is I can use bing and google to get an aerial view of the terrain I want to use, save the images, but don't know how to aquire the 3 maps for files shown needed (height/width, etc) in the video to use with unity?  I'm assuming I can do what was shown in the videos with what I have or do I have to have the assets, converters, etc not yet released.

sigfnl.jpg

#10 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

Help me to understand what I'm missing here. I have downloaded the full free ver of Unity.  I have watched the PP videos on elevation maps imported and bing map conversions  to which I have a basic understanding,  My problem is I can use bing and google to get an aerial view of the terrain I want to use, save the images, but don't know how to aquire the 3 maps for files shown needed (height/width, etc) in the video to use with unity?  I'm assuming I can do what was shown in the videos with what I have or do I have to have the assets, converters, etc not yet released.

You called it (see above).

As of yet we don't have:-

1. Course Forge
  2. Course Conversion Tool (which imports the BING Maps data and creates the files you refer to).

These are still WIP and have not yet been given an ETA by the guys at PP other than 'soon'.

;)

#11 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

My problem is I can use bing and google to get an aerial view of the terrain I want to use, save the images, .

You can do this?  I have located two courses I would like to try to create once the Course Forge is released but do not know how to save an image.

Also, one course is slightly larger then the Bing View. One down is too small and one up is way too large and the course is almost lost in the view.

Anyway to make half steps?

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

I think we should provide a test set of data for people to use if they want to play around with it in unity prior to us releasing the Converter and CourseForge. I'll have a chat with AJ about this - stay tuned.

• Maineah and Acrilix like this

#13 HalkeFralg

HalkeFralg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

I think we should provide a test set of data for people to use if they want to play around with it in unity prior to us releasing the Converter and CourseForge. I'll have a chat with AJ about this - stay tuned.

I think that's the way to go if possible! It gives us a little something to whet the whistle, and familiarize ourselves with the program and learning its little nuances.

#14 bharris1117

bharris1117

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWarren, Ohio

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Mike that would be great that's exactly what I need,  it would really help me get a foot in the door.  The videos are informative but only a preview of what's to come.

I would gladly pay or contribute to the cause to be able to  have a beta or simple trial version of the converters, or  assets to fully appreciate the videos.

sigfnl.jpg

#15 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

I hope this isn't a round about way of saying the Course Forge and Conversion Tool are a good way off being released yet, lol.

:D :D :D :D

#16 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

Someone please refresh my memory? Why isn't PP coming out with a Game of Golf first? Not trying to be a smart arse but I can't figure that out...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#17 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

I hope this isn't a round about way of saying the Course Forge and Conversion Tool are a good way off being released yet, lol.

:D :D :D :D

MikeJ announced PP Golf on Links Corner in early July 2012.  So, we've been waiting patiently (mostly!) since then.  Frankly, I'm guessing it'll be months rather than weeks before we have access to CF.  (Then again, I know next to nothing.)

#18 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

You can do this?  I have located two courses I would like to try to create once the Course Forge is released but do not know how to save an image.

Also, one course is slightly larger then the Bing View. One down is too small and one up is way too large and the course is almost lost in the view.

Anyway to make half steps?

Jerry

Jerry

The converter actually takes a 4096 x 4096 view but the display area is only 800 x 800 in the converter since most monitors are not big enough to show that size so imagine at a particular zoom level how much you will see. For example if you are at 1920 x 1080 you will capture more than twice what you see

#19 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

OK, I'm confused.... so Course Forge is not a stand alone entity, but an app which requires external software to run? Will I (and everyone else) become required to become well-versed in this Unity program?

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#20 LasseThid

LasseThid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMölndal, Sweden

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

OK, I'm confused.... so Course Forge is not a stand alone entity, but an app which requires external software to run? Correct

Will I (and everyone else) become required to become well-versed in this Unity program? It all depends on what you want to achieve. As far as I understand you do most of the course building with the Course Forge tools, but you can create additional stuff with Unity.

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz 8GB GPU: MSI GeForce 970 GTX Gaming 4G Sound: Creative Soundblaster Extreme Gamer SSD: OCZ Agility 3 64GB HDD: 1x 2TB, 1x 1TB, 1x 320 GB Western Digital PSU: Corsair CX 600W Chassi: Thermaltake Aguila

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users