26 replies to this topic

#21 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

OK, I'm confused.... so Course Forge is not a stand alone entity, but an app which requires external software to run? Will I (and everyone else) become required to become well-versed in this Unity program?

CourseForge is a specialized package of golf design features that ONLY works with Unity 3D, which is for free. You absolutely DO need to download and install Unity to be able to work with the CourseForge - which is NOT a stand alone entity.

http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#22 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

OK, I'm confused.... so Course Forge is not a stand alone entity, but an app which requires external software to run? Will I (and everyone else) become required to become well-versed in this Unity program?

Matthew, the answer to your question is NO.. When the actual game comes out, you will only have to download the Unity player, then play the game.. You won't even know you have the Unity player. Unity is the Game Engine, it's what enables the game to be played.

Just install it and play away....

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#23 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

I would say that if you are looking to get involved in the designing of courses in Course Forge, you will definitely need Unity 3D (free version available) in to which you would download the Course Forge as an Asset Tool, that basically sits on top of Unity 3D, and using the tools the guys at PP have developed in to Course Forge you can then build your course.

I would also say that you would need a general understanding of how Unity 3D functions, as if you watch one of AJ's or MJ's video clips, a lot of the preparation work can be done on the layout in Unity 3D before Course Forge is opened up to overlay the tees, fairways, greens, bunkers, rough, lakes etc. etc.

If you just want to play golf, I guess you can ignore all of the above, lol.

:D

#24 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Ok, Maybe I misunderstood Matthew, If you just want to play golf, then No you don't have to become well versed with Unity..

If you want to design courses, then Yes, you are going to have to be well versed with it...

Peace

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#25 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

Well, I want to design courses.

So, should I start learning to use this program now?

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#26 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

Well, I want to design courses.

So, should I start learning to use this program now?

Yes, I suggest you should. It takes time to get used to the interface, to remember the buttons, to operate the viewer window etc. If you never worked with Unity when the day comes to use the CourseForge, you will find it very hard to operate. Not because it's especially difficult, but because it's the sort of complex software you need to get used to it in the first place. Imho, you absolutely need to find your bearings in Unity BEFORE the Forge is released.

:( That goes for all of you kids out there. You better start doing your homework...

• Davefevs likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#27 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Didn't wish to create a new thread for something that may well be just a familiarity trip.. however..

Version changes for Unity

Will this become a problem...? I ask because I installed both 4.1.5 and the latest version 4.2.

Watching the many tutorials around, shows differences in the versions, although there is likely alot more I have not addressed yet. The main one, being how to Create Terrain.. I'll show with some images of both the interfaces of the versions stated above..

Version 4.1.5

ilbn0x.jpg

Version 4.2

15owcd5.jpg

The main issue will hinder those looking to initially get started, as the Terrain menu suddenly disappears into the Game Object menu, under Create Other option. The ability to adjust the resolution and properties also changes, due to the updated version 4.2 too. That is no longer available as a drop down menu, but is now found on the smaller icon menu under one of those settings (far right on the icon menu when toggling brush sizes etc) - it isn't shown on the images above.

So.. will this likely become a concern with future versions of Unity, and will there ever be an issue of incompatability with course work or even Course Forge..?

Or am I entirely worrying about nothingness.. :blink:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users