45 replies to this topic

#21 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

I found THIS most helpful. That's right, ye gotta click on the big THIS...

Bit of a read, but it does cover the field nicely (pun intended), with most things neatly explained.

And so simple...  :mellow:

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#22 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Nice.. good to see more info on the terrain build. Have bookmarked this for a future read, appreciate you bringing it here!

#23 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

This is what we like to see, a bit of Unity amongst the members, lol.

;)

#24 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:30 AM

When I get tired of Unity I play golf tired of Golf I do Unity sometimes I eat sometimes I go to the bathroom sleeping is passing out at the keyboard 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#25 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:25 AM

I found THIS most helpful. That's right, ye gotta click on the big THIS...

Bit of a read, but it does cover the field nicely (pun intended), with most things neatly explained.

And so simple...  :mellow:

Great Link 

I found this via google how to make a low spot this is important with Unity 5 when you start off your at UH, shall we say ground ZERO   uh, literally no digging allowed 

Person 1 Hello,

Can anyone confirm or deny if we are able to "lower" terrain (using the built-in terrain system) below the default height? That is to say, can we create canyons/valleys/low-spots in the terrain somehow?

I can't seem to figure out how. In 4.x I am able to lower the terrain below default level, but not in 5.0 currently. Is this the case?

Person 2 

The default height is zero. And you can't lower the terrain below zero. But that won't prevent you to raise the whole terrain by a certain height and then carve the canyons, valleys, etc. below that value.

To raise the whole terrain at 200 for example, just select the "Paint Height" tool, set the "Height" parameter at 200 and click on the "Flatten" button. Then still use the "Paint Height" tool to carve the canyons. Just set the "Height" parameter at a value below 200 and select proper brush, brush size, opacity for your carving.

Person 1 again  Thanks for the tip pietro! I will test this now.

I know about raising the terrain, but I didn't raise it via the "paint height tool" only by changing the "y" transform value of the terrain. If I raise it above "zero" simply by the transform alone, it still doesn't work (and it did in 4.x). But like I said, I havn't tried "raising" the terrain with the paint height tool yet, so I'm gonna try that now.

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#26 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:31 AM

first time i noticed this thread and it is full of great info to study while waiting for course forge

thanks

wow im glad i found these after about a half hour i feel i learned a lot about building terrain and it 

makes it look like building courses may not be as hard to build as i thought they would be.

great stuff

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#27 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

Great Link 
I found this via google how to make a low spot this is important with Unity 5 when you start off your at UH, shall we say ground ZERO   uh, literally no digging allowed 
Person 1 Hello,

Can anyone confirm or deny if we are able to "lower" terrain (using the built-in terrain system) below the default height? That is to say, can we create canyons/valleys/low-spots in the terrain somehow?

I can't seem to figure out how. In 4.x I am able to lower the terrain below default level, but not in 5.0 currently. Is this the case?
Person 2 
The default height is zero. And you can't lower the terrain below zero. But that won't prevent you to raise the whole terrain by a certain height and then carve the canyons, valleys, etc. below that value.

To raise the whole terrain at 200 for example, just select the "Paint Height" tool, set the "Height" parameter at 200 and click on the "Flatten" button. Then still use the "Paint Height" tool to carve the canyons. Just set the "Height" parameter at a value below 200 and select proper brush, brush size, opacity for your carving.

Person 1 again  Thanks for the tip pietro! I will test this now.

I know about raising the terrain, but I didn't raise it via the "paint height tool" only by changing the "y" transform value of the terrain. If I raise it above "zero" simply by the transform alone, it still doesn't work (and it did in 4.x). But like I said, I havn't tried "raising" the terrain with the paint height tool yet, so I'm gonna try that now.

Unity 4 is no different than 5 in this regard - you can not lower the terrain below the default in either. 

You are correct that using the y-transform will make digging possible - it's just not how terrains internally work and talk a little about it a few posts down at the link below.

Either the flatten tool or my MoveTheGround tool must be used. 

#28 AwYea

AwYea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

I have watched and read a lot of material about Unity and this guy is probably the most knowledgeable and straight forward in his explanations that you will find. Very easy to follow.

Unity 5 From Beginner to Pro:

https://www.youtube....ldmwOsh-jGePFzB

PG + OGT & MP = Golfing Bliss! 

Steam-ahhyeaa

#29 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

I have watched and read a lot of material about Unity and this guy is probably the most knowledgeable and straight forward in his explanations that you will find. Very easy to follow.

Great find mate, great tutorials for us novices

Thanks

#30 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

I personally like the following for tutorials (including the one posted above)

Xenosmash Games and Speed Tutor.   Both on youtube helped me out a lot! 

#31 jdeedler

jdeedler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:44 PM

Is Unity 5 the only program you need to begin designing a Course?

Corsair 750D case / Windows 10 64 bit / Intel i7 4790k w/HT Devil's Canyon  4.0 ghz ( over clock to 4.8 ghz. 4.4 cache )

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Board Z97X / 8 GB HyperX Savage 1866 DDR3 / Asus 460 GTX 1GB  ( 4GB total with 3GB shared )

240 Gig HyperX Savage SSD / 750 watt Antec PSU / 1 TB WD HHD  / Water cooled with Phobya LT 400 kit

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-4292-0-08760700-1443733851_thumb.jp
  •  

#32 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

Is Unity 5 the only program you need to begin designing a Course?

Yeah - Course Forge is a program that you use within unity 5 - you start or run unity 5 and then Course Forge is an add on to it. So you need to know the Unity 5 basic interface because you will choose shapes and stuff that comes with Course Forge that you will access via Unity 5. Like you open Microsoft word and then click on add graphic and then you pic a graphic to add to the document you have made. 

• jdeedler likes this

#33 jdeedler

jdeedler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

Yeah - Course Forge is a program that you use within unity 5 - you start or run unity 5 and then Course Forge is an add on to it. So you need to know the Unity 5 basic interface because you will choose shapes and stuff that comes with Course Forge that you will access via Unity 5. Like you open Microsoft word and then click on add graphic and then you pic a graphic to add to the document you have made. 

Ok thanks!  ;)

problems downloading....turned off Norton still doesn't want to download stops and either comes up with some kind of file error or says internet isnt connected......I'll try again later.

Ok I got it to work Adblock might have been stopping it or it was slow enough and I was expecting the normal fast speeds I get....it's really slow 100-160kb/s going to take a few hours...all good things come to those who wait.. :P

• RobV likes this

Corsair 750D case / Windows 10 64 bit / Intel i7 4790k w/HT Devil's Canyon  4.0 ghz ( over clock to 4.8 ghz. 4.4 cache )

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Board Z97X / 8 GB HyperX Savage 1866 DDR3 / Asus 460 GTX 1GB  ( 4GB total with 3GB shared )

240 Gig HyperX Savage SSD / 750 watt Antec PSU / 1 TB WD HHD  / Water cooled with Phobya LT 400 kit

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-4292-0-08760700-1443733851_thumb.jp
  •  

#34 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

Those tutorials at the start of this thread, regarding Height maps, seems like a fair bit of work to sketch out the terrain then use the brushes to form the terrain layout for a small area seems like a lot of work, sketching out an entire course using photoshop , then refining it with the brushes to me would take forever, let alone the work needed to brush smooth the terrain in unity, Some nice links their requiring a ton of homework.

CGX Bruce R

#35 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

One point of view I guess...... the other could be, "those tutorials allow such refining to really bring out areas of the course!"

#36 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

I have been working on The Surfers Paradise Golf Club for quite a while, gonna pick out one part of the course and see what I can do with it in PS. Might take a few goes but if I can get something reasonable, I will stick it in Unity, and learn from the tutorials to see what I come up with from their, Their is a fairly big lake, that goes around the course from bottom to left top, that would be good for an example, because it will show some detail, unfortunatley its not what you would call a high terrain course, so their will be no peaks or valleys, its simply an exercise.

• IanD likes this

CGX Bruce R

#37 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:56 AM

OK I didn't look at the date this topic started, 2 years ago, I can Imagine CF and TF have come along way since then, talking to RobC, he explained he doesn't use height maps at all, just loads up the Bing map in CF and everything falls into place, then the fun begins.

CGX Bruce R

#38 brokenclub

brokenclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:15 AM

OK I didn't look at the date this topic started, 2 years ago, I can Imagine CF and TF have come along way since then, talking to RobC, he explained he doesn't use height maps at all, just loads up the Bing map in CF and everything falls into place, then the fun begins.

LOL, I've done that. Would be great to see a process to go about getting height of a course into CF using bing maps.

#39 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Well, I've finally started learning Unity. I've followed the first 5 or 6 of these tutorials with mixed success.  :lol:

I can't get a skybox to appear, even though the guy said it was automatically created on Unity 5, but the terrain sculpting stuff went ok and I quite enjoyed shaping and painting the landscape.

Can someone explain to me how I can get a sky to appear?

Also, I seem to remember MJ posting a list of terrain properties suitable for CF a long time ago. Any idea where they are?

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#40 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:30 PM

You really don't need a skybox as PG provides the skies.

I think the Unity store has a couple of free ones if  you

think you must have them, but some can bog down Unity

and are not needed imo. 

CF will come with a Terrain or 2 or 3 that is set up for

PG play. You will be able to size it, shape it, texture it, any way

you like.

Unity doesn't do crisp sharp edges but CF does, and blends

them automatically. Your designs will take on a whole new

meaning once you get to merge CF and Unity. I hope 

this will happen soon for you, as I like your work, and I'm

sure you will produce something original.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users