Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hello all

Here is version 1 of my mouse swing guide. Please also study the official “Getting started with the Perfect Golf mouse ‘Motion swing’ guide on the PG steam community page.

Disclaimer:

The information in this "guide" is based on my practical experiences trying to master mouse swing. It is not intended to market any product or to suggest that this is the only way to set up mouse swing in Perfect Golf (PG).

Assumptions

We want to achieve:

• Maximum control over shot power
  • Maximum control over mouse swing tempo

To achieve this you need to adjust the movement speed of your mouse cursor and in-game sensitivity to support the ergonomics of your wrist and hand movement. I use horizontal mouse swing (I found I had a little more control with this method) and anchor my wrist on the mouse pad to swing. Let’s start with setting up your mouse.

1. Set up your mouse

1.1 Adjust the mouse properties in Windows (Win7)

Control panel>Mouse>Pointer Options>Motion
or
Control panel>Hardware and Sound>Mouse

Set the pointer motion as slow as possible. I suggest the 3rd calibration mark from the left. This makes your mouse pointer speed in Windows very slow, but improves tracking. It is VERY important to set this as slow as possible and then to adjust your mouse speed faster in your mouse software.

Make sure that Enhance pointer precision is off!

Please note that this guide assumes that you have a mouse with a dpi range close to 250 – 6400. If not, you will need to set your Windows motion speed to the 4th calibration mark.

1.2 Adjust the mouse properties in your mouse software

Modern gaming mice allow for multiple dots per inch (dpi) settings that alter the tracking speed of your mouse cursor. The typical dpi range is 250 – 6400 dpi but some can go up to 12 000 dpi. The typical non gaming mouse’s dpi is between 600 – 1000 dpi. Set up 2 dpi settings, 1 for PG and 1 for Windows. The PG dpi setting should be lower (slower) than the dpi setting for Windows.

I suggest setting the PG dpi to 1500 - 3000. Your mouse speed will be slow in game but your improved mouse swing control will make up for it. Then set your Windows dpi to something higher, probably 4000 - 6000 (if your mouse doesn’t support this range of dpi settings, apply the principle).

Always leave the PG dpi setting at whatever you have chosen and adjust the Windows dpi up if you want faster tracking in Windows.

Set mouse polling to maximum.

Make sure that mouse acceleration is off!

1.3 Adjust PG settings

Go to your swing sensitivity settings in PG. The Swing Meter Sensitivity adjusts your long game and the Swing Meter Short Game Sensitivity your short game. They are both by default set to 1.00. You need to adjust these settings to a speed that suits you. For the long game you are probably looking at a setting from 1.00-1.30.

For the short game you need a slower swing to accurately control putting power. Here you are probably looking at a setting from 1.50-2.00. The major downside of such a slow swing speed is that chips and pitches are tied to the short game sensitivity so these shots are annoying to play. Flops however still use the long game settings it seems ... so at least they work better.

From here you need to adjust your long and short game settings, practice adjust, practice adjust until you are comfortable (this may take some time and cause grey hairs).

2. Set up your swing

Now that you know all the technical settings you can adjust, you need to apply that to your swing.

Set the difficulty to Beginner if you are learning or to a level that suits you.
Practice your swing without hitting your ball (de-select the yellow radio button at the bottom of the swing meter).

2.1 Determine your physical swing motion range

• Settle your wrist in a comfortable position in the middle of your mouse pad
  • Click on the 9 o’clock part of the swing meter for horizontal mouse swing or 12 o’clock part of swing meter for vertical mouse swing
  • Move your mouse cursor right (horizontal ms) or down (vertical ms) until you reach a comfortable horizontal or vertical position without straining or having to move your wrist i.e take your backswing. You have now established the comfortable range your wrist and hand can move to at the top of your backswing.

2.2 Adjust your dpi and in-game sensitivity settings

• Now, within this comfortable range of movement you need to adjust the mouse dpi and the in-game sensitivity to get the perfect swing.
  • Adjust your mouse dpi so that it allows your cursor to move from it's start position to the maximum comfortable wrist range i.e. the top of your backswing. This should be +- 5 - 6 centimetres (2 - 2.2 inches), depending on the size of your hand and flexibility of your wrist, or more or less to the right middle (horizontal ms) or bottom middle (vertical ms) point in the swing meter. This ensures a steady measured swing that is easier to control.
  • Adjust the in-game sensitivity so that at your maximum comfortable wrist extension your power swing meter arrow is at 100% power.

2.3 Practice your swing tempo

• Now practice your swing. Swing back at a steady, measured pace. At 100% stop momentarily then swing back to the mouse cursors starting position slightly faster. Try to consistently achieve the magical 0.25 speed ratio :rolleyes:.
  • To complete your swing you must move your mouse cursor just past it’s original starting point.
  • You also have a maximum time allowed for your stroke. If it is too slow you will top the ball. I have set it up so that I swing just fast enough to avoid topping the ball.

3. Putting

Putting works somewhat differently to your long shots. Here you need to set your in-game sensitivity lower (slower) so that you can control the power for shorter puts consistently. This may mean that puts over 11 or 12 meters (35 foot +) will force you to extend your wrist or hand beyond the comfortable horizontal or vertical position, but that is just how it works currently (the pitch and chip game also suffers from this). The direction of your swing affects how straight you hit your put so you will need to practice swinging back and through in a straight line.

IMHO we need a third sensitivity setting for chips, pitches and the flop shot.

4. Conclusion

I hope that this guide will help you to improve your mouse swing, it covered the basics :). Don’t get discouraged, it took me many hours of practice to get the hang of it, and I still need to do a lot of work to improve.

Regards
Trath

Hardware tips

Here are links to 3 hardware vendors that I think produce good quality products. I suggest a wired mouse (but there are viable wireless ones as well) and don’t forget a good MOUSE PAD!

http://gaming.logite...-za/gaming-mice
http://steelseries.com/gaming-mice
http://www.corsair.c...ing/gaming-mice
http://www.corsair.c.../landing/lapdog

The lapdog may be something those who play from the couch might find interesting and useful.

My set up

Mouse: Logitech G502
Mouse pad: Razor Ironclad
Windows Motion speed: 3rd calibration point
PG mouse dpi: 1500
Windows mouse dpi: 5000
Long Game sensitivity: 1.1
Short Game sensitivity: 1.4

• Fairwayman, Crow357, OLYGOLFER and 2 others like this

Asus ROG Maximus Gene - i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz - Radeon R9 FURY - 16 gigs ram - Antec 750W Gold PSU - Samsung EVO 840 250 gig SSD - LG 29UM67 Monitor - Logitech G502 mouse

#2 MetaWhirledPeas

MetaWhirledPeas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:54 PM

Good tips! Lowering the Windows mouse sensitivity is critical for good putting, and mouse accleration is probably not a good idea for most people using a smooth swinging motion. I've said this in threads before, but I believe the game's input resolution matches that of the Windows cursor, so a simple test to see if your pointer speed is low enough is to go into MSPaint, select the pencil tool, then draw some vertical lines. If the lines jump by 2 pixels at once, your Windows pointer speed is too high.

#3 blueblood1995

blueblood1995

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:03 AM

Brilliant Trath! Can we have this as a sticky at the top of the forum?

iMac (late 2012)

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

27-inch display (2560 x 1440)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048MB

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

@Trath:

What screen resolution are you running at?

#5 sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

I find that if I turn off 'enhance pointer precision' then it messes up my motion swing completely, to the point that I cant even take a shot.

#6 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

Hi Sideshowbob

My assumption is that you have got used to a small amount of mouse acceleration, perhaps this works better for you.

However ....

Mouse acceleration (what it's called in your mouse software) or using Windows terminology 'enhance pointer precision' is where the mouse cursors speed accelerates in the direction that you are moving the mouse. It moves progressively faster and faster far outstripping the corresponding movement speed of your wrist or hand on the mouse. In most cases gamers turn this functionality off as it is causes less predictable mouse cursor movement and therefore makes it difficult to maintain pin point accuracy with your mouse.

For instance in FPS games you need to have very precise aiming to get a headshot, or in Starcraft 2 you need to manually click on 20 or 30 tiny units all clustered together on the screen or in Dota 2 you need to click on heroes in a 5 v 5 battle. Mouse acceleration makes it more difficult to click accurately every time.

In PG I prefer to have absolute control over the speed and acceleration of my mouse cursor with my wrist or hand movement. I hope this helps explains this feature, good luck finding a setup that suits you.

@Buck 2560 x 1080p

Asus ROG Maximus Gene - i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz - Radeon R9 FURY - 16 gigs ram - Antec 750W Gold PSU - Samsung EVO 840 250 gig SSD - LG 29UM67 Monitor - Logitech G502 mouse

#7 sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hi Trath and thanks for the reply.

Yes I do have a fairly short mouse movement for my swing, have tried with the enhance off but its not to my liking.

I will stick with my way for now, but you have some interesting points.

Thanks.

#8 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:10 AM

Hello all

I adjusted my Windows settings accordingly and then the mouse software and turnned off the things you said to turn off -  I had a better round of golf, even holed a chip shot and had some putts go in dead center which is unheard of for me. so I had a much better round of golf Thanks - I basically play like Mcllroy with his injury. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#9 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

Hi J.H, I am glad that your game improved.

#10 LarryLamb43

LarryLamb43

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

Bought game on Friday and read this theme yesterday.    I adjusted my mouse (optical not complex) slightly lower to about four and unchecked the 'enhance pointer precision' box.  The swing would not work so went back in and ticked the box and the swing works just fine now.

I fiddled around with the screen resolution but this does not seem to affect the gameplay.

Colin

#11 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

I have tried this, but going so low in Windows settings makes it  impossible to use in WIndows unless I set the DPI to 1600 rather than 800, to make it usable. Then there is no control whatsoever in Links Powerstroke. Those are the only 2 DPI settings available on my Razer Salmosa, and funds don't permit the purchase of a new mouse as my GPU is on its way out, so money has had to go on that.

Posted Image

#12 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

I have tried this, but going so low in Windows settings makes it  impossible to use in WIndows unless I set the DPI to 1600 rather than 800, to make it usable. Then there is no control whatsoever in Links Powerstroke. Those are the only 2 DPI settings available on my Razer Salmosa, and funds don't permit the purchase of a new mouse as my GPU is on its way out, so money has had to go on that.

Yes, this is an issue I agree.  I have to dial down DPI quite a bit to make motion swing manageable.  But then I can't use Windows on those settings because the mouse is painfully slow!!  

I bought a gaming mouse that enables me to flip DPI settings on the fly.  That's the only solution.  Hopefully once you get past your GPU issue you can dedicate funds to buying a new mouse - it will make a world of difference for you.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#13 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

I have several "gaming mice" that I have purchased, but I have found them far to large for my hand when they arrive. I also found that Links powerstroke prefers optical mice rather than laser mice.  The Salmosa is a good fit for my hand as was the old Logitech MX310, but that didn't work with Windows 7, so there is little chance it would with 10.

Posted Image

#14 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

Hi Stephen, it does help tremendously to have a mouse that scales up to 6400 dpi and can switch quickly between dpi settings. I flip between 5000 dpi and 1500 dpi regularly depending on whether I'm in PG, Windows or another game or app. For a smaller gaming mouse I would suggest one of the following ...

Steelseries Rival 300:

https://steelseries....-mice/rival-300

Logitech G303:

http://gaming.logite...ming-mouse-g303

Both seem to meet your size and optical laser requirements ... funds permitting of course. Please note I use a Logitech G502, so I don't have personal experience with either mouse  :)

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

#15 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the info Trath.

The first requirement would be that it plays Links powerstroke. My Windows setting is just right of the middle and my Razer Salmosa is set to 800dpi and 125mhz. Anything different to this makes the swing far to twitchy.  With this setting  I can Blue Line the vast majority of shots but most importantly, putts are hit cleanly. I can also get a tempo such that I mostly hit good snaps.

As it stands PG would be a secondary consideration.

They would certainly be a little pricey for me as it stands  :o

Posted Image

#16 jmac51

jmac51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:52 AM

Has anyone written/posted similar information or suggestions to improve performance for those of us playing on a Mac?

#17 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

The beauty of having a mouse that allows different dpi settings is that you can create a profile for each of your games or programs. For example:

Profile 1 = Windows

Profile 2 = PG

Profile 3 = Links

All you would need to do is spend a little time testing and setting up the profiles and then simple click your profile/dpi change button on your mouse 1, 2 and 3 times to seamlessly switch between profiles so that each of your favourite games behave exactly as you want.

#18 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

This looks to be more in my price range once Christmas and the New Year are over http://www.amazon.co...=I2U5ZDSVPEGUO4

Posted Image

#19 OLYGOLFER

OLYGOLFER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWestern U.S.

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Trath.....couldn't figure what went wrong with mouse/meter. Reset to apprx your advice...game 100%

better ! !

#20 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Kingdom,Republic of Vermont

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

Very helpful.Abit off topic but how do I cancel(stop) a swing mid swing?I see references to swing cancelling aid but can't find it.Thanks

Windows 10 Pro -Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard-Corsair DDR4 2666 MHZ(16GB)

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Turbo Edition-Dell S3220DGF-3C-Logitech G502

Finally found a competitive AI "Phil Mucklebot" Aggressive Pro 3,3,3,3,3,5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users