68 replies to this topic

#1 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Question to the Devs; I could ask it with more authority if I had access to your physics engine, but since there was no Mac version, I could not verify the following observations. This is not a "Boo, you guys hate Mac"-thread though, it's about the question if there will be - and should be - an element of random in the ball physics of your game.

To wit: Every golf game I have played so far, and I suspect the same will apply to PerfectGolf, has featured what I would call "Pool Table" physics. A pre-defined set of parameters determines the reaction of the golf ball to the ground: Speed of impact, dampness, viscosity, ground geometry etc... And the values of these parameters do not change and remain the same, whether they affect the first bounce of your drive on the fairway or the last inch of roll at the end.

If you were to hit the exactly same shot twice, at 0 wind, the ball will always end up in the very same spot. The physics on computer golf courses are about the same as on a pool table: Constant. Like this (click to enlarge):

But the surface on a golf course is never as even and smooth as the felt cover of a pool table. It's irregular, spiky, minutely different, inch for inch, even on the most manicured of golf courses. The pool table physics always look weakest in the last two seconds of a shot, because the roll-out looks so predictable, so mathematical, yet our own experience IRL tells us there is an element of uncertainty and randomness how a ball will behave. I suggest that this element should be introduced into the PerfectGolf Game physics. I propose that the defining physics parameters affecting the bounce and roll of the golf ball, instead of having a fixed value throughout, should be randomized (ever so slightly) to allow for small deviations in length and lateral movement.

If, for instance, your viscosity is set to the value of X - a fuzzy physics would allow for a dampness of 98% of X to 102% of X to be randomly selected at impact. And if the angle at which a ball proceeds is usually adjusted to account for the side slope, this side slope influence too should be allowed to slightly fluctuate randomly. A fuzzy physics ball would be look like this:

Now doesn't this look a lot more like the golf we're used to IRL? Of course, I overdid this a bit in the above picture. While the ball travels at speed, fuzzyness would be less of a factor than when it slows down and comes to a stop. We've all seen TV footage of putts where the ball starts wobbling unpredictably in its last couple of rolls. and what of the randomness, erratic hopping, wobbling and bounciness of the ball on a fairway, looking safe first, then rolling into the first cut?. Again, this randomness need not be massive at all, just a teensy-weensy bit of unpredicatble oscillation built into the ball physics: Fuzzy physics. 

And this would introduce another element into the game: Luck - or Misfortune; within reason. We've all had it IRL. Remember the old saying "That's the rub of the green" when missing a putt? Yeah, exatly: There's a rub, there is, we've all been rubbed the right or the wrong way. And that's the rub with pool table physics: No rub.

There should be a bit of a fuzzy rub imo. I humly posit that PerfectGolf would be a lot more realistic if there were some well-judged imperfections included.

• Ron Piskorik, nightowl, IanD and 1 other like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me, how often have you had a dodgy bounce in the middle of the fairway from your best drive of the day?

#3 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Randomness should be in the difficulty of the swing meter.  If you execute the perfect shot, you should be rewarded for it.

Just to clarify, I do not mean the swing meter should be random.  I mean that the swing meter should be difficult enough to click to perfection that randomness on a perfect shot is not needed.

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Randomness should be in the difficulty of the swing meter.  If you execute the perfect shot, you should be rewarded for it.

Just to clarify, I do not mean the swing meter should be random.  I mean that the swing meter should be difficult enough to click to perfection that randomness on a perfect shot is not needed.

Fuzzy physics is not meant to be a penalty for hitting a perfect shot, it's just a minute difference in rewards. My point is that even IF you hit your swing perfectly, there should be a slight element of uncertainty/luck/fate/weirdness about the outcome - the way I remember it too well from my days of golf. And I do not mean by that the sort of thing some of you reported from WGT, where shots are being artificially mishit on purpose, just a subtle fuzziness. 

Imagine two identical computer golf shots over 100 yds, played at exactly the same power onto a perfectly level green or fairway, with no wind at all: They would end up on the very same spot. With fuzzy physics, they could end up about, say, 12 to 18 inches apart, due to the impredictabilty of a natural, grassy surface. And you still would have to hit that perfect shot to even get there in the first place.

That seems to be a rather realistic imbalance to me, yet you would still have to set up, aim and hit the very same shot from 100 yards back and this would not affect your gameplay and playing strategy at all. Actually, you probably could play the game without knowing it was implementing fuzzy physics, and you would not notice any difference. Except one: The game would feel a tiny bit more realistic.

• Dazmaniac likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

K11 makes a very valid point.

Golf games on console and PC have always had billiard table smooth greens and fairways. Never is a ball running on the fairway deflected by loose turf, a divot hole etc or on the green a rolling ball hindered by a spike mark or indentation.

The ball always rolls as true as true can be. Have a dead flat putt and hit it dead straight, almost every time, if the pace was right it would go in the hole.

If the dev's could add some form randomness to ball bounce and roll, it would certainly add to the realism. On occasions the roll maybe unaffected, but on some occasions there may be a slight affect on roll, just to take the ball of its chosen path. Same for the bounce. Some occasions the bounce may be unaffected, others it may deviate one way or t'other, or even be a firmer or softer bounce than you would be expecting.

How many times have you played a chip shot IRL only for the bounce to shoot the ball forward and go long or check the ball up and come up short or even have the ground deflect the ball a tad left or right of the intended line.

K11 says:-

Actually, you probably could play the game without knowing it was implementing fuzzy physics, and you would not notice any difference. Except one: The game would feel a tiny bit more realistic.

I couldn't agree more.

;)

• Kablammo11 likes this

#6 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

I agree you should be rewarded for the perfect shot, but like IRL, you are also reliant on mother nature and the golfing gods that your perfectly struck 4 iron flies through the air unaffected and then gets exactly the bounce and roll you were wanting.

No matter how perfectly hit a shot is, you are then at the mercy of something which you cannot control.

I always used to look at golf and think no 2 shots are ever the same. If Perfect Golf could take a step closer to this, we are moving in the right direction.

#7 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

I know in TW's PC Series that on the greens for instance, if a designer didn't do his work and make the green smooth, there will be little ridges/spikes in the green and the ball does deflect when it hits those... Same on the fairways...

Not trying to argue but if your playing a game where the ball isn't affected by the roughness of the ground IE: bumps/dips/ridges/sharp angles, then I would be asking for the same thing too...

Edit: After thinking about if for a while, I will say though, that when you hit a drive the ball does always seem to bounce the same way every time if your on a smooth fairway but when it rolls and hits a spike or raised seam, it will deflect the ball..

• Tigers Agent likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

Is this what you mean? The first 2 bounces always seem to be the same. The roll outs are different but this isn't a flat fairway.

">http://2zj99cg.jpg

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#9 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

I'm a little stand back, on this one.. although the final result is what I want to enjoy though.

Whilst I understand what you propose, and you haven't had the chance to explore the current Alpha.. we may be missing some further impacts the guys are allowing us.

rizymt.jpg

These are the actual physics we have seen within the current game build. However, I'm curious to know what will be made of them, and what can be achieved with them within the Course Forge?

Kablammo, what you're suggesting is an interference with the actual settings, based upon what..? Randomness...?

If, and this is what I believe you suggest, you feel the courses and interaction of the ball with the course itself is where things should deviate, then I agree. However, we do (currently on Alpha) have a possible way to adjust this ourselves (if the above physics were adjustable within the CF, and we're all Course Designers). What it would mean is we design 18 different fairway textures and 18 different green textures all reacting differently than the previous hole by 0.01 etc This may allow a perfectly flat course and green to react differently if you were playing sliderule golf upon the swingmeter.

Personally, I'd opt for 18 different textures... not a randomness though.

Are we not thinking of every Golf game we've played though...? Are we perhaps unsure what the guys here at PP are trying to create? Yes to both I guess...

What I'd like to see, is what I initially commented above... 18 different fairway textures. Granted, they may all look the same, and you're unlikely to know exactly what is different, but this is where the course itself adds to the experience. You're playing a course near the ocean, Links style... it is going to be a course that see's your fairway shots run forever. However, some holes may be damper than others, and this can be reflected by the Designer by tweaking some fairway textures to ensure the roll isn't as maximised as others. Even areas of the same hole can be adjusted, as perhaps some courses have a huge lake that interacts with several holes. The surrounding area of the lake may be either more damp or deliberately dried out out to ensure it see's more roll should you approach it wrongly.

The variations we may see, may not be beyond what we can hopefully adjust..

#10 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

Maybe I can elaborate further on some comments to help bridge what Kablammo may like to see..

25g9bwx.jpg

By tweaking the ability to change texture physics, perhaps that may allow some increased randomness that may help...? Again, personally, this isn't exactly for me... there may be instances where some Designers build in "silly places", and this can create LandMine courses. However, to ensure I stay on my own belief of prefering to have options, I see no massive problems.

If you can create a fairway texture and then decide to have every variable above (not just Bounce, as shown) as random by whatever percentage, then you can effectively, have a different Course everytime it loads.

Who wouldn't want that....? Even I'd be happy with that, knowing the fairways today are not the same as they were yesterday... even with 18 different fairway textures too.. each can be stretched just that little bit further. Maybe not so much with professional courses.. I'd not be happy to see Wentworth become a boggy soaked ball clogged course, and be forced to reload it again and again. However, if the Designer was clever enough to recreate their own local courses, where they knew the actual Course problems then it may be something needed specifically for them.

I knew a local course in Stevenage that always had some flooding issues around certain holes, especially in the winter months. If I was able to recreate this course, then it would be enjoyable to me personally, to recreate the summer and winter version of this course, knowing the problem areas. If weather was introduced later into the PP game, then I daresay the experience can be enhanced further with perhaps other ideas.

The Course Card has yet to be mentioned... in terms of other games having an intro/loading image displayed that is shown. Hole Previews have yet to be mentioned, where maybe these problem areas on winter courses can be highlighted (it's just a way of describing what the traps may appear as under certain conditions). This would allow communication between the designer and golfer, and with Kablammo's randomness indicator (may I perhaps call it the KRI ?), it can "suggest" being cautious of the back 9, as the course itself can become a little softer underfoot if the weather turns poor.

We're heading into so many added support areas, this should obviously be something the guys here at PP have looked into. Add the Skies images... dark and rolling. Allow a selection of these to be used by the Designer (ie when creating the course, he opts to only allow X,Y,Z or 001,010,078 skies) for his course. If you want random or fuzzy ball physics.. I don't think you should stop with your fuzzy balls.

That's my quote for the day...

#11 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

Frustrating.. I can't stay away from this thread now and I typed further additions and just had a powercut losing all the additional post details.. :wacko:

So, this is a minor recap of what I did wish to add..

Kablammo... my post only really details your own suggestion, I know. However, what I think I failed to detail, was my preference to see the Course Designer allow the variables, and not the game itself. The game itself will throw in other factors anyway, such as wind. I don't believe there is such thing as no wind.. so that may allow the ability to add a variation on direction of a possible 0-5%.. maybe less. Would that be enough to endure randomness... unlikely.

The other factors we tend to understand within other golf games...? Hard/Fast greens. This is perhaps an area where I'd like to see further thought added..

Why should we have Hard and Fast greens... should we have that setting at all?

IF the Course Designer has created the course with a variation of the Course textures, to replicate the course itself, then do we have a need for those settings? SOo many options available here.. where do you begin to suggest what we'd like to see...?

Surely, if the Course Designer has created a course, like the guys here at PP have with those courses already replicated, they built in the actual physics of the course properties. They know the fairways at St.Andrews react far differently than those at Congressional. So.. wouldn't the greens have a slight variation too? So, if I then turned on Soft/Slow settings we know from other golf games, am I not changing what is actually a designed course to something so unfamiliar it becomes an arcade game?

Maybe add the ability to lock the green settings, so those playing the course cannot make their own choices for the greens. This would then allow the Course Designer to create several greens with a distinct variation, based upon the way they wanted the course. The edges of greens could then be harder then perhaps the centre, seeing more balls roll off the green if the aim wasn't right. It would allow you to also roll the ball onto the green with little pitch and run shots, or putting from the edges of greens, allowing greater changes in the course texture properties where perhaps it's needed.

If you want to create a basic course with the default textures, fine.. then allow the standard hard/fast or soft/slow options for those playing it. But hopefully the guys here at PP will allow us to go further and recreate something out there, that really isn't the type of golf game or course, we're used to.

#12 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

I like the idea but it can be added as a difficulty option. What K11 suggests is 10 perfect snapped shots with no wind they will all end up within a couple of yards from each other but none on the exact same spot. Having the course play differently from one day to the next is something totally different. 

The reason to have it as optional is so that during testing you're working with exact physics and results. 

(I apologize if I'm repeating someone else... didn't read every word in all the posts :blink: )

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#13 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Oh my, quite a backlog of open questions I find here this fine morning... Thanks, guys!

@Axe: Your nice picture is helping a lot. It shows what I called "pool table physics": Bounces and rolls on a surface that are dictated by the same physics algorhythms throughout, from the first bounce to the last roll. When the ball lands, for instance, the value for the friction is 100 - and as the ball hops and rolls this friction remains 100. On a real golf course, though, with the ground being softer or harder foot after foot, the grass and its grain varying in length and density, this value can't possibly be the same.

So what I mean is that in my fuzzy mode the friction value is allowed to randomly float between, say, 95 and 105. On the first bounce it could be 102, on the second it could be 96, on the third it is 100, and as the ball rolls out it fluctuates through 101, 95, 100, 103 and 98. This would ensure that no golf shot is ever the same and that if 3 identical shots land on the same spot, the ball would still end up in slightly different places. Like this (click to enlarge):

Attached File  3balls.jpg   71.56KB   23 downloads

And yes, I exaggerated a bit for illustration purposes. But do we want this? Do we want the exact same shot to have slightly different results always? Do we want to accept an element of lottery into this precision-based game? I, for one, do: Based on past observations on real golf courses I accept that a small amount of unpredictability and erratic trajectory is a realistic element. Maybe I just wasn't good enough then (18 handicap), but I still maintain that total, mathematical coherence is alien to the spirit of golf - hence my conclusion that we should incorporate some ghosts into the golf machine.

Others may disagree - and of course that's totally okay! I'm not out to convince anybody, I'm simply sharing my views without any preconceived idea of where this debate might lead.

But if we accept that there should be some sort of lottery affecting our shots beyond our best intentions and skills (and be it to a very small degree of a few inches that way or a couple feet the other way), the question arises of how this "randomness" should be implemented into the game. And also which method would be the most fair to all the players. Which leads me to the cogitations of our very own, sniggering golf hound...

@IanD: I do believe that my fuzziness should supersede all the design choice made by the course designer and the specific playing conditions set for a round of golf. All of these do matter and will impact the game play, of course. But after all has been said and done, it comes down to the observation - or rather, the choice - if the exact same shot at 0 wind should always lead to the exact same result. I say it shouldn't. 

This also comes down to a question of processing resolution. Since the PG physics engine calculates the ball trajectory in real time, it would stand to reason that if there were enough information available about every aspect of the course, then there would be enough parameters available as to make it sure that the outcome would slightly alter anyway. Yet what I do know for now is that the course geometry will be defined by a grid with about half a yard between vertexes and that each texture (fairway/green/fringe etc) will come with exactly one set of physics attached to it.

But a natural fairway is not like a pool table, where every square inch of surface behaves exactly the same as the next one. It's a messy, uneven, living thing. And since you would need 1) years of tedious work to pre-define all these minute irregularties in the course desgin process (all the way down to a tiny twig of dead wood in your ball path) and 2) super-computers currently used for meteorological forcasts to calculate a real time golf ball trajectory, we need another way.

It's not possible to capture the microscopic complexity of a real life golf course accurately. I'm certain that PerfectGolf will push the envelope in this regard and take it further than any other previous game, but still: Even in their physics setup there is no room for tufts of grass, spike marks, little pebbles underneath the grass, dry patches etc, any sort of variation. And since these variations cannot be simulated, computed, processed (yet), I think we need to add an element of random uncertainty to compensate for their absence.

But would that be fair? Are there other sources, fairer ones, to introduce randomness? Take the wind, for instance: If the wind would constantly shift and change, then this wind would influence the ball throughout all phases of the shot and this would lead to some slight differences in the final position of the ball. So the wind and it's random shifts in strength and angles would act as the source of that desired randomness. Possible.. but for my taste still not erratic and unpredictable enough.

I do believe that the fairest way to include this desired unpredictabilty is by fuzzy physics - thus, by lottery. Justice is blind, after all, and favors no-one. With 1000s of shot played, the results of this lottery will spread out into a Bell Curve (Look it up if you can't follow, Bell Curves are ruling our lives!): Very few extremely good or bad breaks, but an overwhelmingly average majority of completly normal and predictable results. "Them's the breaks"...

Daz observed correctly, further above, that sometimes pool table physics should be allowed to apply, so that the first lottery should be about regular alpha physics being enabled or voided. I agree. Pool table physics are not a bad thing at all, they represent the ideal behaviour of a golf ball. 
Rather than meddle with paramaters like friction and viscosity and somesuch stuff, I think it would be enough to very cautiously randomize the bounce force and bounce angle of a shot. Does the ball take a harder, lower or a softer, steeper bounce (compared to the preset physics value) at impact? And will it proceed at a true angle, as defined by the spacial inclination of the surface, or will it deviate slightly to the left or right?
While the ball rolls out, the lottery would continue. The angle might sometimes deviate a tiny fraction, and the roll speed will not decrease uniformely, but slow down and speed up very, very, very slightly. I would absolutely love to see a rolling ball hop up half an inch into the air without visible cause, as it can be sometimes observed in real golf.

How to translate all of this into workable, mathematical formulae? I wouldn't know. I'd love to hear from the Devs if they already have thought about this sort of stuff and if so, if they think this is worth their while to pursue.

@ highfade:I like your idea of including Fuzziness into the pre-round selection for a golf game. You would get to select the speeds for the fairways and greens and, as an added option, the "Course Maintenance". From "Manicured" (pool table physics) to "Neglected" (very random bounces possible). Yet one more choice for the players.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#14 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thanks K11 for the reply..

In TW's PC Series,  you can never have Zero wind, the lowest setting is STILL which always gives you a variable wind from 0 to 2 mph.

So  here are 3 shots from the same spot, notice the lighter colored tracer actually had some backspin and the other 2 did not..

So I made 3 shots and had 3 different results.. Now, the bounce was still pretty much the same but they all ended up in different spots..

I use TS and I could never (in TW PC) end up with the same exact results from the same shot..

vy9rep.jpg

So, although the bounce always seems to be the same, 1 high one, 1 lower one and then a roll out, there always seems to be a different result.

Shots Never hit in exactly the same spot and at least in TW's every shot seems to end up in a different spot..

I"m thinking that this is Your ( K11) desired results, so even though the bounce seems to be the same, you still get a different end result?

I don't know how it works in Links but this seems like what you want?

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#15 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Axe,

Looking at your pic, they aren't 3 exact same shots, as they have all flown different distances before coming in to contact with the ground, so they seem to have either different launch angles or slightly different club head speeds.

What I would like to see from Perfect Golf is that if 3 shots are all identical, instead of them all bouncing and ending up in the very same position, there is a little bit of randomness in the outcome and they may finish a few inches/feet apart at the conclusion of the shot.

#16 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

I concede that my concern is highly hypothetical, Axe. Also, I'm aware of the possibilities of ball spin to influence the bounce and roll of a ball. But what I'm talking about all takes place after the club head has impacted the ball, when the ball is, so to say, released into the wilderness and when nature takes over. And nature always is a little bit chaotic...

But perhaps you are right: The probabilty of hitting the exact same shot twice or even more is so small that there may be no point at all in attempting to deal with tiny unpredictabilities after they land. And as long as that hypothetical instance of perfectly identical shots is so implausible, you will get different outcomes anyway and there is no need to bother any further.

Your 3 shots on your picture (thanks for using visuals, btw, they do help so much) all look a bit too perfect, almost logical, inescapable in a logical way: This does this, that leads to that and so on...  Nothing wrong with that, but I think there needs to be just an added element of surprise. A slight hiccup in a perfect graph, if you will... just a hint of chaos to spice up the shot...  It's a matter of personal tastes, perhaps.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#17 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

Daz, those shots are as exact as I could make them from MY END. That's a point, I can't make the exact shot twice. In TW's Pc there is no 0 wind, you always have some wind, those greens are not exactly flat either, I know, I made them, so that is a factor also...

You see, I could never make the exact same shot, I did everything the same way but I could be off slightly from one mouse swing to the next therefore the different ending results, one swing was slightly harder or softer then the other. Probably the same thing with 3 click, you will never exactly replicate each mouse click again, there is your randomness..

I hear ya K11,  I do agree that accept for the shot that had backspin, (not from anything I did) the other 2 bounce pretty much the same but I couldn't land one on top of the other to get a True Exact Shot..

As long as this wouldn't effect putting, then I am with ya.. :)

I'm just afraid if we start getting Randomness added into the game, so if you make that perfect shot right at the cup, you will miss because of the Random factor that is in the game.. If that could be avoided then I'm on board..

• Kablammo11 likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#18 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

I'm just afraid if we start getting Randomness added into the game, so if you make that perfect shot right at the cup, you will miss because of the Random factor that is in the game.. If that could be avoided then I'm on board..

On the plus side, axe, if you hit an almost-perfect-yet-not-quite-perfect-enough-shot at the cup, that ball might now go in - randomness not necessarily works to your detriment. And this tallies with my anecdotal experience of the game. Perfection (though featured prominently in the name of our local overlords) is an unachievable absolute. Nothing, ever, in this universe, has been or will ever be perfect. 

Even some putts might and should be affected. We often see on TV how the last foot of a putt, just as the momentum is dying, is marked by little, jerky changes of direction and hops and twitches. Not every time, yes, but sometimes these last inches look very erratic and beyond control.

Back in TWO there were quite a few Ace Hunters, scoping out suitable greens and positions to suss out the perfect shot with the highest probabilty of getting a hole-in-one. These guys would be quite sad if they didn't get 2 or 3 aces a day! Well, it was a legit way of having fun and I'm not at all saying that they should have entertained themselves in another fashion. I, myself, had above 50 aces and some 38 double eagles over a period of more than two years in that game (without using previews and limiting myself to two rounds a day for over 18 months), because the physics were always so true, so completely constant, so billiard table smooth...  perfection of this kind is, imho, inhuman.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#19 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Daz, those shots are as exact as I could make them from MY END. That's a point, I can't make the exact shot twice.

Also, this (I can't do it myself, no Mac): Has anyone tried to play the exact same shot twice in the Alpha Build of the Terrain Physics Engine with the exact same settings and no wind? Is that even possible? And if so, do the balls end up in the same spot?

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#20 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

In reference to your reply that starts "On the plus side, Axe".. ( I could have quoted you but I was to slow. lol)

Very well said K11 and point well taken... I agree with everything you just said and you made several excellent points just now... :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users