#21 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:58 AM

It's very interesting indeed and seems very unlikely to have happened by accident..

I wonder what is really going on behind the scenes on golf with both EA and HB.

HB going silent and doing and saying nothing for so long combined with EA reactivating servers for what we thought was a long dead interest of theirs...is curious for sure..

I wondered about the possibility of EA Sports farming out a PGA branded product to HB Studios.   I just can't imagine EA Sports settling for a Unity built title in their sports games though?

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#22 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:03 AM

I wondered about the possibility of EA Sports farming out a PGA branded product to HB Studios.   I just can't imagine EA Sports settling for a Unity built title in their sports games though?

I wonder..

Does HB have the talent and know how (or perhaps they could hire for it) to take over the source code of Rory and work on building the next version of an EA game, perhaps for next gen consoles, which are due at the end of this year I believe, right?

#23 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:25 AM

I wonder..

Does HB have the talent and know how (or perhaps they could hire for it) to take over the source code of Rory and work on building the next version of an EA game, perhaps for next gen consoles, which are due at the end of this year I believe, right?

I wonder..

I'm not sure HB Studios could take over the source code of Rory and go from there.  I think the reason they went with Unity for TGC was because it's cheap, and they didn't have a big development budget initially (not that they have one now).  An EA contract with HBS would likely mean the end to user developed courses, I would image.  I'm not sure how that would go over with the golf gaming public, who've now come to expect that.

I don't have anything to hang my hat on with this though, as a venture like this is out of my experience.  It'll be fascinating to watch if something like this develops between EA and HBS.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#24 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

We need to face the truth that PC gamers are litterly a dying breed.

The number of gamers who use Steam would suggest that you are erm... incorrect about this/talking out of your 'arris (delete as appropriate) :D although you are unfortunately very probably correct about this as far as golf games go.

• Abe likes this

#25 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:19 AM

PC gamers are litterly a dying breed.

Nope...

You would be incorrect on this assumption.  You might try using a search engine for facts and factoids. ;)

This is just one of many statistics sites on the web.

https://www.wepc.com...ame-statistics/

• jspirate likes this

#26 maxie

maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

Doesn't matter when there are only a small % that are interested or actually play golf on the p.c. There is simply no market for it
  • Buck likes this

#27 maxie

maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

• maxie likes this

#28 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

Doesn't matter when there are only a small % that are interested or actually play golf on the p.c. There is simply no market for it

There never were more golfers than football and other video game sports.  Golfers are in the hundreds of thousands, not millions. That's a big market for EA, Steam, Origin etc.  Someone will capture that audience with a good golf game. Golf video games are not dead by any means.

However. You're entitled to your opinion whether or not you use a search engine or glean your information just from game forums. ;)

49460793907_041e15716d_o.jpg

#29 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:01 PM

I largely agree.

Crusher (Lee) is erroneously conflating interesting in “PC Gaming” with interest in “PC Golf Gaming”

The interest (lack there of) in virtual/PC Golf is the issue here..

#30 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

I largely agree.

Crusher (Lee) is erroneously conflating interesting in “PC Gaming” with interest in “PC Golf Gaming”

The interest (lack there of) in virtual/PC Golf is the issue here..

Buck (Turner) is simply denying facts to try and cause another conflict in here.

Not in the mood to play your tit-for-tat posting game again.  Go ahead and be the counter-poster in this topic. The floor is all yours.

You may like to waste time in this forum, so have at it.  :rolleyes:

#31 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:22 PM

Buck is simply denying facts

Which “facts”?

Did you post data about PC golf game interest that I missed?

I would love for there to be actual development interest in PC golf games.

All evidence suggests there is none, save for Trackman which of course requires their hardware. 

I agree with you that PC gaming is doing great...it’s the golf part that is not

#32 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:25 AM

There never were more golfers than football and other video game sports. Golfers are in the hundreds of thousands, not millions. That's a big market for EA, Steam, Origin etc. Someone will capture that audience with a good golf game. Golf video games are not dead by any means.

However. You're entitled to your opinion whether or not you use a search engine or glean your information just from game forums. ;)

49460793907_041e15716d_o.jpg

Lol. Your chart does nothing to refute what he said. Have a look here and tell me ohh video game guru, how can the numbers be so low for what’s deemed by some to be the best golf game?
https://steamcharts.com/app/288140

Even that “other” golf game draws a bigger crowd. https://steamcharts.com/app/695290

Video golf is on life support till EA dip back in or 2k brings out a serious TGC that people want.

#33 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:37 AM

Lol. Your chart does nothing to refute what he said. Have a look here and tell me ohh video game guru, how can the numbers be so low for what’s deemed by some to be the best golf game?

Even that “other” golf game draws a bigger crowd. https://steamcharts.com/app/695290

Video golf is on life support till EA dip back in or 2k brings out a serious TGC that people want.

Way to make a point and back it up with irrefutable facts ArcadeHack!  Color me impressed  B)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#34 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:33 AM

Way to make a point and back it up with irrefutable facts ArcadeHack!  Color me impressed  B)

I doubt he'll understand you're being facetious.  ;)  :lol: 

#35 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

I doubt he'll understand you're being facetious. ;) :lol:

Good job. You’ve painted yourself into another corner.

#36 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

ArcadeHack, my apologies for not seeing through your thickly veiled facetiousness... I'll chalk this up as a learning experience and hopefully do better next time ;)

• Abe likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#37 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

Tell you one thing, for the "greatest sim ever made", as some would call it, sure does not seem that way from a statistical and player base perspective..  the average of 50 players must be the regulars at PGLS. 

#38 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

Tell you one thing, for the "greatest sim ever made", as some would call it, sure does not seem that way from a statistical and player base perspective..  the average of 50 players must be the regulars at PGLS. 

I’ve always wondered how accurate those types of things are...

Anyone know?

For instance - TGC2019 it says is only in the “few hundreds” itself..

https://steamcharts.com/app/695290

We to believe that?

If so - man - this sport really is more niche and “done” than even I realized and it’s no wonder studios have bailed on virtual simulation oriented golf.

#39 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

It just doesn’t seem accurate to me...

AO Tennis 2, a new game, with just a couple hundred playing at any time?

That has to be low, no?

https://steamcharts.com/app/1072500

#40 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:12 PM

I would assume it would be accurate in one way or another...  don't see why data like that cannot be pulled since the game launches from Steam itself... but then again, who knows?  

• Abe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users